Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Broken' model caused by large origin offset

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
arron.craig
454 Views, 5 Replies

'Broken' model caused by large origin offset

I'm using a section of a large point cloud file to model a section of a clients plant. The origin in the supplied point cloud is over 800km from my model origin but cannot be changed because the client needs to essentialy 'ground and root' the delivered model into their master model. This large offset causes extreme issues in how Inventor displays, calculates and exports the model as shown in the below images. 

Inventor_9QGw0vA3j3.png

The above 'glitch' is not only a display problem, the exported .dwf inherits these issues. 

The link in this help page no longer exists but I believe it explains the reason for this happeneing (bounding box size and 32bit integer limits)

I am looking for a workaround that will allow me to export my Inventor model to Navisworks while maintaining this huge origin offset.

Cloud compare handles this issue by assigining a 'global shift' so the origin is only moved while working on the scan. 

CloudCompare_JAMwOILiOi.png

I can do this manualy when attaching the point cloud file to my .ipt but this will mean the exported file will not match the survey points.

Inventor_GxlmijSrcK.png

As expected, the issue is not present when the sub assembly is viewed or exported on it's own since it has a sensible origin.

Capture.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
arron.craig
in reply to: arron.craig

Picture of the .dwf file viewed in Navisworks Manage 2020. 

The graphical issue doesn't carry over presumably because Navisworks manages large floating point values better, but Inventor looses all precision during export and so the accuracy of the exported model is +/- 50mm 

Roamer_TuC3OCsL3Q.png

Message 3 of 6
imajar

What is the deliverable?

If it is a navisworks file, then maybe you could model everything in a convenient place in Inventor, then export to Navisworks, then shift it to the correct position in Navisworks (using "units and tranform. . ."), then save as .nwd.

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi Arron,

Inventor is not designed to tackle a site as big as 800km. That is too far. The geometry valid model range is +-100m in each direction. But, you can build up assembly 1 to 10km. 800km is way too big. As you can see the graphics deteriorates at such scale. You may run into stability issues.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
arron.craig
in reply to: imajar

Yes deliverable is a .nwd file. I'm a Navisworks noob and didn't know you could 'shift and transform' so I will give this a go. 

Message 6 of 6
arron.craig
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yes I did know about the bounding box limit. Was just looking for a workaround that would allow me to work with a normal bounding box size but export the file with the survey origin.

Provided the deliverable is always going to be .nwd then the origin can be shifted in Navisworks as suggested by ajarrett.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report