Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open dwg files in inventor professional 2021

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
QuintenQuin
2951 Views, 22 Replies

Can't open dwg files in inventor professional 2021

Hi,

I am having troubles when opening a .dwg file in inventor professional 2021. I make a drawing, save it, close inventor, open inventor, open the .dwg file and get this message, png below. (the database in [file location] could not be opened).This happens to every .dwg file i make, so i doubt that they al get corrupted. Old .dwg files i open have the same problem. I have reinstalled inventor and the problem is still there.

I use inventor professional 2021.

All .dwg files that have the problem are from that version of inventor or from 2020

Does anyone know how to fix it?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
SBix26
in reply to: QuintenQuin

Attach an example of a .dwg that gives this error.  I'm curious to see if it happens to other Inventor installs.  Then you would know if Inventor is producing corrupted .dwg files on your system, or whether your Inventor is refusing to open perfectly good .dwg files.

Also, does this happen with any other file types?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.2 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 23
johnsonshiue

Hi! I would check two places. 1) Go to Tools -> App Options -> Drawing -> Inventor Drawing. What is the AutoCAD version set to?

2) Close all files and go to Project setting -> Folder options -> Design Data. Are all styles available in the designated Design Data folder?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 23

Goto : Control Panel > Region > Administrative > Change System Locale...

In Region Settings, is the Beta-check checked or not ?

reboot Inventor

bradeneuropeArthur_0-1610613378253.png

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 5 of 23
QuintenQuin
in reply to: johnsonshiue

autocad version 2018, most recent version i have. (scr: settings dwg file)

not sure how i am supposed to check but is says default (src: default)

Message 6 of 23
QuintenQuin
in reply to: SBix26

Rather new to inventor, so not sure if this is what you want in the way you want it. But for science! I dont have this problem with .iam .idw or .ipt. 

Message 7 of 23

I have had the same after a windows update and the previous post solved it easily.

It is a known issue for Autodesk!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 8 of 23

It was checked. I unchecked it and there was no difference.

Message 9 of 23
SBix26

My Inventor 2021 reports the same error when trying to open this file, so your system is somehow producing corrupted .dwg files.  One more thing you might try is to create an .idw file and see if you have the same problem.

Note: no need to zip .dwg files, they can be attached directly to a forum message.

Sam B
LinkedIn

Message 10 of 23
bradeneuropeArthur

Have you had installed a different Higher Inventor version?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 11 of 23
SBix26
in reply to: bradeneuropeArthur

@bradeneuropeArthur wrote:

Have you had installed a different Higher Inventor version?

Not sure what you mean?  I tried opening the OP's dwg file in Inventor 2021.2.  If I have installed a later version, I'm not allowed to disclose it, but I'm not clear what that would have to do with this issue.

Sam B
LinkedIn

Message 12 of 23
bradeneuropeArthur

Strange Since I have had the same issue a few weeks ago. With the solution I have provided it was solved.

Are you sure that you have done that correctly. Only to be sure. Could you make a screenshot of your settings?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 13 of 23

Well it was checked before i did anything, so not sure if your solution was to have it checked or unchecked.

Message 14 of 23
QuintenQuin

I don't have the same problem with a .idw file. If my system is creating corupted files what would be the best course of action? Since i already reinstalled inventor professional 2021 i dont really know what to do to fix this. Could it be Because of a virus scanner? 

For the other question. The only version of inventor i have ever installed was inventor professional 2021.

Message 15 of 23

I have tested and i could open the file

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 16 of 23

What I Have seen is that there is a message that some kind of strange Text formats are used and I needed to install download them

I did not do that of course.

What I have done is opening the file in Autocad and skipped the message about the formats.

Than I have saved the drawing in Autocad (Not Save as).

I can now open the drawing normally in inventor with no issue.

If needed I can send you the file back!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 17 of 23

This is the message in Autocad:

bradeneuropeArthur_0-1610639939606.png

Solution:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD-NLS-error-when-opening-DXF-files-with-text-that-was-created-in-another-language.html#:~:text=The%20NLS%20files%20required%20to,not%20installed%20in%20your%20system.&text=To%20install%20the%20missing%20NLS,in%20the%20Windows%20Control%20Panel.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...  

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 18 of 23
SBix26

@QuintenQuin  I tried one more thing on my system, which is to create a .dwg file in 2021 from scratch.  I always use .idw format for drawings, so I tried a new drawing using .dwg, and it opens as expected afterwards.

@bradeneuropeArthur My settings are exactly as you illustrate.  When I open the OP's dwg file, I see the same error he does; when I open one that I created, or one created by someone else, I don't.

I think this is one for @johnsonshiue  to figure out.

Sam B
LinkedIn

Message 19 of 23
bradeneuropeArthur

@QuintenQuin  Did this solve the issue for you. For me it was at least with your drawing here!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 20 of 23
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe Arthur and Scott are right. This should be related to the Windows Locale setting. Please make sure the box is unchecked. Another possibility is that somehow the AutoCAD template files in the following folder are corrupted also. You may need to uninstall Inventor and reinstall it.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2021\Compatibility\Support

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report