Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011- Flat pattern shows as "Hidden line" layer

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
karthur1
1551 Views, 20 Replies

2011- Flat pattern shows as "Hidden line" layer

When we open some of our idw that have flat patterns shown in them, all flat pattern edges will be on the "Hidden Lines" layer.  These were created in 2010 and migrated to 2011.  We have came across several of these and some of them can be "Fixed" by editing the flat pattern definition (see this link below), but some of them can't.  Sometimes we have to delete the flat pattern in the idw, reinsert it and redo the dimensions.

http://www.screencast.com/users/ewest13/folders/Jing/media/3903a5ba-19c1-4261-a2af-857715c9ff0e

What is the fix for this?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: karthur1

I'm having the same problem intermittently, so I'll bump this thread hoping a solution is out there.

~Jonathan

Message 3 of 21
karthur1

Jonathan,

Just wondering if you were able to "edit flat pattern definition" and get it to show correctly?  I know it is frustrating to have to do this.

Kirk

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

Hey Kirk,

I watched your video, and my problem is the same as yours. It can be remedied the same way (Editing the flat pattern), but is frustrating.

~Jonathan

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous

Yea, its great to be paying so much for should a great program that only works sometimes OH, i mean PAYING EVERY YEAR............and after years and years of the same problem the only fix is a "work-around"

Message 6 of 21
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. It is possible these flat patterns were created before 3D flat pattern was available. Do you have an example showing the behavior? I would like to understand it better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 21
andrecok
in reply to: johnsonshiue

this is REALLY BORING! sometimes it works, wometimes not. costs a lot, soon much more, but bugs are unsolved since the age of dinosaur. customers as BETA-tester.
Message 8 of 21
johnsonshiue
in reply to: andrecok

Hi! Could you share an example exhibiting the behavior? The behavior certainly is wrong but I need to understand why and how it happens. Please send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). Without an example, there isn't much I can do.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 21
karthur1

Johnson,

How about this?  Open the idw and you should see the issue.  To correct it, edit the flat pattern definition in the part.  Flip the "Base Face" a couple times then exit and return to the idw.

I can probably come up with more examples if you need them.  I think these files were created with 2017.  Not sure how the flat pattern gets into this state.

Kirk

2017-04-28_0914.png

Message 10 of 21
johnsonshiue

Hi Kirk,

Many thanks for the example! I was not aware of this issue. There is something interesting about the flat pattern body. Somehow the body is being considered as hidden edges and the edges are on Hidden Edges layer. I need to understand this behavior better.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 21
karthur1

Thanks, I'll ask around and see if I can find more examples.

Kirk

Message 12 of 21
karthur1

another example

Message 13 of 21
timothy_berg

Has this issue been resolved? I'm having the same trouble with 2017.

Message 14 of 21
karthur1
in reply to: timothy_berg

I haven't ran across it in a while.  But ..... it may still be around.  We are on 2018 now.  

Can you post an example?

Thanks

Message 15 of 21
timothy_berg

Sure can, the most frustrating thing about this is, this issue is not consistent. I can place a dozen flat patterns and than one will be on the wrong layer.

Thanks for your help  

Message 16 of 21

@timothy_berg @karthur1

Just curious if a Rebuild All resolves this, as described here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/sheet-metal-flat-patterns-appear-as-dashed-lines-in-id...

I just ran into this issue Inventor 2017, and rebuild all resolved it.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 17 of 21

Is that accessible under ilogic?

Message 18 of 21

@timothy_berg wrote:
Is that accessible under ilogic?

Hey, no fair answering a question with another question. Smiley Tongue

So can I assume Rebuild All does resolve this for you then? (just wanting to know for my own knowledge)

But yes, you can run something like the snippet below from the drawing to rebuild the model and update the impacted drawing views.

edit: I just ran this snippet on karthur1's files from post #9 of this thread and it fixed the drawing view.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

'rebuild all on model document
 ThisDrawing.ModelDocument.Rebuild()
'update drawing document
 InventorVb.DocumentUpdate()

Message 19 of 21
Yijiang.Cai

@karthur1@Curtis_Waguespack

When trying to click the command "Manage -> Rebuild All", the line type of flat pattern view turns correct, which works fine in Inventor 2018 even in Inventor 2017 with Update. Does it works fine for you?

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 20 of 21
karthur1
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

River,

I opened my two sample parts posted above that is showing this flat pattern wrong in the idw and did a "Rebuild all".  The flat pattern lines are shown correctly again. I am currently using 2018.2.3.  Wish we didn't have to do that extra step, but if that is what fixes it, then I guess that is good enough.

Thanks,

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report