Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bounding Box

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1450 Views, 6 Replies

Bounding Box

I read in a post by Jason Ruge \(Autodesk\), a mention of a "Bounding Box". This could be useful if it does what I hope it does. I would like to have a bounding box that stretches to the extremeties of the part and be able to extract that data to put into a material cut list with length, width, and thickness.
Is this possible?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, but you don't need a bounding box to do it. Just create 3 user params & mark them for export. "davemc" wrote in message news:18568599.1091654616909.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I read in a post by Jason Ruge \(Autodesk\), a mention of a "Bounding Box". This could be useful if it does what I hope it does. I would like to have a bounding box that stretches to the extremeties of the part and be able to extract that data to put into a material cut list with length, width, and thickness. > Is this possible?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Dave, "Bounding Box" is a term that we use internally. What it is is if you zoom-all, we use the bounding box to determine how far out the "camera" should go in order to see the whole model. I think it is used for many other (internal) calculations as well It may not be as "tight" around the geometry as you would likeit to be. If you desire to get stock sizes for the machinist, you can create a sketch and project the extremities of the part, and constrain the sketch rectangle to be coincident (as tight as possible) with the 2 dimensions of the part in that view. Then apply a driven, aligned dimensions to get the lengths. I hope this helped. Best Regards, -- Hugh Henderson (Inventor Workflow QA) "Dave Hoder" wrote in message news:41115d43$1_2@newsprd01... > Yes, but you don't need a bounding box to do it. Just create 3 user params > & mark them for export. > "davemc" wrote in message > news:18568599.1091654616909.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > I read in a post by Jason Ruge \(Autodesk\), a mention of a "Bounding > Box". This could be useful if it does what I hope it does. I would like to > have a bounding box that stretches to the extremeties of the part and be > able to extract that data to put into a material cut list with length, > width, and thickness. > > Is this possible? > >
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Dave, You can do a search for the keyword "DrawRangeBox" in the API programming help. That will give you an idea on how to extract the bounding box information. Then read the API section on user properties and write some code to save the bounding box data as user properties. Then include the user properties in the parts list. Bob
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Bob,

I know this post is very old but I'm looking to do exactly that. Instead of drawing sketches, adding parameters and export those I would like Inventor to feed me the information it can gather from the model.

As I know nothing of programming I copied the code found in the search but it is giving me an error regarding Sub Main (). As far as writing codes to save this information as user properties I will have to find help for that. For now my question would be how can I fix the code to eliminate the error?

Message 6 of 7
Mark.Lancaster

Hello @Anonymous this is Bob from the past...  Smiley Very Happy  @Anonymous, Bob's account is no longer active and Bob will never response to you..  So don't wait around for an answer..  Smiley Wink

What code are you even referring to..  Instead of responding to a 13 year old posting, create a new one and shows us the code you copied..  If you copied something that is old/outdated it may no longer work.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks for the advice Mark.

I posted on a few "Bounding/Range Box" subjects today, some much more recent. I am never waiting on a precise person to answer, I know others will eventually read it, exactly as you did Smiley Wink

The VBA sample code Bob was talking about last decade is still available in the API help when searching for drawrangebox. But simply copy-pasting it does not work. I know nothing about programming language so I can say what's wrong. Anyhow I was just trying out a few things in order to automate a few steps done manually and will forget about this post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report