Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to generate License file

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
a.mazumdar
2406 Views, 15 Replies

Not able to generate License file

Hi,

I have been trying to generate a license file but keep getting the error as per screen shot attached. I clicked on the contact 'Customer service' but then thee I put in the information and keeps saying 'start over' I did that more than 10 times since yesterday. Hope there is some help.

Thanks

Ashok

This is a public forum, please refrain from posting serial numbers or personal information

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
dgladfelter
in reply to: a.mazumdar

I'm not sure if it will produce different results, but have you tried creating your license file from the RegisterOnce site?

http://registeronce.autodesk.com

The username and password for that site will be the same as what you use for the Autodesk Account site.

Donnie Gladfelter

Sr. Manager, Technical Staff Development, Bowman

The CAD Geek Blog

Facebook |Twitter |YouTube |LinkedIn

Message 3 of 16
a.mazumdar
in reply to: dgladfelter

Thanks for the reply. We have 3 perpetual and 1 subscription based license. So wonder what should I put at the field for entering sr. number.

Thanks

Ashok Mazumdar | IT Manager
www.lightstat.com
22 W West Hill Rd | Barkhamsted, CT 06063
P: 860.738.4111 Ext: 232
[cid:image001.png@01D1577B.E82E7E10]
Message 4 of 16
Vinayv4v

Hi,

Please go through the article

goo.gl/0vCHkd

Thanks & Best Regards

Cheers,

Vinay Vijayakumaran

Message 5 of 16
dgladfelter

The perpetual and subscription combination shouldn't be an issue. That said, you may want to try generating the license files individually, and then combining into a single license file using Notepad.

Combining License Files for Multiple Autodesk Products: http://autode.sk/2mAMOoZ

Donnie Gladfelter

The CAD Geek Blog

Message 6 of 16
a.mazumdar

Thanks Donnie,

Is there a way to generate license file for 2013? One user is still using that version. I did not find 2013 while generating the file.

Thanks,

Ashok

Message 7 of 16
a.mazumdar
in reply to: Vinayv4v

Thanks Vinay,

I will check this out.

Thanks,

Ashok

Message 8 of 16
Mark.Lancaster

@a.mazumdar

Please stop sharing all of your personal information such as your serial # on a world wide user forum.  I will have the moderator remove it to protect your information.  Also I strongly suggest that you don't reply using your email system.  Your personal information such as number and email address is also being share here.  Meaning do you really want that on a public forum..  I certainly wouldn't want it..  Smiley Wink

Now a couple of things..

First you can't generate a license file for products that are retired/unsupported and out of the scope of your subscription/maintenance plan.  In addition you are technically violating your end user license agreement by continuing the use of 2013.  But there are exceptions to this..

• You purchased this perpetual license and not got a maintenance plan for it.
  • You got an exception from Autodesk to continue the use of this version for a certain period of time.

Unless the above is true, you are in a non-complaint state and you can be fined by Autodesk for that.  Even if you had a perpetual license of 2013 on a maintenance plan and elected not to continue with it.  You are only entitled to use the version that was released at the time when you canceled your maintenance plan.  So before red flags are raised at the Autodesk end you need to get your organization compliant in order to avoid an Audit.  Remember Autodesk does monitor these forums..  Smiley Wink

Next thing..  Generating a license file from Autodesk Register once will generate multiple license.  You will need to combine them in the end.  Finally I will provide all the ways to generate a license file.

To generate a license file (pick one)

1.  The contract manager or software coordinator for you subscription can log into their Autodesk Account and select Generate License file link  (Granted this didn't work for you)

2.  Go to the Autodesk Register Once Web site and follow the prompts.  With Register Once you have to repeat the process for each network serial # that you have and then combine the license file at the end. 

3.  Contact your reseller and they will do it for you.

4.  Contact Autodesk here and they will do it as well.

In all cases you will need the name and MAC address of the machine that is hosting the license file.   One final thing, you must update your license manager to version 11.13.1.2 (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/network-license-administration/get-ready-network-lic...)

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 16
a.mazumdar
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Mark,

While the phone info etc. point is well taken, but I don't know from where you got impression we are not on maintenance. All licenses whether subscription based or perpetual are under maintenance. We had this conversation with the vendor and further corroborated by Autodesk that as long as we keep those perpetual licenses in maintenance we should have any issue using the older version. I will check with them again based upon your input.
Thanks for your taking the time.
Message 10 of 16
a.mazumdar

Mark,

While your point for contact info/phone numbers etc is well taken, but I don't know how you came to determine our perpetual licenses are not in maintenance. We had this cleared up with the vendor and further corroborated by Autodesk sales, that as long as we stay on maintenance we should be able to use older version. I have to take this up again, based upon your input.

Thanks for your time.

Message 11 of 16
dgladfelter

One of the benefits of subscribing to Autodesk software (either perpetual or the new business model) is the ability to use previous versions. This benefit (under either model) allows you to use the current version plus the last three versions provided you maintain your subscription. Currently that benefit allows current subscribers to use 2014-2017.

Some things to note about perpetual licenses is you are only entitled to run previous versions for as long as you have an active subscription. Should you let your subscription lapse, you're only permitted to run the last version you purchased (aka whatever the current version was when your subscription expired).

Without getting authorization from Autodesk, the only way to get a license file for 2013 would be if that's the last version you purchased. Since it seems you have 2017, that doesn't seem to be the case. Based on that, the only way to legally run 2013 at this point is with an authorization acquired from Autodesk. If that's something you need, your reseller can help you navigate the process of getting that.

Donnie Gladfelter

The CAD Geek Blog

Message 12 of 16
Mark.Lancaster

@a.mazumdar

"but I don't know how you came to determine our perpetual licenses are not in maintenance. We had this cleared up with the vendor and further corroborated by Autodesk sales, that as long as we stay on maintenance we should be able to use older version"

I never said you were or were not on maintenance.    I was just passing along info to you..

"long as we stay on maintenance we should be able to use older version"  Although this is true.  But a perpetual license on a maintenance plan or a term based license is only good for current release and 3 legacy version.  With 2017 out, you are only entitled to use 2014 to 2017.   2013 falls off the radar and in the coming months 2014 will drop off too.    So you are not entitled to use any legacy version past the 3 legacy mark.  Smiley Wink

In the end I just don't want you to get audited and be fined..  Its not pretty..

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 13 of 16
a.mazumdar

Thanks again. Well I did try but somehow getting a few hiccups here and there. I did get all the possible files then combined them and when creating the service getting error "Service has been created but failed to update the DACL settings for FlexNet........." After a KBs on line I used just one single file but still the same error. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Message 14 of 16
a.mazumdar

Hi Donnie,

Actually I did talk to the user, and tried to articulate the issues with still using 2013. He has agreed to upgrade to a newer version. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks

Ashok

Message 15 of 16
Mark.Lancaster

@a.mazumdar

Ignore the message.  Save the service again and start the license service.

Mark Lancaster

Message 16 of 16
a.mazumdar

Hi,

Thanks for all the options provided. I still have to get a new license file with all the sr #s and versions, but I did learn a lot from your posts as well as others.

I am doing another post for an error getting installing a client but not finding the license server.

Thanks to all.

Ashok

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report