Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D point in space - linked to Excel

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tambraton
3102 Views, 5 Replies

3D point in space - linked to Excel

Good Day to you sir! Newbie inventor user here.

Would anyone know how to assign a 3d coordinate in space, and have it linked directly to a excel spreadsheet - so updates/changes to the excel can be reflected in the points? (key idea is linked to the excel sheet)

The situation is like this:
-I have 18 (could be 200 in the future) points located in 3D space.
-I know how and can import these points into a 3D sketch no problem.
-   BUT   - how would I link each point and its 3 coordinates to the excel sheet, so when a change is made to the excel sheet, I can update the points?

The only way I can figure it out is by manually dimensioning each point to the origin x,y,z planes.

Is this the only way? What to do with 200 points?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

tb

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BMiller63
in reply to: tambraton

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think this can be done, other than possibly with some custom VB code. Did you search the forum for this already? If so you might be aware of some of the suggestions made in the past.

Here are a few threads on this question from the past.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=Node%3A78&q=exc...

Message 3 of 6
Dennis_Jeffrey

What are these 200 points?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 4 of 6
Steve_Bahr

Try this.  It's an IV2010 template I made for our bent tubes.  Opening the template brings you directly to the base sketch.  Exit the sketch.  Open the spreadsheet from the model browser.  Notice the many points, all specified by x, y & z coordinates.  Also notice the tube od and tube wall are specified.  Edit the values of those points and save the spreadsheet.  Flip back to the template and hit update [the yellow thunderbolt].  Viola!  You're given a 3D sketch with the curve path.  Delete the line returning back to 0,0,0 and add fillets.  Create the sweep.  To understand how I created the workpoints, examine the model browser.  How you get the point info EXPORTED to a drawing will be up to you.  But I can help you with that too, since I've already done it here.

Hope that helps.

Steve Bahr...since 1962.
in reply to: Steve_Bahr

Great - i think I can use this, thanks.

So, In general, you create a workpoint with the intersection of 3 planes. Each planes is offset from the origin plans by xi, yi and zi.  Is this correct?

By the way, some background on my application. Each point corresponds to a bend (or a PI) in a large diameter pipeline alignment down the side of a mountain.

Thanks again, this is great

Tom Burton

Message 6 of 6
Steve_Bahr

Yup, workpoints at the intersection of workplanes offset from the origin planes.  Glad to help.

Steve Bahr...since 1962.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report