Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing derived part link

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
22572 Views, 25 Replies

Changing derived part link

Is it possible to change the derived part link to another part like you would replace a component in an assembly?  My issue is that i created a part and used a derived part within.  Well this part number changed and it just so happens that the derived part needs to change as well.  I tried the design assistant, and changed the link there but it didnt seem to want to take.  I tried renaming the derived part, and opening the file...i get the error but i still am unable to change the link that way either.  Any help would be appreciated

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Bert_Bimmel
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Unbelievable! 25 releases till today, and yet, noone at Autodesk had com up with the idea, that it might be useful to create a modified copy of a set of mirrored parts, i.e create a copy of the source-part for further editing,  then create a copy of the derived mirror part, and then replace the reference, so that the new derived part shows the changes of the copy of the source part! (As mentioned above, creating a new derived part from that changed source part is NOT the same, as the new derived part will have a different InternalName and thus, they're not exchangeable without Inventor complaining - and, if there is some downstream-editing of the derived part, you'd have to recreate it from scratch)

For twenty years I have been doing this by cheating in Windows-Explorer just as described above now, but it's tedious that you always need to close all referencing documents to proceed, then wait for ages while Inventor scans your entire workspace for the lost source part, before prompting for manual resolving, and the reopen everything again!

And by the way: The same applies to presentation- (i.e.) .ipn-files!

Instead you get an ipn-Environment that has been completely messed up. I'd guess, 95 % of all users use presentations for creating exploded views on a drawing, and don't give a dam on its video-creating-capabilities!

Message 22 of 26
SBix26
in reply to: Bert_Bimmel

You can do this in Design Assistant.  Open the mirrored part in DA and copy both it and its base part, and there you have it.  Design Assistant's user interface is badly outdated and not very intuitive, but it works.

I know this is not what you're asking for, but unlike drawings, there is just no way to do a "Change Reference" for derived parts to any file other than a direct copy.  So I don't think you should hold your breath waiting for such a tool.  Would be nice to have, though.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.2 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 23 of 26
scottmoyse
in reply to: SBix26

@SBix26 wrote:

You can do this in Design Assistant.  Open the mirrored part in DA and copy both it and its base part, and there you have it.  Design Assistant's user interface is badly outdated and not very intuitive, but it works.

I know this is not what you're asking for, but unlike drawings, there is just no way to do a "Change Reference" for derived parts to any file other than a direct copy.  So I don't think you should hold your breath waiting for such a tool.  Would be nice to have, though.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.2 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Then there is Copy Design in Vault Basic (every Inventor user should be using Vault Basic even if they work by themselves)... and further copy/replace tools in Vault Workgroup and Professional.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

RevOps Strategy Manager at Toolpath. New Zealand based.

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 24 of 26
Bert_Bimmel
in reply to: scottmoyse

Yeah, or I could write a VBA-macro to perform the task, or use Excel & Apprentice, or tweak the UFRxDoc with a Hex-Editor, or, or ,or....
I am aware of all the workarounds.
The point is, that the developers at Autodesk are so distracted with stuff that noone needs, that they don't care about the obvious flaws.
You're claiming everybody shall at least use Vault-Basic?? Har, har! Before acknowledging that recommendation, Autodesk has to fix some other really serious design flaws, which render the combination of Vault / Inventor almost unusable
(just take look at this thread: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/stop-telling-me-i-need-to-save-something-i-haven-t-cha...)
Instead, I got the excruciatingly dysfunctional Asset- or Protein-Styles wrapped around and hiding the good old FWx-Styles, or that crappy new Window-management which is totally incompatible with workflows, that have been established for decades!
(see https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/bring-back-the-minimize-button-inventor-2020/idc-p/998...)
Message 25 of 26
scottmoyse
in reply to: Bert_Bimmel

<>We're just trying to help you. You weren't clear about the things you had already tried previously or that you were aware of these tools.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

RevOps Strategy Manager at Toolpath. New Zealand based.

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 26 of 26
autodesk.gt24
in reply to: Anonymous

use the comand "rename Browser Nodes"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report