Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2016 Installation A DLL required for this installation could not be run

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
johnpatee
671 Views, 8 Replies

Revit 2016 Installation A DLL required for this installation could not be run

Similar to this thread;

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-licensing/autocad-2016-installation-error-a-dll-required...

I am trying to install Revit but it seems impossible at the moment. I tried the normal install first, no luck. Then I tried the virtual agent download, and still no luck. I disabled my antivirus software, and ran as admin, but still nothing. I checked the log file and it looks like there was some error with Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable (x86). I redownloaded and installed off Microsoft and rebooted but same issue. Here is the log file. I also tried all the steps in the above mentioned thread but they did not help. Some other things to mention are that I'm running windows 10 and I do have sufficient space to install. Thanks for your help!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: johnpatee

@johnpatee

Welcome to the community..

If you are seeing the message as indicated in the other posting you shared..  That usually indicates you don't have all the crucial Windows update.  However your log is showing its failing on installing the required Autodesk Material libraries.  So follow the steps here and then start your installation again (setup.exe) for the extracted download from Autodesk Virtual Agent.  Good luck and report back on your progress..

One more thing...  Although you were probably unaware of this, but when you post or share stuff here, please make sure it doesn't include your personal information such as your serial #. This is a world wide user forum and that type of info should not be included in your posting. Granted the installation log file helped us to determine your root cause (but it did contain your serial #)... So in the future remove or blur it out before posting. I will have the moderator remove it in order to protect your information.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 9
johnpatee
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Of course when I followed the link you provided on uninstalling the material Library, I tried to open the uninstallTool.exe program and i get yet another error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application. Quick Google search leads back to Microsoft C++ again?? I know this isn't Autodesk related, but any ideas on whats happening? Thanks

And sorry about the log file incident, I had no idea serial number information was on there, thanks for the heads up!

Message 4 of 9
Mark.Lancaster

@johnpatee

At this point..  I would recommend that you use the Microsoft Fixit (link in my signature) and remove the material libraries that way.  With Fixit you have to run it for each application that needs to be uninstalled.  Come back to the forum to see my signature and link. Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 9
Darin.Green

@johnpatee

The solution to this issue is here . Start there then update this post with your results, not the referenced post.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 6 of 9
johnpatee
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Ok, so I downloaded fixit and uninstalled 

• Autodesk Material Library Low Resolution Image Library 2016
  • Autodesk Material Library Base Resolution Image Library 2016
  • Autodesk Material Library 2016  

those were the only ones installed so i removed them with the program. I tried installing again through the virtual agent with no luck. Same error appeared. Am i Missing something? 

Message 7 of 9
johnpatee
in reply to: Darin.Green

Darren, do you want me to try to fix the uninstall tool not opening? I thought above mentioned fixit tool would remove the material library. 

Message 8 of 9
Darin.Green

@johnpatee

You need to perform a clean uninstall / reinstall. To accomplish this, use the following link.

The issue you're having could be caused by Microsoft Visual C++ or .NET Framework. That said, you may want to start there by uninstall .net framework 4.5 and above and let the Autodesk application install it for you. If that doesn't work use the link above to perform a clean uninstall / reinstall.

Good luck!

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 9 of 9
johnpatee
in reply to: Darin.Green

Finally! I have made Revit work!

Thanks to both of you guys as both of you helped me figure it out. I went to my programs window in the control panel to remove EVERYTHING related to microsoft visual and revit/autodesk. It let me delete a couple of them with no problems. But of course a majority of them were giving me error code 2013 and 2502 I think. So i used the Microsoft Fixit tool mentioned above to remove the rest of them. It was very time consuming as thier were about 15 different versions of microsoft visual and i had to delete them one by one. I also removed all autodesk programs. 

After that I retried instalation from the virtual agent and bam! it worked! 

Revit also runs surprisingly well for my potato of a computer (compared to the macs used at school). 

Thanks for all of your help, both of you! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report