Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animated pin cutting through flat

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
wrennels
191 Views, 3 Replies

Animated pin cutting through flat

I'm trying to do an animation with a pin coming down and then cutting through a piece of flat.  I need to show the hole being created and the blowout on the backside caused by the pin pushing through. I used the sculpt command and got the pin to remove material as I manually move it into the flat. It errors if I remove the pin all the way from the material.  Probably b/c the sculpt command has to cut something?  But I'd would like to put this into motion and have the pin come down and cut stuff, then retract and still have the material cut out of the flat.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: wrennels

Hi! The description alone is not enough to understand the issue. If possible, could you post the files here or send them to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I just noticed that you posted a custom sprocket issue and there was no answer. You can send the files to me also.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
TheCADWhisperer

This would require a bit if Studio trickery and intermediate to advanced experience.

Check out Mark Flaylor's  AU presentations on Studio for tips (simulating liquid levels, but the process would be similar).

Message 4 of 4
kpyoung333

Are you familiar with inventor studio? I have done this to simulate a milling environment, there are better programs and ways but it is possible using inventor! If you provide files we can show you some nifty stuff. The idea I would think to use: create a cut feature with a named dimension HEIGHT=6. From memory when you go into Studio make it a Key dimension in Parameters Favorites. Then when you make an animation, animate the pin going through the part from 1-10 seconds at a motion dimension 10in where it engages the plate at 4seconds and 4in. Drive the cut from 4-10 seconds at 6in. As the pin hits the plate they will be at the same animation time and "cut". https://youtu.be/o4JYzDHUO7g

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report