Installation & Licensing

Reply
*name, no
Post 1 of 14

Silent Install

340 Views, 13 Replies
12-29-1999 10:14 AM
Can you change the install type from silent to non-silent without
reinstalling on server?

Thanks!

engewsu@ewsu.com
*Schroeder, Bud
Post 2 of 14

Re: Silent Install

12-29-1999 11:54 AM in reply to: *name, no
Hello,

If you are running ACAD 2000, you can create a Second Install image that
points back to your first image. You could make this one Verbose.
Then you can have both on your server and not take up all the disk space
like R14 needed. If you are running R14, you could just run the
CLIENT.EXE and it will give you a VERBOSE install. Good for trouble
shooting deployment problems.

Hope this helps.

Bud

no name wrote:

> Can you change the install type from silent to non-silent without
> reinstalling on server?
>
> Thanks!
>
> engewsu@ewsu.com
*name, no
Post 3 of 14

Re: Silent Install

12-30-1999 06:00 AM in reply to: *name, no
Actually I was hoping that somebody could tell me what switch in the inf
file under the image directory to change. Or is there a switch to put after
the command that would control whether Autocad 2000 or CadOverlay 2000 would
install in silent mode or not.

Thanks very much for any help.
*Schroeder, Bud
Post 4 of 14

Re:

12-30-1999 10:47 PM in reply to: *name, no
Hello,

You probably could muck with Appsetup.inf, but I'm not sure why you would want
to do this. Just create a NEW deployment and call in Silent. Then point
everyone at it. Nothing to toggle back and forth, just point to the deployment
that you want your users to run. Give it a try, it works GREAT. You can get
to it in the Advanced button in the Network Setup Wizard. Then used the Shared
installer Tree. I think you will see that you can do everything you want
here;-)...

Hope this helps.

Bud

no name wrote:

> Actually I was hoping that somebody could tell me what switch in the inf
> file under the image directory to change. Or is there a switch to put after
> the command that would control whether Autocad 2000 or CadOverlay 2000 would
> install in silent mode or not.
>
> Thanks very much for any help.
*Penzinger, Rupert
Post 5 of 14

Re: Silent Install

02-24-2000 05:42 PM in reply to: *name, no
Is there a way to silent install autodesk's updates and patches. When
you have several NT workstations on a NT Server network this can save
you hours if not days.

If you can't silent install then WHY NOT!.

Rupert
*Lyons, Joseph
Post 6 of 14

Re: Silent Install

02-24-2000 05:42 PM in reply to: *name, no
<<< Message <8944g4$mpt35@adesknews2.autodesk.com> was originally posted to 'autodesk.autocad.2000general' on Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:31:56 -0500.>>>

Dumb question time..... What is a Silent install???

Joseph Lyons

"Rupert Penzinger" wrote in message
news:38B58CA1.D5936CA5@forrec.com...
> Is there a way to silent install autodesk's updates and patches. When
> you have several NT workstations on a NT Server network this can save
> you hours if not days.
>
> If you can't silent install then WHY NOT!.
>
> Rupert
>
*Nehls, Kevin
Post 6 of 14

Re: Silent Install

02-24-2000 05:42 PM in reply to: *name, no
<<< Message <8945uu$mre28@adesknews2.autodesk.com> was originally posted to 'autodesk.autocad.2000general' on Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:56:54 -0800.>>>

An install that does not require any user input. You can get this with
AutoCAD if you perform a network deployment.

--
Kevin Nehls
for reply remove -ns-
Joseph Lyons wrote in message <8944g4$mpt35@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
>Dumb question time..... What is a Silent install???
>
>Joseph Lyons
>
Highlighted
*Malard, Fernando Poinho
Post 8 of 14

Re:

02-24-2000 11:39 PM in reply to: *name, no
Joseph,

Silent install is a "background" process. This way users can't see what is
happening.

[]s

"Joseph Lyons" wrote in message
news:894mlv$otb16@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> <<< Message <8944g4$mpt35@adesknews2.autodesk.com> was originally posted
to 'autodesk.autocad.2000general' on Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:31:56 -0500.>>>
>
> Dumb question time..... What is a Silent install???
>
> Joseph Lyons
>
>
> "Rupert Penzinger" wrote in message
> news:38B58CA1.D5936CA5@forrec.com...
> > Is there a way to silent install autodesk's updates and patches. When
> > you have several NT workstations on a NT Server network this can save
> > you hours if not days.
> >
> > If you can't silent install then WHY NOT!.
> >
> > Rupert
> >
*Penzinger, Rupert
Post 9 of 14

Re:

02-25-2000 06:16 AM in reply to: *name, no
I don't' have a Acad network deployment. I just want to deploy all the patches and updates via the network without my or users intervention.

Rupert

Kevin Nehls wrote:

> <<< Message <8945uu$mre28@adesknews2.autodesk.com> was originally posted to 'autodesk.autocad.2000general' on Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:56:54 -0800.>>>
>
> An install that does not require any user input. You can get this with
> AutoCAD if you perform a network deployment.
>
> --
> Kevin Nehls
> for reply remove -ns-
> Joseph Lyons wrote in message <8944g4$mpt35@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
> >Dumb question time..... What is a Silent install???
> >
> >Joseph Lyons
> >
*Milana, Jerry
Post 10 of 14

Re:

02-25-2000 03:54 PM in reply to: *name, no
Rupert,

The only way you could do what you want is if you are using Microsoft SMS or similar application administration tool. If you are using such a tool, it
is the responsibility of the SMS administrator to implement and deploy such a package to your workstations.

Jerry Milana

Rupert Penzinger wrote:

> I don't' have a Acad network deployment. I just want to deploy all the patches and updates via the network without my or users intervention.
>
> Rupert
>
> Kevin Nehls wrote:
>
> > <<< Message <8945uu$mre28@adesknews2.autodesk.com> was originally posted to 'autodesk.autocad.2000general' on Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:56:54 -0800.>>>
> >
> > An install that does not require any user input. You can get this with
> > AutoCAD if you perform a network deployment.
> >
> > --
> > Kevin Nehls
> > for reply remove -ns-
> > Joseph Lyons wrote in message <8944g4$mpt35@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
> > >Dumb question time..... What is a Silent install???
> > >
> > >Joseph Lyons
> > >
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Community Alert

The Autodesk Community Forums, Blogs, and Idea Boards will be in read only mode starting on 2/12 at 9PM PST through 12PM PST on 2/13. Please see the following for more information: Site Maintenance Notification

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Announcements
Community Alert | The Autodesk Community Forums, Blogs, and Idea Boards will be in read only mode starting on 2/12 at 9PM PST through 12PM PST on 2/13. Please see the following for more information: Site Maintenance Notification