Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from Network to Stand-Alone in 2017? YES!

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
TravisNave
13684 Views, 25 Replies

Switch from Network to Stand-Alone in 2017? YES!

Issue:  In previous versions of Autodesk products (except for Revit) it was not easily possible to switch license types from network to stand-alone without making registry changes or reinstalling the product entirely.

Solution:  Autodesk has finally made switching from network to stand-alone and back much easier.  In fact, you can switch from network to trial in the event that you find yourself off the network without a borrowed license.  In a pinch, you could switch to a one-time trial install for 30 days and continue to work until you can access your network licensing again!

Instructions:  Follow these steps to change your license type:

1.  Launch your Autodesk 2017 product and choose the Help > About pulldown from the upper right-hand corner where the help ? bubble is located. 

2.  Choose the new Manage License... button (formerly Product Information) on the resulting window.

Click Manage Licenses...

3.  Under the new License Manager screen, choose the option for Change license type next to your installed product.  Note the change that this is also the location where you borrow a network license.

Change License Type

4.  Verify that you want to change the license type by clicking the Change button on the resulting window.

Click Change

5.  If you are on a network version, you may get the familiar warning to save and quit since your network license has now been removed.  Choose the option that best fits your needs and let your Autodesk product close.

Save then Exit

6.  Launch your Autodesk product again.  You will now be presented with the licensing screen just as if you installed it fresh.  Choose the option that best fits your needs.  If you are on a network version and do not have access to your network license manager because you forgot to borrow, then you can run a 30-day trial for one time only.  A trial will only work once and cannot be reset.

License your product

Conclusion:  Your product licensing can now be safely changed.   Thank you Autodesk for finally addressing this issue over the years. 

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
TravisNave
in reply to: TravisNave

Note:  I also wanted to point out that if you have a stand-alone activation and switch to network, your activation will remain active if you switch back.  You will not lose any of your stand-alone activations by changing your licensing.  This is great news!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 26
DarrenP

yes finally they made this easy

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 26
edwin.prakoso

Excellent post as always Travis.

That is a great news!

If this post solves your problem, please mark it as solved. It will help others with a similar problem to find a solution.

Kind regards,

Edwin Prakoso
LinkedIn | Website | Twitter
Message 5 of 26

thanks for the help

Message 6 of 26
rkmcswain

@TravisNave - what if you are off the network? You can't do step 1 since the application will not let you in w/o a license.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 26
TravisNave
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:
@TravisNave - what if you are off the network? You can't do step 1 since the application will not let you in w/o a license.

RK,

You might try this process to change it manually. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...

Good Luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 26
rkmcswain

Thanks @TravisNave.
Hope that helps someone down the road.

I was able to connect via VPN so that it would start up, then performed the switch. Cheers sir!
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 26
OBERDACKER

@TravisNave is there a way to do this with AutoCAD 2016, or a utility I could download from Autodesk to add this option to my 2016 installs?  If I have a Networked suite installed and a stand alone AutoCAD can I change only the AutoCAD license?

Message 10 of 26
DarrenP
in reply to: OBERDACKER

with 2016 and lower there was a registry hack you could do http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2013/04/autocad-family-2014-hacking-the-registry-to-chang...

no guarantee this will work the supported way is to uninstall/reinstall

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 26
TravisNave
in reply to: OBERDACKER

You *might* be able to switch a stand-alone AutoCAD 2016 to network. But
there's no official supported method.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 26
adam

Fantastic!  - as I assume this works in 3dsmax too; I will confirm once I head down to the studio floor.

Message 13 of 26
Steven.A.King

This does not work. I get a "Sign in as a different user" button and a greyed out "Activate" button.

Message 14 of 26

@Steven.A.King

Welcome to the community..

What Autodesk Product and Version are you even referring to?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 15 of 26
Darin.Green
in reply to: Steven.A.King

@Steven.A.King

Changing the licensing type works. However, the issue you're having is that you do not have access to use the software within Autodesk Account. Your account manager have to assign you access to use the software.

If you still have trouble running the software, reset your licensing information by doing the following:

This should help get your application working. Assuming you have a valid serial number/contract.

1. On your computer, navigate to:
    • ​​C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\CLM\LGS\<product key>_<<product version>>\
  2. Delete the LGS.data file.
  3. Navigate to
    • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\
  4. Delete the ADUT folder and it's contents
  5. Start the application.

When you start the application, it will Prompt you to choose one of the following:

• Login - 30 day trial licenses
  • Serial Number - Standalone and Single-User activations
  • Network - Network License server for obtaining licenses from a machine on your network

Choose the option that matches your license. 

NOTE: Students will always use the Serial Number option

If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by using the Accept as Solution

Message 16 of 26
natasha.l

Hello @Steven.A.King,

Welcome back. You are replying to an old post, so I assume that you can not activate your software because you are encountering the "Contact your administrator" screen. 

This issue usually indicates the user has no permission and the contract administrator needs to add the user to account.  Please refer to the link: Set Up & Manage Users If, you believe users are assigned properly, in some cases Resetting and Changing Your Autodesk Account Password has resolved this issue.

Please keep us posted on the progress of this issue. Thank you for posting. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 26

2017 AutoCAD, I have not tried to change my 2017 Revit.

Steven King
BIM/CAD Manager
sking@mcveighmangum.com
Office: (904) 483-5200 | Direct: (904) 483-5220
McVeigh & Mangum Engineering, Inc.
9133 RG Skinner Pkwy
Jacksonville, Florida, 32256
www.mcveighmangum.com

[cid:image001.png@01D28870.420EB320]

Atlanta | Charlotte | Jacksonville

This email and any attachments sent with it may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, or an authorized employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us by reply email and delete this email from your records. Thank you for your cooperation.
Message 18 of 26

@Steven.A.King

First thing..  Are you sure you want to share all of your personal information on a world wide user forum?  You should never reply to a forum posting using your email system..  Smiley Wink

Are you going from stand alone (single user) to network (multi-user) or network to stand alone license type?

If you are going from network to stand alone than the information @Darin.Green and @natasha.l have provided needs to be done since you have term based licensing.  In addition why are you switching?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 19 of 26
natasha.l

Hello @Steven.A.King,

If you are not the Contract Administrator or the Coordinator you need to have them review the information in the links I provided. If you believe that you are assigned the product properly, then try the work around that @Darin.Green as provided. 

Please let us know how it goes. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 26

I have both networked and standalone seats and am running tests.

Steven King
BIM/CAD Manager
sking@mcveighmangum.com
Office: (904) 483-5200 | Direct: (904) 483-5220
McVeigh & Mangum Engineering, Inc.
9133 RG Skinner Pkwy
Jacksonville, Florida, 32256
www.mcveighmangum.com

[cid:image001.png@01D28871.5884B5E0]

Atlanta | Charlotte | Jacksonville

This email and any attachments sent with it may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, or an authorized employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us by reply email and delete this email from your records. Thank you for your cooperation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report