Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Question

41 REPLIES 41
Message 1 of 42
Anonymous
1178 Views, 41 Replies

Assembly Question

Hey guys. I am working on a project where I have to invent a new product with specific constraints, which you will see in the first doc., and I decided to do a candy dispenser. We have to Assemble our product and then show it in Presentation mode. However, my partner and I encountered two problems.

1. We are creating a slider to allow the candy to fall down into the capsule, (you'll see it in the Assembly file), but we don't know how to get the slider through the slot in the main connector. We don't want to Free Rotate it because we can't get it to be exact. How do we get it to be exact?

2. In Presentation mode, how do we show the tube spin to lock in place with the main connector (like a bottle cap)?

I will later on ask if anybody might be able to check my drawing files to make sure I properly baseline dimensioned. I really want to do good on this prject. You guys are my lifesavers. #The AutodeskCommunityLifeSavers

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks a million

41 REPLIES 41
Message 21 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Fear not. You've come to the right place.

I'm not really sure what you mean by your question of "why is there a hole then" BUT I can explain what I was trying to say quite easily.

Threads have to engage, that is, overlap. Therefore your male thread Major Diameter cannot match your female thread Minor Diameter. Then they don't work. Using the Hole feature in Inventor and setting it to be threaded will let Inventor properly dimension the ID of internal threads. Why doesn't inventor do this when you select thread and an internal thread surface? I don't know. But if you know how it works, you know that using the hole command will give you the proper ID for internal threads.

Message 22 of 42
Neil_Cross

I'm not sure if everyone here is over thinking this... am I right in thinking all you want to do is put that slider into the groove in the main connector?

With regards to having it turn, I'll tackle that in a bit, but for the slider, isn't it just a case of doing this...

Message 23 of 42
Neil_Cross

And this is how (I think) you would want to turn the tube into the main connector like a bottle top?

Finally, if you do want to model physical grooved threads, check this out... it's a tutorial on how to have them automatically modelled and then use a simple constraint to mimic real world screw movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxiN_M5zwO4

Message 24 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: Neil_Cross

That's exactly what I was looking for. You are a lifesaver.
Message 25 of 42
Anonymous

This video was amazing. Thank you so much. However, I didn't hear in the
video if that can be seen in presentation mode...? But either way, this is
still amazing.
Message 26 of 42
Neil_Cross

What can be seen in presentation mode? Not sure which bit you're referring to, but pretty much everything is visible in presentation mode.  Just give it a go and see how you do with it, here's a full tutorial for presentation mode if you need it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRWESqP9eLs

Message 27 of 42
JDMather

Just to be clear -....

The problem that was cited is that an Extruded-cut hole of the incorrect size was created and then a Thread feature added to incorrect hole size.  This is classic beginner mistake that if made in the real world would take the designer week, months or years to gain back credibility from the guys out on the shop floor.

Using the Hole feature command with the Theaded option - Inventor will use the correct tap drill size.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 28 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I like your video Neil. You are very well spoken. Now I'll hear you in my head when I read your posts lol

Not that this really matters, but for what it's worth, I'm not really a fan of the CoolOrange Thread Modeler. It has it's merit but I don't really care for the steps taken to create the thread nor the fact that it can't be changed after it is made (to the extent of my knowledge).

I wasn't aware you could add that rotational change and group it in the ipn. So that's good to know. And for your referencing engineeringkid, the degrees of rotation should equal the 360 deg * the travel distance divided by the pitch. So in your case, 360deg*1"/(1"/4.5ul) = 360deg * 4.5 ul = 1620deg

Sorry if this post got a little clouded with other topics. JD was just pointing out and I concur that the minor diameter of the part with female threads is wrong because the hole was cut then the thread skin was applied. Using the Hole command will give you an accurate ID as shown in the screencast I posted earlier in this thread. If you wanted to model real threads, you could also always use the iFeature I just finished 😄 I've still got to work on tolerancing for it but it would definitely fit the bill. And you won't have to redo it if you change the diameter of the hole ;D

Thread iFeature Link

Message 29 of 42
Anonymous

Ahhh, thank you for the clarification
Message 30 of 42
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I like your video Neil. ...., I'm not really a fan of the CoolOrange Thread Modeler.....  

I didn't watch the entire video - did Neil suggest the CoolOrange Thread Modeler in that video?

Neil - is the CoolOrange Thread Modeler your work?  Last I checked it used a British Whitworth toothform.  I haven't seen Whitworth fasteners since early in the '80s of the last century when I worked for Molins or was it Molines?, man that was a long time ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 31 of 42
Anonymous

In the second video that was the YouTube link showed the coolorange thread modeler
Message 32 of 42
Neil_Cross

No the coolOrange thread modeller is an app from the company coolOrange, they're a Germany based Autodesk partner who do a load of custom applications like that.  I've had zero input into the Thread Modeller, I just thought it was a nifty utility purely for aesthetics... I think I said in my video that I wouldn't use it on large production models as physically modelling threads is typically not required.

This is their website:

http://www.coolorange.com/en/

Message 33 of 42
Anonymous

Hi Neil. How did you put the little face on the tube? I want to show the
tube rotating in my presentation. Thank you.
Message 34 of 42
Neil_Cross

It's just a standard decal.  This is a video I did ages ago but it'll show you the process for inserting an image... the purpose of the video is to show how to hide the white background of an image but I go through the motions to get there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ue1ymfD9PM

Message 35 of 42
Anonymous

How do you get the text to wrap around the tube? I have a word doc that has the company name. I already have it on the capsule, but I want it on the tube to show the tube spinning. Here is the company title:

Message 36 of 42
Neil_Cross

Logos are usually image files, but as yours is text, this can be done as an emboss like this:

Message 37 of 42
Anonymous

Thank you so much Neil. I can now do it. You have been such a great help. This will definitely give me an A for my final.
Message 38 of 42
Anonymous

Does it have to be steel?
Message 39 of 42
Anonymous

Since it's for children 5-12, and our instructor has only really made us see the properties of certain things, Polycarbonate was my best material choice.
Message 40 of 42
Anonymous

Oops. My apologies. I just noticed that you selected the color Steel, not material. I apologize. Beginner still at work. 😃

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report