Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Frame Generator Custom Profiles

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
spackle42
2251 Views, 4 Replies

2014 Frame Generator Custom Profiles

Hi guys, I'm trying to find out whether I can create custom frame generator profiles in IV2014.  I've already searched the forums and AD's help files but any solutions that I've come across aren't viable (referencing files that don't exist on my machine etc).  Is this still possible, and if so, how?

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SeanFarr
in reply to: spackle42

Hey Justin,

I know that Frame Generator becomes useless when trying to author "complicated" frames.

I tried to author a part; a wire duct for electrical purposes and it was not achievable.

I think simple frame parts such as tubes is only allowable into the frame generator library.

Here is my thread, I posted awhile back:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Part-will-not-Author-correctly-for-frame-generator-u...

Good Luck!

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 3 of 5
spackle42
in reply to: SeanFarr

The frame itself isn't complex, it's the profile that I want to change.  The frame is to be made of aluminium extrusions which have a different cross section to standard steel angle.  It would be far more efficient to author a new profile and use the frame generator than to extrude each member individually then try to assemble them...

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 4 of 5
SeanFarr

That was my mistake, I meant to say complicated profile, not frame, I think it needs to be a uniform frame member, like a tube or I beam, the duct I tried to make has a bunch of slits in it which is where Inventor ran into issues.

Hard to say if it can be done or not with out seeing the profile...I followed the tutorial on wiki on authoring Frame Generator structural components.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1655-Assembli1655/1792-Build_s...

Let us know here if you get good results!!

Thanks!

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 5 of 5
jeanchile

You shouldn't have any trouble with an extrusion at all. Just follow the wiki. We author custom profiles from time to time with no issues and just followed the instructions AutoDesk provided. I think Sean's problem came into play when he had patterned features about the length of the part and assuming you don't have those it should be a piece of cake.

Good Luck.

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report