Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill of Materials Quantities

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
AlexFielder
1105 Views, 12 Replies

Bill of Materials Quantities

Hi All,

I am working on an I-Can't-believe-it's-not-iLogic solution for a customer problem and have run across a glaring limitation with the Inventor Bill of Materials itself.

If I open the (Structured View-All levels) BOM within Inventor 2015 I see the following:

Inventor 2015 BOM.png

Wherein the parent correctly displays a quantity of 4, and I suppose is correctly displaying a quantity of 1 for the sub assembly.

The other thing that is odd and I assume by design is that exporting the Bill of Materials gets me the same result, it shows exactly what you see above, not the actual total of the (item numbered 111.15.2 above) within the assembly. Another glaring omission is the inability to do any filtering or searching within the BOM interface.

If there isn't already an Ideastation post on this, then I plan to make one.

The problem also affects the Bill of Materials Structured view if I query it with the following piece of code:

Private Function QueryBOMRowProperties(ByVal oBOMRows As BOMRowsEnumerator) As List(Of BomRowItem)
        Dim tmplist As List(Of BomRowItem) = New List(Of BomRowItem)
        ' Iterate through the contents of the BOM Rows.
        Dim i As Long
        For i = 1 To oBOMRows.Count

' Get the current row.
            Dim oRow As BOMRow
            oRow = oBOMRows.Item(i)

'Set a reference to the primary ComponentDefinition of the row
            Dim oCompDef As ComponentDefinition
            oCompDef = oRow.ComponentDefinitions.Item(1)
            tmplist.Add(getRowItem(oCompDef, oRow))
            If Not oRow.ChildRows Is Nothing Then
                tmplist.AddRange(QueryBOMRowProperties(oRow.ChildRows))
            End If
        Next
        Return tmplist
    End Function

This returns a total count within the parent assembly of 3 per parent assembly - which in turn gives me a total of 9 for the overall assembly (As this item is used in other places) when in fact the total calculated by legacy means should actually be 18.

I had just tested the following amendment to the above snippet whereby I check for the quantity of each oRow and loop through my QueryBOMRowProperties function that number of times to return the correct result:

Private Function QueryBOMRowProperties(ByVal oBOMRows As BOMRowsEnumerator) As List(Of BomRowItem)
        ' Iterate through the contents of the BOM Rows.
        Dim i As Long
        For i = 1 To oBOMRows.Count

' Get the current row.
            Dim oRow As BOMRow
            oRow = oBOMRows.Item(i)
            If oRow.ItemQuantity > 1 Then
                For itemqty As Integer = 1 To oRow.ItemQuantity
                    Dim oCompDef As ComponentDefinition = oRow.ComponentDefinitions.Item(1)
                    End If
                Next
            Else
                Dim oCompDef As ComponentDefinition = oRow.ComponentDefinitions.Item(1)
                End If
            End If

Next
        Return tmplist
    End Function

Using the above snippet, at first glance the result seemed to be bang on what we were expecting, but then we noticed that some items which should only appear 4 times were appearing 19 times so something is amiss with my amendment above.

Now I am left with having to consider querying every occurrence and sub-occurrence within my parent assembly to calculate the correct totals for items, or is there a simple fix I have overlooked to the parts themselves, something that will make the part that is appearing once actually appear three times?

So all in all, it's been a very confusing day so far.

Thanks,

Alex.

PS. none of these missing parts are set to referenced or phantom etc. <- I already checked that because @salariua asked me earlier.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
cbenner
in reply to: AlexFielder

Alex, I think this IS by design, and with my limited knowledge of this assembly, correct.  I am assuming that ineach sub-assembly there is only one of that part?  The BOM reflects that there are (4) sub-assemblies, each one of which contains (1) of these parts.  This is the right way to show it.  If it showed a quantity of (4) on the part at the subassembly level, that (4) would then need to be multiplied by the (4) instances of the subassembly... giving you (16) of those parts.  I'm fairly certain this is normal behavior for an indented BOM.

Message 3 of 13
scottmoyse

I'm a bit stumped. I can't see the problem in your description or the images you've supplied. The two highlighted iam's are different. Does 111.15.2 exist in other sub assemblies like 111.15?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 4 of 13
salariua

I better understand now your situation and I must say that the BOM seems correct to me, it would have been more confusing to show total quantity for each child part/subassembly. following me....?

I know using BOM to Parts Only will not help you because you need to check quantity for subassemblies as well.

Can we ask what is the final goal of your ilogic? What are you trying to achieve? Maybe we can work around it.

If it’s just a report then maybe this will help?

http://blog.ads-sol.com/2014/06/parts-list-with-thumbnails.html

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 5 of 13
AlexFielder
in reply to: scottmoyse

Hi @scottmoyse, yes it does appear in other assemblies.

This job is for a seating arrangement and can be explained thus:

I have an assembly 1 unit wide by 4 rows deep.

The rear row doesn't use the offending assembly at all.

Each remaining row includes a left and right hand assembly which has our sub assembly within it making a total count per row so far of two occurrences. 

Each of the remaining three rows also includes 4 "standard" assemblies each including one occurrence of the assembly shown as item 111.15.2 so this should equal six occurrences per row for a total of eighteen occurrences overall.

The by-design problem is that the structured view (all levels) doesn't account for the three extra physical occurrences.

I've never noticed this before now because normally this would be taken care of with a parts list on a drawing.

Message 6 of 13
scottmoyse
in reply to: salariua

They need Vault Pro Smiley Sad

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 13
AlexFielder
in reply to: salariua

Hi @salariua I don't think the Bill of Materials is incorrect either, I'm just trying to grasp how I can achieve the desired report whilst still using the Inventor API.

And (As I just saw it pop up in my email) I agree with you @scottmoyse that they could probably do all of this with Vault Pro.

I guess I need to query every occurrence in the assembly and subassemblies adding them to my partslist as I go.

Message 8 of 13
adam.nagy

I'm not sure I uderstand correctly what you need exactly, but if I did, then I think the simplest code would be to iterate through all the occurrences/suboccurrences in the assembly and then keep a list of all the ComponentDefinition objects with a number saying how many times you ran into them. It could be optimized, but would do the job.

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 9 of 13
AlexFielder
in reply to: adam.nagy

Hi Adam,

That's exactly the solution I have implemented:

''' <summary>
    ''' Queries all the occurrences in the assembly because the Bill of Materials can't be trusted to present the correct quantities of items in sub assemblies.
    ''' </summary>
    ''' <param name="activeDocument">The document we wish to parse</param>
    ''' <returns>Returns a list of BomRowItem objects</returns>
    Private Function QueryAssemblyOccurrences(activeDocument As Document) As List(Of BomRowItem)
        Dim oCompDef As ComponentDefinition
        If TypeOf activeDocument Is AssemblyDocument Then
            Dim assydoc As AssemblyDocument = activeDocument
            oCompDef = assydoc.ComponentDefinition
            If Not assydoc.FullFileName = InventorApplication.ActiveDocument.FullFileName Then
                tmplist.Add(getRowItem(oCompDef))
            End If
            For Each occurrence As ComponentOccurrence In assydoc.ComponentDefinition.Occurrences
                If TypeOf occurrence.Definition.Document Is AssemblyDocument Then
                    Dim subassydoc As AssemblyDocument = occurrence.Definition.Document
                    oCompDef = subassydoc.ComponentDefinition
                    tmplist.AddRange(QueryAssemblyOccurrences(subassydoc))
                Else
                    Dim partdoc As PartDocument = occurrence.Definition.Document
                    oCompDef = partdoc.ComponentDefinition
                End If
            Next
        Else
            Dim partdoc As PartDocument = activeDocument
            oCompDef = partdoc.ComponentDefinition
        End If
        Return tmplist
    End Function

There might be an optimisation I have missed, but on the whole the above works better than querying the Bill of Materials.

Thanks,

Alex.

Message 10 of 13
LukeDavenport

Alex,

I haven't read through all this in detail, but if you are simply after the total summed quantities of each occurrence in the entire assembly, whether in sub-assemblies or not, then the Parts Only BOM will do this for you. Any children components are 'promoted' and merged, no matter how deep in the assembly.

I notice Adrian mentioned this above. What is the reason you can't use 'Parts Only'?

Message 11 of 13

Ah I just read it properly and I think I understand. You want total summed quantities for sub-assembly files AS WELL as the part occurrences they contain? That strikes me as a strange requirement for a bill of materials format!

Anyway, I think you need the ComponentOccurrences.AllReferencedOccurrences Property of the top level assembly occurrences collection. Check the help files. It'll do all the summing for you for each component definition you use it with, and it'll be faster than looping through every occurrence. To get all the component definitions in the whole assembly you need to loop through AllReferencedDocuments.

Message 12 of 13
AlexFielder
in reply to: LukeDavenport

Hi Luke,

That's exactly the problem. If it was just Parts I needed to count, the Parts-only option would have worked just fine.

And I agree, it is a strange requirement for a Bill of Materials format, but is driven by the customer specification; basically they use a custom true/false iProperty to determine whether a Sub-assembly/part appears on a so-called "fabrication list".

Thanks for the tip on the ComponentOccurrences.AllReferencedOccurrences Property, I'll be sure to take a look when I am back at the customer site this week.

Cheers,

Alex.

Message 13 of 13
LukeDavenport

My pleasure

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report