Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create actual threads

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
chakrapani_pandey
301 Views, 6 Replies

Can't create actual threads

Hi,

I was a SolidWorks user, but my company switched for Autodesk Inventor, and I had to design a bar with M12 threads which I tried to make but the thread into Inventor is not actual threads, and I am afraid the engagement of threads shall not be visible into production drawing.

Please help.

Thanks

Chakrapani

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

This is how it looks

chakrapani_pandey_0-1717059996864.png

Message 3 of 7

There is no thread modeller in Inventor. There are various 3rd party addins I think on the Inventor store or you can try doing one with the helix tool or something. 

Fusion can do modelled threads if you really need to them. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 4 of 7

Physical threads are modeled for 3D printing.

What is the purpose of modeling complex geometry for production drawing?

This costs more memory, loads the computer, and in addition - it is inconsistent with standards - in technical drawings, simple symbols and descriptions should be used, not zigzags.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 7

@kacper.suchomski add to  that, unless the user is well versed in creating actual threads, chances are they'll be incorrect. Threads are not as simple as creating a triangular profile and sweeping on a helix. Sure, it might look nice and fancy, but it's in no way correct.

Just saying.

The bitmap Inventor uses incorporates all the information of the threads based on industry standards.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 6 of 7

Hi! There is a free app called ThreadModeler (https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=2540506896683021779&appLang=en&os=Win64). It helps create physical threads easily (for 2021 and later, you may need to change some settings in the add-in xml file).

Another option is to use Fusion 360 which has the physical thread feature.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7
mikejones
in reply to: johnsonshiue

This functionality really should be included as an option in Inventor now. when applying thread or creating threaded holes. Let the user decide what they want, a lot of the time it will be for 3d printing. Sending to Fusion really isn't the way forwards. May as well tell people to send it to Solidworks and see what response you get.

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report