Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bevel Gear Circular Pattern Issue

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
664 Views, 3 Replies

Bevel Gear Circular Pattern Issue

Hello,

I'm trying to make a bevel gear and ran into an issue with the circular patern. 

First, I'm trying to make bevel gears with Involute tooth profile so I'm not using Design > Bevel Gear in assembly.

I am however using the the Design > Spur Gear feature to obtain the involute tooth profile. (Export tooth shape)Involute.jpg

Next, I create the the Bevel gear blank

Annotation 2020-08-24 195252.jpg

I then project the involute tooth profile onto the blank surface using 3D sketch.

Annotation 2020-08-24 195554.jpg

Then, I try to create a loft cut but can't since I can't select the 3D sketch. I am able to create a surface using a loft which I then use to "Split" the body. 

Annotation 2020-08-24 200431.jpg

I then use the edges created using the "Split" feature to create a loft cut. (which is strange since I couldn't use before) I finally get one tooth but can't use the curcular pattern because theres an error. Annotation 2020-08-24 201001.jpg Annotation 2020-08-24 201238.jpg

I've made many bevel gears that I 3D print and don't know why it isn't working.

Annotation 2020-08-24 201626.jpgAnnotation 2020-08-24 201903.jpg

\

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! I don't believe the gear is cut by Loft surface. Do you have the path and the profile for cutting the teeth? If yes, I suspect you will need to use Solid Sweep to create the geometry like the cutting tool.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for your suggestion but I was able to solve the problem. 

The problem was the projected 3D sketch was on a conical surface and the Loft feature didn't like it and refursed to use the sketch to create the feature. 

I solved the problem by creating a plane tangent to the conical surface through a point and projecting the involute tooth profile on the plane directly. Then I performed the Loft cut and used the circular patern and complete the 3D model.

Annotation 2020-08-25 202311.jpg

haha I felt kind of demoralized but I'm glad I didn't quit. 

Here is the difference between the the modeled involute bevel gear and a generated bevel gear using the Design tab.

1.pngAnnotation 2020-08-25 202650.png

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The rails are not considered clean so the sweep dead stops every region rotation, rip me, it turned into all looking pretty precise up tocheck now, maybe I want to try a few other line device than the arc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report