Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calcomp Ploter can use for inventer 8 ?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
495 Views, 9 Replies

Calcomp Ploter can use for inventer 8 ?

I have been using my trusty Calcomp Drawing Master 800 (53436) since AutoCAD 14.
I now made the move to Inventor 8 and from what I see it only uses windows based printers.
When first set up 2004 AutoCAD for the Calcomp I just used the Default AutoCAD plotters and works like a charm.
Is there any drivers needed for Inventor or am I stuck with my 8.5x11laserjet?
I hope there is a better way than "Save As" a drawing in inventor to a .dwg file then plotting with AutoCAD 2004
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The Calcomp is unusable.... time for a new one... 🙂 good news? they are much less costly today! AutoCAD supports such plotters only through legacy AutoCAD drivers. Dennis JTEK wrote: >I have been using my trusty Calcomp Drawing Master 800 (53436) since AutoCAD 14. >I now made the move to Inventor 8 and from what I see it only uses windows based printers. >When first set up 2004 AutoCAD for the Calcomp I just used the Default AutoCAD plotters and works like a charm. >Is there any drivers needed for Inventor or am I stuck with my 8.5x11laserjet? >I hope there is a better way than "Save As" a drawing in inventor to a .dwg file then plotting with AutoCAD 2004 > > -- Dennis Jeffrey Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

The Calcomp (and most plotters from that 'era') could emulate something based on HPGL. Try setting up the plotter to accept HPGL or HPGL/2 and see if you can find a windows driver for a phantom HP Draftmaster II or the like. Good luck... "JTEK" wrote in message news:5586539.1081262901354.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have been using my trusty Calcomp Drawing Master 800 (53436) since AutoCAD 14. > I now made the move to Inventor 8 and from what I see it only uses windows based printers. > When first set up 2004 AutoCAD for the Calcomp I just used the Default AutoCAD plotters and works like a charm. > Is there any drivers needed for Inventor or am I stuck with my 8.5x11laserjet? > I hope there is a better way than "Save As" a drawing in inventor to a .dwg file then plotting with AutoCAD 2004
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I agree... worth a try anyway, but I don't think it will work on the Draftmasters.... There was a communication problem if I remember... new cabling, etc. I've done that on other Calcomps in the past, and it sometimes works in some fashion... it's a band-aid at best. Gary Cook wrote: >The Calcomp (and most plotters from that 'era') could emulate something >based on HPGL. Try setting up the plotter to accept HPGL or HPGL/2 and see >if you can find a windows driver for a phantom HP Draftmaster II or the >like. > >Good luck... > >"JTEK" wrote in message >news:5586539.1081262901354.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > >>I have been using my trusty Calcomp Drawing Master 800 (53436) since >> >> >AutoCAD 14. > > >>I now made the move to Inventor 8 and from what I see it only uses windows >> >> >based printers. > > >>When first set up 2004 AutoCAD for the Calcomp I just used the Default >> >> >AutoCAD plotters and works like a charm. > > >>Is there any drivers needed for Inventor or am I stuck with my >> >> >8.5x11laserjet? > > >>I hope there is a better way than "Save As" a drawing in inventor to a >> >> >.dwg file then plotting with AutoCAD 2004 > > > > -- Dennis Jeffrey Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

The Calcom uses the old fashion thermal technology, slow but super reliable 🙂
The Calcomp works flawlessly even with AutoCAD 2004.
I can use the plot settings and manipulate ( window size, scale, paper size, Etc.) no problem.
Being new to inventor 8, besides the printers that show up as a default windows system printers I.e. same as what is shown in the printers properties in Windows. Is there any other way to use besides “Save As .DWG” from Inventor then plot via AutoCAD 2004 the normal way.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I do believe i have seen this on the board before... and the answer was "Time to Buy a new Plotter" But Dont Quote me on that. =) "JTEK" wrote in message news:7819411.1083083070006.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > The Calcom uses the old fashion thermal technology, slow but super reliable :) > The Calcomp works flawlessly even with AutoCAD 2004. > I can use the plot settings and manipulate ( window size, scale, paper size, Etc.) no problem. > Being new to inventor 8, besides the printers that show up as a default windows system printers I.e. same as what is shown in the printers properties in Windows. Is there any other way to use besides "Save As .DWG" from Inventor then plot via AutoCAD 2004 the normal way.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

You can buy windows system drivers that will plot to a Calcomp plotter. I can not attest to how good these drivers are. Walter "Derp" wrote in message news:408e9722$1_3@newsprd01... > I do believe i have seen this on the board before... and the answer was > "Time to Buy a new Plotter" But Dont Quote me on that. =) > > > "JTEK" wrote in message > news:7819411.1083083070006.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > The Calcom uses the old fashion thermal technology, slow but super > reliable :) > > The Calcomp works flawlessly even with AutoCAD 2004. > > I can use the plot settings and manipulate ( window size, scale, paper > size, Etc.) no problem. > > Being new to inventor 8, besides the printers that show up as a default > windows system printers I.e. same as what is shown in the printers > properties in Windows. Is there any other way to use besides "Save As .DWG" > from Inventor then plot via AutoCAD 2004 the normal way. > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

The Calcomp is unusable.... time for a new one Why I stopped upgrading .....very little consideration for the customer
Message 9 of 10
SBix26

Welcome to the Inventor forum.

An important habit to develop for forum participation: as you consider responding to a previous post, check the date to see whether a response now makes sense.  In this case, the last post was more than eleven years ago, and much has changed in that time.

But, responding to what you posted-- are you referring to Autodesk or to CalComp when you write "very little consideration for the customer"?

FWIW, I believe that Inventor has always used Windows printers rather than its own plotting system as AutoCAD did (does?)...  one benefit of its later development solely in the Windows environment.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

You are absolutly correct, I was doing a search to see if anything had turned up as regards using my Huston Instrument Capatable plotter, and reading that post broght to the surface all of my frustrations with Microsoft, Autocad, and Inventor.  I stopped upgrade at V14 and would still like to use my plotter now an again.   Carry on

@sbixler wrote:

Welcome to the Inventor forum.

An important habit to develop for forum participation: as you consider responding to a previous post, check the date to see whether a response now makes sense.  In this case, the last post was more than eleven years ago, and much has changed in that time.

But, responding to what you posted-- are you referring to Autodesk or to CalComp when you write "very little consideration for the customer"?

FWIW, I believe that Inventor has always used Windows printers rather than its own plotting system as AutoCAD did (does?)...  one benefit of its later development solely in the Windows environment.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report