Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenges in Exporting DXF from Inventor 2013 solid model....

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
KEJay74
2133 Views, 8 Replies

Challenges in Exporting DXF from Inventor 2013 solid model....

In attempting to use either 'export face as' or 'export sketch as' from a solid model in Inventor 2013 the resultant DXF file ALWAYS consists of PolyLines.  This prevents other "downstream" software from properly importing the file as a DXF.  Thus far the ONLY work-around I have found is to open the DXF in AutoCAD, Explode the polylines, and then re-save as a DXF from AutoCAD.  Does anyone have any "easier" solution?

Best regards,

KJay

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rdyson
in reply to: KEJay74

Two suggestions:
Attach a file that exhibits your problem with explicit description of the problem
Check out "Publish Tool Lit" in the apps store

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 9
KEJay74

Attached are the IPT and resultant DXF files.  If you open the DXF in AutoCAD you will find that the profiles therein are polylines...NOT...individual lines and arcs.  This is what 'blows up' my downstream software.

KJay

Message 4 of 9
KEJay74

To expand on the explanation of the challenge that I have.  We need 'true' DXF files consisting of ONLY lines, arcs, circles etc. for use with downstream software.  What is produced by Inventor 2013 in either the "Export Face As" or "Export Sketch As" functions are (IMHO) pseudo-DXF files in that they are composed of (primarily) closed polylines.  Currently, I have found that the only manner I have to get back to "true" DXF structure is to open the exported DXF file with AutoCAD, "explode" the polylines, then SaveAs DXF.  This results in a "real" DXF file without polylines.

Useage of the DXF files are for various CNC path programming software.  These range from some older Amada & Trumpf machines to some 'replicator' turning machines.

Hope this helps understand my situation.

Best regards,

KJay

Message 5 of 9
rdyson

I created an IV dwg and did a save copy as acad dwg.

Opened it in Acad, did a list of all curves and there are no polylines.

What are you seeing?

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 9
KEJay74

First off, let me thank you, and to any others, for your responsiveness to this situation. Robot Happy

If I 'open' the DXF (created by Inventor 2013) directly in AutoCAD, I get the profiles.  If you hover the cursor over one of the profiles it lists it (in the tool tips) as a PLINE. If I click anywhere on one of the profiles, I get the entire profile highlighted with the coincident points with grips showing.  If I issue the 'explode' command and select the profiles contained in the DXF and subsequently use AutoCAD's 'Save As DXF' it will be saved as the individual component arcs, lines and circles.  After the 'explode' command (and if I later open the re-saved DXF) if I click on any portion of the profile, it only highlights the individual entity (arc, line etc.).

Once the 'explode' and 'Save As DXF' is done, (in AutoCAD) my downstream software works fine.  However, the DXF issued from Inventor 2013 will NOT function with the downstream software.  The ONLY possible file linkage I have with this downstream software IS via DXF files.

I consider this a significant flaw on ADESK's side.  A 'DXF' file saved by one product should have the exact same functionality as any other product.  In other words, there should NOT be any PLINES in the DXF files.  If the intention of the DXF format (Drawing eXchange Format) is to allow tranfer of intent from one operational system to another, it has been defeated. Robot Sad

The pain is having to make a secondary "conversion" (with another piece of software) after creating the DXF in the first place.

Does anyone know if Autodesk will be addressing this issue (soon)? Robot Frustrated

Best regards, to all,

KJay

Message 7 of 9
KEJay74
in reply to: rdyson

Additional functional process description...

For the process which is being employed, there are NO Inventor IDW or DWG files being created.  Only the model from which to derive toolpath profiles.  This is a EXTREME minimalist approach.  Again, if the DXF file was being saved as it is 'supposed' to be, there would be no issue.

I was asked what I was "seeing"...I have attached a screen shot in which I have opened the DXF file and clicked on the outer profile and then hovered over the inner profile.  These are the PLINEs that I see.

Thanks to all,

KJay

Message 8 of 9
bob_holland

kjay,

I believe that all variation of exporting to DXF from the sketch will provide you with a polyline.

Have you tried the App Exchange?

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVFAD/en/Home

What I can suggest is for you, is  to log a request to our Product Feedback Forum.  This information is reviewed by each product manager for purposes of future development:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Bob Holland

Autodesk Product Support

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 9 of 9
KEJay74

Bob,

Thanks for the info.  I will follow up on this with the Autodesk support forum you mention.  For the time being, I will leave this thread open as a viable "internal to Inventor" solution is not yet forthcoming.

Thanks to all who have responded in my "plight".

Best regards,

KJay

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report