Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setup SECTION setup is missing

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Nerd3D
6839 Views, 3 Replies

setup SECTION setup is missing

Can't launch Max 2017 it simple fails to launch. The process pops up for about 10 seconds and just goes away. Splash never even shows up. I can't uninstall because when I start uninstall from control panel it throws "Section SETUP is missing" about 20 times and then freezes up.

Tried downloading the stand alone installer it won't re-instrall. the next button stays grayed out.

Completely dead in the water here.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Nerd3D

Hello @Nerd3D and welcome to the community,

I apologize for the delay here.  It sounds like your Windows installation is damaged.  Do you use registry cleaners or anything like that?  I will transfer this thread to installation and licensing.  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 4
natasha.l
in reply to: Nerd3D

Hello @Nerd3D,

Welcome back. Not sure what operating system you are on but try a Clean Uninstall of the product, review Prepare your computer for download & download via the Autodesk Virtual Agent and install the product again.

If the issue continues: 

1. Make sure you have an updated graphics card driver on the manufacturer's website (Assign the correct Graphics Card - Step #8)
  2. Check the Operating System needed & the latest updates by reviewing the system requirement for the software 
  3. Update your product with the latest service pack or Hotfixes by visiting the Autodesk website or account
  4. In Windows Start, delete unnecessary items in the Windows Temp folder, but do not delete the Windows Temp folder itself. You can locate the Temp folder by entering %TEMP% in the Search bar of Windows Start
  5. Temporarily disable antivirus & firewall, use Task Manager to "End Task" feature to end the anti-virus software or other items that could be running in the background
  6. Go to the Autodesk install media and try to install with the Setup.exe 

Keep us posted on the progress. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Nerd3D
in reply to: natasha.l

Sorry it's Win 7 x64

I ended up manually weeding everything that had any thing to do with Autodesk out of the OS. I use the MS install repair utility and then regedit to hunt down and remove all anything the said "autodesk" or "3dsmax"

That eventually allowed me to reinstall. Of course I lost all my prefs and setting.

I'm scared to attempt the SR3 install again as that is what triggered all this. I don't know if the SR3 install simple failed or if there's a problem with it. I originally used the standalone SR installer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report