Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you frustrated with Large Assembly/Drawing Performance ?

70 REPLIES 70
Message 1 of 71
ChrisMitchell01
5360 Views, 70 Replies

Are you frustrated with Large Assembly/Drawing Performance ?

Do you find yourself waiting in frustration when working with large assemblies or their drawings in Inventor? The Inventor team would appreciate your help in identifying your problems. Please complete our large assembly performance survey.

Many Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

70 REPLIES 70
Message 61 of 71
Jef_E
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

@The_Angry_Elf

And what was that limit? I'm very curious 🙂

Please kudo if this post was helpfull
Please accept as solution if your problem was solved

Inventor 2014 SP2
Message 62 of 71
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: Jef_E

Why did I know someone would ask that?...;)

No idea actually, never sat and counted the parameters at the point when it happened.

But where I always tend to see such happen is when I'm creating or editing a Title Block in sketch mode.

It gets to a point where I can't add another parameter to constrain something unless I delete one somewhere else.

It's a "one to one" issue as well. If I need to add two parameters, I need to delete two parameters somewhere.

I do have a Title Block edit coming up here soon (it's buried on my list of "to-do's" at the moment, but if I get the chance while it's on my mind, I'll see if I can get it to max out and then give an update.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 63 of 71
danleereed
in reply to: -ianf-

Have you ever looked at the load on the single processor when waiting for a drawing to update or load a big assembly and see that only 12% or less is being used through the whole waiting period? I have always wondered why it doesn't use the full 100 percent of the processor when its taking forever to load something. I see this almost everytime. I always look to see if the processor is maxed out in task manager for windows and it never is. I don't get why its so slow when it has resources left on the single processor. Has anyone else noticed this?

Message 64 of 71
SBix26
in reply to: danleereed

Sounds to me as if you have a quad-core processor that is using hyperthreading, effectively making it 8 CPUs on one chip.  Inventor is using all of 1/8 of your processor.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017.3
Vault Basic 2017.0.1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 65 of 71
yun_chen_autodesk
in reply to: SBix26

We do leverage multiple cores for compute intensive operations. Drawing view compute is one of them.

However, certain things will still need to happen in a order and thus they can't be parallelized. Also, if one core is fast enough for the task, it is the best to be that way to save the compute power and allow that core execute at higher CPU frequency.

Here is an article on the areas that we leverage multiple cores:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

Obviously, there are many algorithms that we can further improve in this area and we are striving to do more each year. The ultimate goal is to make the operation faster and leverage more hardware whenever it makes sense.

Yun Chen
Sr. Software Architect - Autodesk Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 66 of 71
msklein
in reply to: -ianf-

I love the spec's on you're work station, but a lot of the problems is that a lot of companies still try to use office computer not CAD workstations with dedicated engineering file server and gig networks. like $3.00 10/100 network cards

Message 67 of 71
pdxmcad
in reply to: TXOMINPLUS

Just an FYI.   Your example of trying to pattern a 50x50 rectangle in a sketch is measurably faster in the Inventor 2018 release.   Once you have the 2018 release installed we would be curious to hear back if the performance for this operation is acceptable for you.

Mike Dickason
Inventor Development
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 68 of 71
WHolzwarth
in reply to: pdxmcad

That's the easier task, Mike.

My permanent problem is driven constraint management, posreps, flexible sub-assemblies, DS movements and Studio animations in not really big assemblies.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 69 of 71

Hi Walter,

Can you send us more information with constraint management, pos reps and flexible sub-assemblies. We are actively looking at improving those areas. Having the pain points and datasets will be very helpful. 

You can connect me offline as well through yun.chen AT autodesk.com. We can also set up a call to discuss this if needed.

Many thanks in advance!

Yun Chen
Sr. Software Architect - Autodesk Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 70 of 71

yun.chen schrieb:

Hi Walter,

Can you send us more information with constraint management, pos reps and flexible sub-assemblies. We are actively looking at improving those areas. Having the pain points and datasets will be very helpful. 

That's no bad news, Yun

Regarding datasets I've placed some of them in the past in this forum and beta places. @Cris-Ideas has placed several issues in this forum, too; @Anonymous should know about them. I've sent a bigger fileset of my LEGO crane to @Dennis.Ossadnik over here in Munich with several Studio animation problems. Mingwei.Gao is informed about jumping posreps of sub-assemblies.

If I'm stumbling over more in the future, I'll contact you directly by e-mail. Phone contact will not help much, my understanding of spoken English language is very bad.

Thanks

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 71 of 71
TXOMINPLUS
in reply to: pdxmcad

OK, in 2018 a 50x50 pattern maybe faster, but what about 2017?. In some days Inventor 2015 will be updated in my firm to Inventor 2017. Is 2018 available?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report