Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Constrain to 3D Sketch in ASSY?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
AlexZW28B
639 Views, 3 Replies

Cannot Constrain to 3D Sketch in ASSY?

Using Inventor 2020.3.2

I am currently working on an assembly, and it consists of many parts with 2D and 3D sketches (contained in parts) that I am using for constraining together along with the physical geometry. I have thus far been able to constrain parts together using 2D sketch geometry - but I am hitting a wall with the 3D geometry. After trying different mates, selection filters, hiding/isolating parts, etc. - thinking Inventor was just not "seeing" the features I was wanting to select - I am now suspicious that this functionality is not likely supported?

Wondering if there is any clarity on whether constraints can be added between a part and a 3D sketch feature in a child component in the assembly. I can currently, with the same part in question, select other geometry in a 2D sketch, but it will not let me select a 3D sketch feature... 

Thoughts?

Labels (5)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: AlexZW28B

Assembly constraints to part level 3d sketches are not supported.. 2d part sketches only..

You can however edit the part and add workfeatures (work axis,etc..) to those 3d sketch elements and constrain to those.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
AlexZW28B
in reply to: mcgyvr

Well... thanks @mcgyvr I appreciate your response - as depressing as it is... I was hopeful - but not optimistic with this one. It feels very restrictive for a Mechanical Product development software - compared to other programs I have used. 

Rant:

During this process of development - I had also found out that you cant create a 3D sketch contained in the assembly... Why? Not sure... but again - I am sure this would be an easy implementation considering the other part files have this functionality... I wish Autodesk would implement more of these simple requests into their software at a faster cadence... and would be easy things to start winning the fringe users back... but oh, well. I will continue my lobbying... 

Message 4 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: AlexZW28B

Like other things in life "If it don't make dollars it don't make sense" and "important to you does not guarantee important to me"... 😁

I've been using Inventor for YEARS and have NEVER created a single 3d sketch let alone constrained to one.. Heck I've never constrained to a 2d sketch either for that matter..  And I very rarely ever hear people talking about doing so too..

Feature (face/edge,etc..) to feature only for me and 99% of the discussions I've seen.. 

Not sure what you are doing but maybe there is a totally different workflow that is more supported for whatever design process you are doing.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report