Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean Operation failed when joining...... during Simplify command - Inventor 2022.5.3

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
karthur1
530 Views, 8 Replies

Boolean Operation failed when joining...... during Simplify command - Inventor 2022.5.3

I am trying to do a Simplify command on an assembly. It gives me this error and will not continue. The part that its failing on is an imported .STP file.  The imported bodies have been "Repaired" when they were imported (no errors found).  I have also did the Ctrl+F7 on the imported file and this also shows no errors.

Here are the settings I am using for the Simplify command. I thought I would remove as few features as possible just to get the command to work, then start adding things to remove.

Any help or insight appreciated. (The Inv 2022 iam and ipt files are attached.)

Kirk

karthur1_0-1725563383424.png

karthur1_0-1725562590267.png

karthur1_1-1725561800219.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: karthur1

Have you tried unchecking "Make independent bodies..." to see if that works?
Message 3 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

Yes.  Tried removing that check there too.  I also tried these three output styles.

Nothing has worked so far.

karthur1_0-1725563649491.png

Message 4 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

I did try my workflow in Inv 2025 just for kicks.  It failed here too, but in 2025, it gives me a chance to accept the results (which it does not do in 2022).  

karthur1_1-1725563910303.png

The results show which part is giving it trouble.

karthur1_2-1725564010673.png

I have double checked the part for errors, but I can't find anything.

The resulting file

Message 5 of 9
karthur1

It seems like the interface between "Solid1 " and "Solid2" was giving it a fit.  I edit the face on "Solid2" and moved it away from "Solid1".  The "Simplify" works now.. 

WOOO!

karthur1_0-1725564506870.png

Message 6 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi Kirk,

I took a look at this case on and off. This is a near-tangent Boolean failure between the first solid body and the second solid body. Based on the internal debug tool, the first solid body is slightly off to -Y axis and -X axis and its orientation is slight misaligned along Z-axis. However, the minor deviation should not matter. It should work.

Fortunately, there is a simple workaround. Just thicken the bottom faces of the first solid body tiny bit. Then the Boolean will work. Please take a look at the attached file.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for looking at this.  When I ran the "Repair Geometry" on the solid2, it did not find any errors.   I tried the Ctrl+F7 on this, but it did not find any errors. Is it because the error is too small or some bug?

Is the internal tool that you used to find the near-tangent Boolean failures something I can access? 

Thanks

Kirk

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi Kirk,

There isn't anything wrong with the bodies. The failure is a geometry-specific bug. It should work. They are just slightly off. Unfortunately, the internal tool is for our debugging purpose. It is not available to the users.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Kirk,

There isn't anything wrong with the bodies. The failure is a geometry-specific bug.

A bug that causes the Simplify command to fail.  Which can be frustrating when the model is part of a larger assembly that takes 30 min to run the simplify.  After the geometry is fixed, the simplify has to be re-ran.

Thanks,

Kirk 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report