Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Design - two different actions for each file

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mat_les
478 Views, 7 Replies

Copy Design - two different actions for each file

Is it possible to set two different action for one file?
It concerns me on bigger scale, but let me explain my case within simple examples:

I have Main assembly with two .iam subassemblies. These subassemblies include the same .ipt part:

Main assembly:
1. Subassembly 1:
 1a) Part1
2. Subasssembly 2:

2a) Part1

I want to copy Main assembly as well as Subassembly1 together with Part1 (1a), but would like to keep Subassembly 2 without any changes. Is there any way to do this?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SharkDesign
in reply to: mat_les

Yes, just select the ones you want to copy and then right click and choose a copy method (I always use copy to) All the parts not selected will get reused but still be part of the assembly. 

You can also right click parts and choose 'reuse.'

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 8
SharkDesign

I assume this is Vault?

If you're using the copy in Inventor, use these icons to decide what is copied and what is new. 

jameswillo_0-1637845845836.png

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 4 of 8
Gabriel_Watson

You have three four options for each file: Copy (creates a renamed new file), Reuse (keeps the subcomponent as is in the new pool), Exclude (removes the subcomponent in the new pool of assemblies), and Exclude.

Your doubt comes from how you approached the problem, but if you see the operation in another way it becomes simple. Keep in mind: a copy design action does ONE PASS. Therefore, you can choose as follows:

Main assembly --> Copy To
1. Subassembly 1 --> Copy To
1a) Part1 --> Copy To
2. Subasssembly 2 --> Reuse
2a) Part1 --> Reuse

The result becomes like:
New_Main assembly:
1. New_Subassembly 1:
1a) New_Part1
2. Subasssembly 2:
2a) Part1

(as @SharkDesign said above, copy to is always best since you can right away pick the location where you are saving the new files to)

EDIT:

Option 1) Copy design Subassembly 1 and Part 1 first, then pick "Replace" for it on the second pass where you copy design the main assembly.

Option 2) Copy design the main assembly with Subassembly 2 and Part 1 set to REUSE, then copy design Subassembly 1 with "Copy" for Part 1 and "Reuse" (EDIT) for Subassembly 1.

Message 5 of 8
mat_les

I'd like to get the results as shown by @Gabriel_Watson and thought it was as simple as you described, but the problem is if I click "copy" or "copy to.." for Part1 in the Subassembly1 then Part1 in Subassembly2 gets "copy" action automatically. The same happens when I click "reuse" on one of Part1..

Seems like multiple Part1 cannot be treated separately even though they are located in different subassemblies.

Maybe it is about the settings..?

Message 6 of 8
Gabriel_Watson

Ok, I got what you mean now. Sorry, you are right about the limitations and my previous post has to be corrected.

I tested here and now I see that what you are looking for can only be done in two passes.
Option 1) Copy design Subassembly 1 and Part 1 first, then pick "Replace" for it on the second pass where you copy design the main assembly.

Option 2) Copy design the main assembly with Subassembly 2 and Part 1 set to REUSE, then copy design Subassembly 1 with "Copy" for Part 1 and "Reuse" (EDIT) for Subassembly 1.

Message 7 of 8
mat_les
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

Yes, you are right, but it is a bit complicated for larger projects.

I was hoping there was a trick I didn't know that would do it in one pass and make my life easier.. 😀

Message 8 of 8
Gabriel_Watson

You can handle it top-down or bottom-up.
Another top-down method I did not describe above that may help you (especially if you are copying all to one destination folder) is to simply create copies for everything, not worrying about assemblies you need to keep intact, then execute a final copy design to REPLACE the subcomponents with original unaltered ones. You would also need to delete the unneeded copies after.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report