Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert IPT To STL For 3D Printer Part Becomes Smaller

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3423 Views, 8 Replies

Convert IPT To STL For 3D Printer Part Becomes Smaller

I made a part on inventor and when i converted to stl and viewed it on the printing software, the part shows up very very small. Yes i have checked that my units are in inches and have made multiple STLs to test and even if i change the units from inches to say, millimeters, the part is the same size (extremely small). I have been troubleshooting for two days on my own and can't find anything. Any help is appreciated!

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: IPT To STL issues

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

these are the current parts, i tried converting the units of the actual project from inches to millimeters, but still nothing!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

these are the current parts, i tried converting the units of the actual project from inches to millimeters, but still nothing!

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

Can you attach your resulting *.stl files here?

Can you try the attached file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
mcgyvr

Works just fine here..

You are likely saving it with the incorrect units as you think you need to change it in the wrong spot..

Do not change the units in Inventors document settings..

Instead before you press the "save" button hit the "options" button next to it and set the units in that screen that your viewer software is expecting..

I use "CURA" for my slicer and it expects mm.. So when I save have it set to mm there but everything in Inventor is modeled as inches..

STL Options.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hi there,

I have Inventor 2012.

The only way I found to get round this problem was to set my "Document Settings", "Units" to cm.

Even though the settings in "Save as"/ Options is set to mm, and using Repetier the units in that are set to mm.

Do you think this is a bug in Inventor 2012?

Regards

Rick

Message 7 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi Ricky,

STL/OBJ files do not have a sense of unit. The mesh geometry is recorded in absolute values. It is up to exporting system to set the correct scale. On Inventor 2012, the default STL export unit is centimeter. As a result, the receiving end will need to set to centimeter for correct scale.

You can simply change the STL export unit by clicking on Options in Export dialog -> select mm as the export unit scale.

It should work. Please try it and confirm the behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Thanks for coming back on that but I have tried setting mm in the options. this still resulted in the stl file being scaled down by 10.

As I put in my first post it seems that I have to set the document settings to cm.

Ricky

Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi Ricky,

I am sorry I am confused. I might misunderstand the issue. But, if the export unit is in sync with the printer unit, it should work. Otherwise, there is a bug here. Do you mind sharing an Inventor file exhibiting such behavior?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report