Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center - Replace Family Template Error

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
nealon.luke
483 Views, 1 Reply

Content Center - Replace Family Template Error

Hey,

So I'm trying to create a bolt family with the starting place being a pre-existing bolt family that comes default with Inventor. To do this, I followed this webpage

When I created my custom family, I used the "Save a Copy As" to duplicate the file. Before doing anything else, I tested this new copy, and it was able to successfully generate new bolts in assemblies. Then, I used the "Open from Content Center" and "Custom" to save the template-generated part file, which would in the future become my part template.

The edits I made to the new part file were such that they simplified the design while still using the same variable names so that the Family file would still work seamlessly with it. However, I did completely change the way the bolt was modeled (I deleted all the old extrusions/etc and replaced them with my own).

I saved the part file, went to the new Family, and used the Replace Family Template command to apply my new part file as the Family Template. I got the "success" message (can't remember the exact words, but it worked).

I went to test the Family, and after selecting the bolt's parameters, I got the error, "Unable to place component." This error appeared for multiple combinations of bolt parameters.

What am I doing wrong? If it makes a difference, I'm in the process of moving everything to the vault, so my project file is there, along with my default templates and such, but until I'm done perfecting the Content Center, its home is on my personal machine.

Thanks in advance!

-Luke

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

@nealon.luke

You stated "However, I did completely change the way the bolt was modeled (I deleted all the old extrusions/etc and replaced them with my own)"   As far as I know this is not allowed..  There are stuff written behind the scenes and when you start messing with that if breaks it..  Replace Family Template is not to be used for this type of modification

If you are completely redesigning like you state, you need to create your own part, author it for hardware and then publish it to your own read/write content center.   You can use an existing custom saved content center part as your starting point but you can't go back and start tearing apart like you have.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report