Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 More issues Flat Pattern

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
jletcher
1237 Views, 32 Replies

2018 More issues Flat Pattern

This is getting very frustrating I cannot believe all the issues 2018 has..

I made a Sheet metal part derived such part both had flat patterns in both went to base added surface to bottom slots for leg bracket went to derived part edit derive part add the surface to the derived part..

And the flat pattern fails? For add a few surface holes? And now I can't get a flat pattern and I get this error.

Sick 01.JPG

What does that even mean?

My God Autodesk what have you done............

Can't do anything in 2018 without something screwing up...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/don-t-add-anything/idi-p/3685008

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
MechMachineMan
in reply to: jletcher

Can you explain better what the 2 attached files are supposed to be? Is the one supposed to be failing when making the flat pattern? Both are working fine.

Or are you saying that these 2 go into a derived part?

Screencast might help explain..

--------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Like' button below.

Justin K
Inventor 2018.2.3, Build 227 | Excel 2013+ VBA
ERP/CAD Communication | Custom Scripting
Machine Design | Process Optimization

iLogic/Inventor API: Autodesk Online Help | API Shortcut In Google Chrome | iLogic API Documentation
Vb.Net/VBA Programming: MSDN | Stackoverflow | Excel Object Model
Inventor API/VBA/Vb.Net Learning Resources: Forum Thread

Sample Solutions:Debugging in iLogic ( and Batch PDF Export Sample ) | API HasSaveCopyAs Issues |
BOM Export & Column Reorder | Reorient Skewed Part | Add Internal Profile Dogbones |
Run iLogic From VBA | Batch File Renaming| Continuous Pick/Rename Objects

Local Help: %PUBLIC%\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Local Help

Ideas: Dockable/Customizable Property Browser | Section Line API/Thread Feature in Assembly/PartsList API Static Cells | Fourth BOM Type
Message 3 of 33
jletcher

Wow Autodesk I can't believe this..

I now have to go to the solid body of my derived part to tell it to follow the sheet metal rule.... But had no issue making the flat pattern until I add surface holes?

Why did it change? Why did it work then fail after editing to add surface?

More clicks more clicks for something that worked...

You all are going backwards..

Message 4 of 33
jletcher

OK Autodesk time for you to review this improvement you did..

Every time you make a change to the master the derived part flat pattern fails.

Reason the box unchecks itself in the solid..

Why?

And do I have to wait 20 releases for you to fix this? Or can you please prove you care about the users and come out with fix within 24 hours?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/don-t-add-anything/idi-p/3685008

Message 5 of 33
mcgyvr

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar Smiley Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 33
Frederick_Law

Well, love that new feature.

Set Sheet Metal Style in Master Sketch file and all derive parts use the same style.

Save lots of time.

Go to your template file and uncheck the option.  Save the template.

Message 7 of 33
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

I'll try some honey..

@johnsonshiue Johnson,

Per the 2 files provided above by James...

Can you please let us know why the "use default" box accessible by right clicking on a solid and selecting "set sheet metal style" unchecks itself and causes the flat pattern to fail or error out until its set again?

Is there a valid reason for such function or is it maybe a bug in the software?

While I have never used multi-body sheet metal and rarely do I use derived files I'm not sure either why its even requiring that to be checked to create a flat pattern nor why its unchecking itself in the derived child when you make any change to the parent model?

It may help to calm the James beast if the reasoning behind such functionality was known to him.. 

Or if its a bug.. Its a bug and lets squash it.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 33
jletcher
in reply to: Frederick_Law

Try reading my comment again you missed something..

Message 9 of 33
jletcher

Trust me that was with some honey. You would not have liked my 1st 3 drafts with none..

Message 10 of 33
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

I have taken a look at the files you attached. You don't need to override the default setting. It should work if you derive SB8348-01.ipt into a new sheet metal part. It looks like "Follow Defaults" was unchecked in Set Sheet Metal Rule dialog. Do you know why it was unchecked?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 33
jletcher
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Are you talking when I derived it into new part that dialog?  In picture below..

This one.JPG

Message 12 of 33
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

Yes and no. The checkbox in Derive dialog should be checked by default. I was talking about if you right-click on the Solid body in the derived part. Somehow the "Follow Defaults" in the "Set Sheet Metal Rule" dialog is unchecked. It should be checked by default also.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 33
mcgyvr

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi James,

Yes and no. The checkbox in Derive dialog should be checked by default. I was talking about if you right-click on the Solid body in the derived part. Somehow the "Follow Defaults" in the "Set Sheet Metal Rule" dialog is unchecked. It should be checked by default also.

Many thanks!

@johnsonshiue Try to check it.. Then make a change to the master part.. Upon doing so the "follow defaults" then unchecks itself in the child

Message 14 of 33
jletcher

It was checked by default and when I make a change to the base and update it unchecks itself and errors the flat pattern like I explain in other post...

Go make a change to the big holes change the 2.250 to 3.000 save go to derive part update and there is your error..

Message 15 of 33
jletcher

Message 16 of 33
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

This is a very good catch! It is indeed a bug. I cannot explain why the checkbox is unchecked. Interestingly, I tried it on our internal build and it seems to work fine. I need to work with the project team to find out what was the issue and how it was fixed.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 33
jletcher

You need to work with project team to make us a fix..

Thanks

Message 18 of 33
mcgyvr

Fit Shappens.. No one is perfect.. Things get overlooked.. Bugs happen..

If we all stay cool/calm/collected and act in a mature manner and spend time clearly describing the issue vs spouting blah blah about your anger/dislike stuff gets identified and can be fixed..

When one needs to navigate through a post of 75% ranting and 25% useful information confusion can occur and things can get overlooked an quite frankly people might not want to help.  

I'm sure Johnson will get this taken care of in a timely fashion.. 

Message 19 of 33
johnsonshiue

Hi Brian,

You gave me too much credit than I deserved. I am just a clog cleaner facilitating clear communication to both ends. Things usually take care of themselves.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 33
jletcher

Maybe if they show me they care about users jump on the issues and send out fixes within a weeks time not 4 months or next release I will calm down on my ranting.

They seem to forget these issues cost money on my end and the longer to fix it cost more..

And seeing I am still frustrated this ilogic is not working and everyday I can't get it to work cost down time and money...

Maybe when it starts hitting your wallet you will feel the same..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report