Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser width automatically reset after restart of Inventor

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
RemcoBenne
1313 Views, 23 Replies

Browser width automatically reset after restart of Inventor

By default the browser of Inventor is too narrow for the lengthy file/part names we use. To get a clear view on the nodes in the browser I extend it to roughly match the average node name. Unfortunately this settings isn't saved, after a restart of Inventor the browser is reset to the default (i.e. minimized) state.

Though dragging the browser to my desired width is doable, it is still annoying to have to do this every day (or as with my Inventor, which crashes a few times a day, a few times per day).

Is there a way to save this setting? Perhaps something to change in the registry if not available in a regular option menu?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: RemcoBenne

@RemcoBenne

What version of Inventor are you using?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 24
RemcoBenne
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

That's wasn't really bright, not mentioning this...
I am running Inventor Pro 2018.2.3; build 227; 64-bit edition.
Message 4 of 24
Mark.Lancaster

@RemcoBenne

I think Autodesk is working on fixing some things (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/browser-tree-inventor-2018-minimum-collapsible-width-i...) regarding the browser width.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 24
RemcoBenne
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Dear Mark,
I did read that post but it didn't really match my problem. Though I must agree it does mention they're working on the browser.
Let's just hope this (my) problem is also on their radar.
Message 6 of 24
Cadmanto

If this is not exactly your problem, can you post some pics showing what your issue is?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 24
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

That post is about the minimum width..

The "fix" allows it to be resized smaller than it currently can as they forced a min width variable previously (currently)..

Remco wants to be able to widen the browser and have its state maintained between sessions so that they don't have to constantly be resizing/widening it..

That post has nothing to do with what Remco wants..

I am not aware of any registry settings to address this.. There are some as far as where the dialog is placed but I don't see one that controls its width.. But I haven't tried messing with some of the settings as I'm not sure which one is which as they do not use logical naming in the registry but instead some what seems like a random ID number..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 24
-niels-
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

I am not aware of any registry settings to address this.. There are some as far as where the dialog is placed but I don't see one that controls its width..

I found some mention of Horizontal and Vertical size in "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion21.0\DockingAreasRibbon\BrowserBar"

But, like you, i'm kinda loathe to edit those without knowing what they do.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 24
SBix26

@RemcoBenne The problem is somehow system dependent, though.  I have not seen this problem at all with my 2018 installations.  I have stretched my browser for exactly the reason you mentioned, and it has stayed that way ever since.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.2.3
Windows 7 SP1

Message 10 of 24
mcgyvr
in reply to: -niels-

@-niels- wrote:

@mcgyvr wrote:

I am not aware of any registry settings to address this.. There are some as far as where the dialog is placed but I don't see one that controls its width..

I found some mention of Horizontal and Vertical size in "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion21.0\DockingAreasRibbon\BrowserBar"

But, like you, i'm kinda loathe to edit those without knowing what they do.

The BrowserBar registry node is no longer used in 2018 too..

Its these and the model browser seems to only have a "userclosed" variable..

regbrowser.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 11 of 24
mcgyvr
in reply to: SBix26

@SBix26 wrote:

@RemcoBenne The problem is somehow system dependent, though.  I have not seen this problem at all with my 2018 installations.  I have stretched my browser for exactly the reason you mentioned, and it has stayed that way ever since.

Sam B

Windows 7 SP1

@SBix26 Now restart Inventor.. It does not maintain that set width then from what I've seen..

Message 12 of 24
-niels-

@mcgyvr wrote:

The BrowserBar registry node is no longer used in 2018 too..

Argh, you're right... only now noticed i was looking at Registryversion21.0...  my bad.Smiley Embarassed

Those new registry entries make even less sense, definitely leaving those alone.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 13 of 24
SBix26

Hmm... seems to be the case.  But I'm also absolutely certain that I didn't readjust the browser width every day at my former workplace, and I had extended names turned on and the browser stretched to accommodate (nice to have had lots of screen real estate on that 30" monitor).

Sam B

Windows 7 SP1

Message 14 of 24
D.Lam
in reply to: SBix26

I use Inventor with the Browser Bar undocked, or 'floating'

The program seems to remember exactly where and how large to place it.

Maybe this is worth a try for you also?

Just grab it by the top bit and pull it out, set the size where you like it and see what happens on restart...

Message 15 of 24
mcgyvr
in reply to: D.Lam

I got it.. (I think.. I haven't tried it for a while but it works on startup to allow it to be set to a fixed width)

and thanks to @D.Lam for the "floating vs docked" comment as that helped me notice it only works when its floating.. 

Go to  

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion22.0\DockingAreasRibbon\DockableWindows

Expand each "ID" there until you find one that includes subs of "measure, model and representation" then click on model and look for the "PaneGUID" then go down till you see the "pane" folder and expand that and find the matching GUID..

Then change "Floating" to "1" and then set "Right" to the width in pixels you want your model browser to be from the right hand side of the screen..

Note: that is applicable for a model browser in the left hand side of your screen.. adjust either left or right or top or bottom as needed based on where you have your model browser located..

Message 16 of 24
RemcoBenne

Hello mcgyvr & D. Lam,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have tampered with the registry settings and found them to be somewhat useful. When tweaking the settings all is well as long as the browser is set to Floating. When Floating is turned off Inventor doesn't respond to the values in the registry and automatically reverts to the default width (#f2 / 242).

Though in my opinion a silly workaround I have now got the registry values set set to Floating = 1 and Left = 0 and Right to the desired value. Basically it is where I want it at the size I want it but undocked.

I do believe my software engineer colleagues would call this a undocumented feature (a.k.a. bug)! Smiley Frustrated Hope they will fix it.

Could it be I'm the only one having this problem? If not I would expect to find/read more about it on the web.

For now I guess I'll keep the browser floating.

Thanks again!

Message 17 of 24
mcgyvr

@RemcoBenne wrote:

Could it be I'm the only one having this problem? If not I would expect to find/read more about it on the web.

For now I guess I'll keep the browser floating.

Thanks again!

Yes it could be.. 

In general the default width they have chosen should be sufficient for most..

I would expect that most people do not have 20+ digit part numbers at their company..

Not sure what you have but it must be longer than that.. 

Heck I think my ERP system has a max limit of around 24 digits for the part number field.. 

And yes it really shouldn't matter that its floating or not.. 

Message 18 of 24
mcgyvr

Only minor issue I noticed with floating is that you can cover up this and the tabs at the bottom..

But thats easy to fix by adjusting the bottom registry setting to ensure its pushed above them..

floating.PNG

Message 19 of 24
JarFu

Sorry about the inconvenience. We confirmed <Browser width automatically reset after restart of Inventor> is a regression which was introduced by 2018 R2 Update3 (No problem in 2018 R2). Team is working on the fixing, we will let you know once there is any update. Currently please keep browser float as work around. Thanks your reporting and patience! 

Jar Fu
SW Engineer
Inventor QA
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 20 of 24
JarFu

Hello,

The browser width reset fix has been contained by 2018.3. Just fyi.

Jar Fu
SW Engineer
Inventor QA
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report