Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any alternate revision cloud add-ins?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
len.krenzler
1154 Views, 16 Replies

Any alternate revision cloud add-ins?

I'm wondering if anyone has developed a different add-in for revision clouds?  The Autodesk one in downright bad.  It's a pain to use and the curved sections are way too big in most cases.  I was looking at Inv. 2024 but it looks like they've only improved it slightly.  I was hoping for something more like AutoCAD in that regard.

I've been searching to see if there is an aftermarket one but so far I do see one.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Note to Autodesk, just copy what you have in AutoCAD, it's the one thing (perhaps the only thing) that's far better than what you have in Inventor.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
johnsonshiue
in reply to: len.krenzler

Hi Len,

Many thanks for the feedback! I am wondering if you have signed up Inventor Feedback Community (https://autode.sk/InventorBeta). The project team will be eager to hear your feedback.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 17
mrB_Young

At a previous workplace we had a 3rd party package that included a good revision cloud solution.
The package was from Symetri, an authorised Autodesk partner.
But many other partners/resellers have the own add-in packages.

Inventor user since 2009
Vault user since 2010
Message 4 of 17
len.krenzler
in reply to: mrB_Young

Thanks for the info.

Message 5 of 17
Yijiang.Cai

@len.krenzler @mrB_Young many thanks for you providing the feedback on Inventor 2024 revision cloud, and really looking forward to see the details about the enhancement requests. That would be definitely helpful for us to identify the requirement here. If possible, can you share something more about 3rd party package here? 

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 6 of 17
mrB_Young
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

What we used was an Inventor add-in tools package called Cadit from Symetri. The tools package is now called Sovelia.

https://www.symetri.co.uk/products/sovelia-inventor/ 

I don't know what it costs.  But probably not worth buying just for the revision cloud.

Inventor user since 2009
Vault user since 2010
Message 7 of 17
Yijiang.Cai

Many thanks @mrB_Young, and looks great tools for Autodesk products like Inventor, Vault etc. 

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 17
len.krenzler

Hi River, thanks for the interest in this.  The main issue I have with the Inventor cloud is that if I try to cloud something very small and specific (which happens a lot here), it's very hard to control.  My wish is that it would behave like AutoCAD, that's why my suggestion to just copy that.  The curves need to be smaller and more consistent, otherwise you end up covering things you don't want to cover.  Here's an example.  It's electrical but that's what I had handy, I think it shows what I mean.  The whole team feels the same about this here.  The rev cloud is one weak point in Inventor's otherwise great drawing package.  You've made some good steps in making it editable, just a little more work and it'll be good.  Hope that helps.

cloud.png

cloud3.png

Message 9 of 17
len.krenzler

One more note is that the revision triangle is too big for us. It would be nice if the size could be adjusted.
Message 10 of 17
len.krenzler

Here's one more example of the finer control AutoCAD gives with it's cloud tool.

cloud4.png

Message 11 of 17
mrB_Young

No chance to change revision tag size other than changing text size. Unless you want to define your own but wont be linked to the revision table.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/change-revision-tag-size/m-p/11771747/highlight/true#M... 

Inventor user since 2009
Vault user since 2010
Message 12 of 17
Yijiang.Cai

Many thanks for posting the idea here, and rev cloud arcs scale has been tracked as [INVGEN-64180]

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 17
james.bergey

Hi there, I am @len.krenzler's coworker, one thing to note as well is that in AutoCAD, you can draw PLines and then convert them to RevClouds, this is very handy, as it gives a lot more flexibility in constructing the outline for the revcloud around more complex areas, and then just convert it. 

It is also very handy that you can scale the ArcRadius of the RevCloud, as then you can make smaller arcs to fit into tighter spaces, or larger Arcs for more open spaces.

Message 14 of 17
SBix26
in reply to: james.bergey

The scaling is definitely not available in Inventor currently, but the basis for an Inventor revision cloud is a sketch, which can be edited, vertices added, deleted, or dragged to suit.  I don't think you can start from a sketch and make it into a revision cloud, but it's not hard to start out with a revision cloud, then edit to make it what you want.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 15 of 17

Yeah I don't know why they can't just copy what they do in AutoCAD. These other 2 ADd-Ins and Annotate are basically useless.

Message 16 of 17
Yijiang.Cai

As to revision cloud settings like arc scale, it has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2025. Please review the Inventor 2025 What's New article here. For more information regarding how you may leverage the feature, and please review this page. Many thanks!

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 17 of 17
len.krenzler

Thanks!  Much needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report