Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic questions about circular feature pattern

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
theycallmevirgo
274 Views, 10 Replies

Basic questions about circular feature pattern

The attached assembly contains part "neoprene". Feature "Stitch" in "Neoprene" is constructed from a sketch on a plane tangent to the revolved Sketch1. Pattern "Stitches" is a circular pattern along the projected construction line on the offset plane around the constructed axis. Then I mirrored it across the perpendicular plane. 

My initial goal was to offset the first "stitch "by a given distance from the "start" of the revolved body and space evenly. I decided on this technique after watching some YT videos. Is it "correct"?

Is there any way to input arc length distance into circular pattern, or will I have to do something clever with Pi/trig/inverse trig?

Thanks so much 

Joe

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cidhelp
in reply to: theycallmevirgo

Hello @theycallmevirgo ,

do you want to use the arc-length (on base cylinder) as distance for the holes?

I would sketch an arc for the holepattern and create an arc-length dimension. After creating the first hole, you can pattern (rectangular pattern!) along the arc-path.

19-08-2024_08-27-36.gif

Message 3 of 11
SBix26

Several things that would make this simpler for you:

• Make the X-axis the center of the first Revolution feature so you can use it for subsequent features (not easily corrected in this file due to adaptivity)
  • Instead of creating the Stitch feature as a circular Extrude/Cut, use the Hole feature
  • Holes can be located by a point (location) and axis (direction), so no need to create lots of workplanes
  • Feature patterns have a Midplane button to make the pattern symmetric

I've attached a modified file (2025 format) for you to look at.  Here's the Circular Pattern feature I used showing the Midplane control:

SBix26_0-1724078679887.png

SBix26_1-1724079023727.png

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025.1 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 4 of 11
theycallmevirgo
in reply to: cidhelp

"do you want to use the arc-length (on base cylinder)

Yes, that's it exactly. I'll try your approach shortly.

Message 5 of 11
theycallmevirgo
in reply to: SBix26

Why do you say using hole reduces the number of workplanes? I'm still using the one offset plane to define the pattern the way I did it originally.

Message 6 of 11
SBix26

Because Hole location and direction can be defined by point and axis, so a sketch is not required.  I used your Sketch2 to define the workpoint and workaxis for the Hole feature, so no further workplanes or sketches required.

Sam B

Message 7 of 11
SBix26

Here's another pattern method which is probably even better for your purposes.  I constrained an arc centered on the projected edge to be the direction for a rectangular pattern, and dimensioned the start point from the edge.  In the pattern, I specified the number of instances and that they be distributed evenly along the curve.  No calculations or arc length dimensions required.

SBix26_0-1724099061982.png

SBix26_1-1724099081556.png

Sam B

Message 8 of 11
theycallmevirgo

Sorry, but I'm still unclear. Both your technique and my technique use a plane offset from the face created by the revolution, on which we make a sketch from the projected cut surface. What additional planes does my technique use?

Message 9 of 11
theycallmevirgo

Also - in SBv2 is d24 a linear distance, or an arc length? If a linear distance, do you know how to make it an arc length?

ETA NVM I figured that part out

Thanks again 

Joe

Message 10 of 11
theycallmevirgo

Also, why is the sketch feature line that defines the hole not a construction line? Why does the part break when I make it a construction line? 

Thanks again 

Joe

Message 11 of 11
theycallmevirgo

The real problem is, I don't really want to input number of instances for pattern command. I want to do it by arc length spacing and total distance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report