Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous, Unable to use Maya licensing errors + inferior Service Packs

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
timothyfox
456 Views, 6 Replies

Ridiculous, Unable to use Maya licensing errors + inferior Service Packs

I need to use Molecular Maya plugin for Maya, which requires Maya 2016. I didnt figure this out until after downloading Maya 2017. Upon removing all files and installing Maya 2016 I was getting the Licensing error 20. After hours of repeatedly finding every file of Maya and deleting it and reinstalling I finally was able to find out that I could prevent this error by using an updated extension.

I installed Maya 2016 Ex 2 Sp1, and it worked! But upon trying to install the molecular maya plugin I was told I needed mental ray plugin. So I tried to install mental ray, and it turns out mental ray doesn't work for Maya Ex 2. So I installed Maya 2016 Service Pack 6, and well it turns out that when you do this it goes back to the licensing error 20.

The management of the versions and service packs is ridiculous. It's impossible for me to use molecular maya because of accidentally downloading Maya 2017 first.

tl;dr

>Need Molecular Maya (mmaya) plugin

>download Maya 2017

> mmaya needs Maya 2016

>clear 2017 files, download 2016

>licensing error 20

>advised by autodesk support to use Maya 2016 Ex 2

>mmaya needs mental ray

>mental ray needs Service pack 6

>service pack 6 brings back licensing error 20

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Otto
in reply to: timothyfox

Hello timothyfox and welcome to the Autodesk community!

It looks like you are seeing License was not obtained: error 20. The following articles should help you resolve the problem:

License was not obtained: error 20

How to force re-activation of a product

I'm a software-based HelpBot, designed to provide the information you need to get up and running with Autodesk products—any time, day or night. Your feedback will help train me to deliver more accurate and helpful answers. Thanks in advance! Also, please note that I'm only set up to respond to the first post of a topic, not to any replies. Thank you!

Helpful links: Find Serial Numbers and Product Keys | Find Downloads and Service Packs | Activate Autodesk software
Message 3 of 7
timothyfox
in reply to: Otto

These steps were already taken

Message 4 of 7
natasha.l

Hello @timothyfox,

Try starting the service by locating Microsoft "Services" Management console. Locate the service called "FLEXnet licensing service" and "FLEXnet licensing service 64".

Be sure you are logged in as Administrator.

Keep us posted. 

Please "Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolved the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 5 of 7
timothyfox
in reply to: natasha.l

Hi Natasha,

I seem to have neglected to say that I'm on Mac OS El Capitan

Regardless I don't know what you mean by starting the service from the FLEXnet licensing service. The only file in the Flexnet folder is a terminal command that doesn't do anything noticeable. 

Message 6 of 7
timothyfox

Sloved

In hopes that nobody else has to go through this I'm going to outline the issues iv'e encountered and clear up some things that aren't obvious when coming across Maya for the first time.

-Maya 2016 Service Package 6 is not the newest version

-Maya 2016 Ex 2 (which sounds older) is an important update for solving licensing issues 

-Plugins are version specific, the reason my mental ray plugin was not working is because it was for Service package 6

-If someone tells you your plugin is not showing up because you need another version, check first that the version coincides with yours

I know they are simple fixes to anyone who has used Maya for sometime, but these simple misunderstandings really halted my day.

Message 7 of 7
natasha.l

Hello @timothyfox,

Thank you for contributing and providing the community with this information it will help someone with a similar issue in the future. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report