Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer rename items in browser

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
evankok
1087 Views, 15 Replies

Can no longer rename items in browser

I have run into an issue in renaming items in the browser.

In a project, I could do a slow double click on an item in the browser and rename it. At some point, I can no longer do this, it stops. I can no longer rename sketches, parts, work planes or solids in the normal manner.

Parts and solids though, can be renamed but by only right clicking on the item in the browser and selecting properties. Sketch’s and work planes can no longer be renamed.

Anyone else experience this issue? Have I done something inadvertently that prevents me from renaming the items in the normal manner?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: evankok

Attach a simple file here that exhibits this behavior.

(The first thing I am going to check is iProperties to see if you have installed the latest Updates for your version of Inventor.)

Does select and then F2 allow you to rename (this is a Windows OS function)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 16
evankok
in reply to: JDMather

Here is the file.

Message 4 of 16
evankok

Just an update. I started editing the file this morning and renaming would not work in the normal manner, hence my post. File was saved and closed several times and inventor and PC restarted thinking something was hung up in the background.

After posting the file to the forum, I reopened the file and I am now able to rename correctly. What?

I don't know what happened, but it appears to be working correctly.

Message 5 of 16
JDMather

@evankok wrote:

I don't know what happened, but it appears to be working correctly.

Are you using a 3DConnexion Device?

If so, I recommend that you Calibrate it every morning.

I have seen drift interfere with other operations.

3DConnexion.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 16
evankok

Nothing of the sort. Just straight sketching and part creation.

That is why I was wondering if I invoked something by mistake with a hot key or something else.

Message 7 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! Did you happen to work on a sheet metal part before opening this part? I think we do have a sheet metal part specific issue (INVGEN-34374). It has been fixed in the coming 2020.3 update.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 16
evankok
in reply to: johnsonshiue

No, I was not in sheet metal.

Kenn

Message 9 of 16
bdean

Did we ever find the answer to this?  I have one user (out of 100) that continues to have this issue and want to be able to fix it for him.

Message 10 of 16
evankok
in reply to: bdean

I was never able to identify what caused the issue. One day it did not work and then it did.

Message 11 of 16
aliboyx

I have had this issue too, when you are remaning features, if you go too quick something weired happens and there is no longer the doube click to rename ability. I have to close the part and reopen it before everything is ok

Message 12 of 16
johnsonshiue
in reply to: aliboyx

Hi! The behavior does not sound right. If you know how to reproduce it, please let me know. In the meantime, you may want to set an environment variable to force Inventor load all dlls.

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings ->Environment Variables -> create "DYNAMIC_LOAD_APPLETS" and set it to 0. Restart Inventor. Does it work better now?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 16
ToddB213
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue 

Should this new variable be created under the "User" or "System" section?

ToddB213_0-1682597028846.png

Message 14 of 16
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ToddB213

Hi! It should not matter, as long as the system variable is defined.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 16
Jack_DuttonTM2JK

Did this fix work for anyone? I have a user who just ran into this problem as well. He said it mainly cropped up when he was placing a Wire and Harness. Which I could share the file, but can't 😞

Message 16 of 16

Hi! This could be display settings related. Try the followings and see if they help.

- Go to Windows Display settings and select the recommended resolution and scale. 

- Right-click on Inventor desktop icon -> Properties -> Compatibility -> click "Change High DPI Settings" -> check both boxes.

- Go to Windows Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables -> create the followings and set them to 1.

1. "QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR"
  2. "QT_SCALE_FACTOR"

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report