Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 Student - Installation Failed on Exit

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
cmtrant
3840 Views, 24 Replies

Maya 2017 Student - Installation Failed on Exit

Hey All,

I've tried for the last few days to install my student edition of Maya 2017, and have had zero luck.
(I would prefer to install 2017, but, for the record, I have also had zero luck, and the same error, while attempting to also install 2014, 2015, & 2016...)
I have attached a screen shot of the installation failure to this post. 

The installer says that the "Installation Failed on Exit."

Things I have tried that have resulted in zero success:
--- Installing with my firewall and antivirus software disabled.
--- Installing via the download link through Autodesk's Virtual Agent.
--- Creating a new system administrator (user) and installing under that.
--- Installing under my system's root user. 
I have even tried using a third party software to install the .dmg 

My system has more than enough space, and my Mac is running on OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan).
I'm at a complete, and frustrated, loss. If anyone can help, please, please, please.
I'm literally begging.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Otto
in reply to: cmtrant

Hello cmtrant and welcome to the Autodesk community!

It looks like you are experiencing issues with your product on Mac OS X: El Capitan or want to know which Autodesk products are supported on El Capitan. Community members with similar questions found the following article(s) useful:

Certification for Mac El Capitan is underway. However, it is currently not supported.

Mac OS X v10.11.x (El Capitan) compatibility with AutoCAD for Mac and AutoCAD LT for Mac

AutoCAD Compatibility with OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Please consider bookmarking this page and checking back often; we'll update with new information as our testing continues.

If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" link, below. Taking a moment to do this will help others with similar questions find useful answers. Thank you!

Kudos (click on the link or the "thumbs-up!" icon), are also gratefully received! (Even a bot likes praise.)

If this answer missed the mark, please let us know so that other community members can lend a hand. Any additional details might help, too: consider including relevant screenshots, log files, error messages, or system specs.

I'm a software-based HelpBot, designed to provide the information you need to get up and running with Autodesk products—any time, day or night. Your feedback will help train me to deliver more accurate and helpful answers. Thanks in advance! Also, please note that I'm only set up to respond to the first post of a topic, not to any replies. Thank you!

Helpful links: Find Serial Numbers and Product Keys | Find Downloads and Service Packs | Activate Autodesk software
Message 3 of 25
natasha.l

Hello @cmtrant,

Please click the link  here  to send me a direct message.

Using the Console on Mac OS X El Capitan v10.11 and earlier to Generate a Log File 

Launch the Console application (from the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder). It should open to All Messages, showing the log entries for everything that’s happened recently on your Mac. If you’ve previously narrowed the Console results, show the Log List and select All Messages before proceeding.

Switch back Omni app, and try to trigger the issue. This will (hopefully!) print some output to the Console.

Return to Console and from the Menu Bar choose File ▸ Save A Copy As and attach the file to your response so we can investigate further!

Thank you. 

Message 4 of 25
xd520.pooh

I came across the same problem... Have u solved the problem? it's on Mac OS Sierra.

Message 5 of 25
jtkleine11
in reply to: natasha.l

Hello,

I have a similar problem. I give a little background information, I hope not too much.

I was trying to solve an unrelated problem with different software (Avid Media Composer). During that process I deleted stuff from /Library/ folder and maybe I broke something. After solving my Avid issues I noticed that Mudbox (2017 SF1) crashes on start. I tried do a manual clean uninstall for Mudbox (I did this earlier successfully, when SF1 update broke everything for me). When I reinstalled I got the error "Istaller failed on exit". I removed all traces of Autodesk software (Smoke 2017, Maya 2016 Ext2, Matchmover and Mudbox) from my computer and tried to reinstall everything. All installers give me the same error.

To be precise, the installer installs every package successfully, it only fails in the final stages of the installation. I have tired to install every package separately and they install without problems. I downloaded the updated AdSSO.pkg and installed that also successfully, which didn't help. I installed the whole Mac OS X again (over my current system) and that didn't help.

After the failed installation, if I try to run the freshly installed software (e.g. Maya 2016.5), it runs once and let's me activate. On all starts after the first the software crashes. The problem seems to be related in the license. I also tried with the trial option after one installation, the behavior is the same.

The mac console gives me this (the same messages during every installation attempt):

13.3.2017 0.37.02,442 ReportCrash[5362]: Invoking spindump for pid=5328 wakeups_rate=1001 duration=45 because of excessive wakeups
13.3.2017 0.37.05,140 nsurlstoraged[4009]: realpath() returned NULL for /var/root/Library/Caches/installer
13.3.2017 0.37.05,140 nsurlstoraged[4009]: The read-connection to the DB=/var/root/Library/Caches/installer/Cache.db is NOT valid.  Unable to determine schema version.
13.3.2017 0.37.05,140 nsurlstoraged[4009]: realpath() returned NULL for /var/root/Library/Caches/installer
13.3.2017 0.37.05,141 nsurlstoraged[4009]: realpath() returned NULL for /var/root/Library/Caches/installer
13.3.2017 0.37.05,141 nsurlstoraged[4009]: ERROR: unable to determine file-system usage for FS-backed cache at /var/root/Library/Caches/installer/fsCachedData. Errno=13

I'm running Mac OS X 10.10.5, which I reinstalled form an up to date installer. I have been successfully installing and using these same versions of Autodesk software on this computer until now. There is nothing new in my setup (except the Avid Media Composer software). I'm using all other installed software -- excluding Autodesk software -- with no problems.

Something curious: there is no adlmreg anywhere in my path -- I never removed it. There was one before. There are adlmreg2013 and adlmreg2015 in /usr/bin/ though. Even stranger, I copied adlmreg from the installer into /usr/bin/ and was able to run it. After a while, it had disappeared again -- all by itself.

Cheers,

--

Jouko-Thomas Kleine

Message 6 of 25
jtkleine11
in reply to: jtkleine11

I attach a screen capture from an installer plist -file on regards to my previous post. I don't suppose it brings any vital new information, but anyway, just to be on the safe side.

--

Jouko-Thomas

Message 7 of 25
mylale96
in reply to: xd520.pooh

I have exactly same problem.

Message 8 of 25
jtkleine11
in reply to: mylale96

I have not managed to resolve it yet. I've taken the step to install a fresh system (from a 10.10.5 installer + current updates via Apple App store), but the problem still persists. There are a couple of things I'm going to try before my next effort.

– I still had my old home directories mounted under "/Users". For testing, I'm going now with freshly creates users only.

– I did install the other software I use before I tried the Autodesk installers. I will skip that and install Autodesk applications only.

On a separate (unmounted) volume I still have the system where the problem manifested originally. I am happy to boot that and give any solutions a try, if somebody has any suggestions. It would be great to understand what is going on. I would much rather repair my system instead of wiping it clean. I have a bunch of stuff I use and it's a pain to set it all up — not to mention all the deactivations and activations included. I'm pretty happy I didn't have any Nuke licenses installed. Reactivating those is really not very nice.

Message 9 of 25
natasha.l

Hello @jtkleine11,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please review this information in this article regarding a known issue with Mac installs: MAC user install error AdSSO.pkg 

Let us know how it goes. Smiley Happy 

Message 10 of 25
jtkleine11
in reply to: natasha.l

Well, I'm a very happy guy now. The AdSSO-module was the culprit. I have Maya (2016 ext2 sp2) up and running now plus some other Autodesk stuff (Mudbox and Smoke, both 2017). I did try the fixed AdSSO earlier also, but that was not on a freshly installed system so maybe I had some other problems as well. Now I have a clean install of macOS 10.10.5 and only Maya and other Autodesk stuff on top of that.

To be on the safe side, I modified the installer applications by replacing the AdSSO package with the fixed version. After that, the installer run to the end without errors. After installation Maya etc. started, activated, restarted and I've been working now for a while without errors.

So, thanks a lot Natasha, this definitely is the solution. I would certainly "Accept As Solution", but can't find a way to do that. Is it because I'm not the OP, or am I just blind?

Cheers,

--

Jouko-Thomas

Message 11 of 25
robcoupe

Hello, I am having the same issue. I've tried the previous solutions with no luck. Still receiving the same Failed on Exit message, software could not be installed. I have read all the requirements and have what is required. Any help will be appreciated. If more info is needed please ask and I will provide. - Rob

Message 12 of 25
jtkleine11
in reply to: robcoupe

Hi Rob,

Just out of curiosity, which exact OS version are running?

Cheers,

--

Jouko-Thomas

Message 13 of 25
robcoupe

Yes, I guess that would help. I am running Mac OS 10.12

Message 14 of 25
jtkleine11

Which version of Maya? 2017 something?

--

Jouko-Thomas

Message 15 of 25
robcoupe

Yes, Maya 2017. Haven't tried the previous version.

Message 16 of 25
jtkleine11

Did you try to use the fixed AdSSO package? If you have an up to date system I think it's likely that you need it. For Maya 2017 you'll have to use the AdSSO-V2.pkg installer. I did actually modify my Maya installer application by replacing the old AdSSO — that allowed me run the installer without errors. But that should not be needed. All you need to do is first run the new AdSSO-V2.pkg and the Maya installer after that. When the installer gives you errors, just click through them and let it finish. After that Maya should start O.K. and let you activate the license. Just follow Natasha's link above and you find everything you need.

If that doesn't help, you might need to do a clean manual uninstall first. That will trash all your Autodesk applications and you have to install everything anew — so maybe that's a last resort solution and not advisable unless you have some extra time in your hands. There's a link in the bottom of Natasha's post for that also.

I'll try to answer more questions if I can help some way — I had a pretty involved experience myself and can imagine you might feel a little frustrated. But I'm writing from Finland and it's very late so I hope somebody else might be able to help a little sooner than I can.

--

Jouko-Thomas

Message 17 of 25
robcoupe

Thanks for the help. I did try running the updated AdSSO-v2.pkg first with no luck. How did you "modify" your installer? even though I can see the installers package contents, I can't alter them. I'll try the manual install tomorrow. Thanks,

Message 18 of 25
jtkleine11

You can't alter the installer, because it's on a read only disk image. If you copy the installer application somewhere on you hard disk where you have write access (e.g. Downloads folder), you can delete and add files inside it as much as you like. Just run the installer from it's new location when you are finished, no need to create a new disk image.

In my case, there were other problems on my OS setup as well, so the AdSSO fix didn't help when I tried it the first time. But after repairing everything else, I still needed the new AdSSO before I got any Autodesk software working again.

--

Jouko-Thomas

Message 19 of 25
robcoupe

Jouko-Thomas, Thank you so much for your help. Your instructions worked! it is up and running just in time for tonights homework! Thanks for your suggestion. - Rob

Message 20 of 25
jtkleine11

Well, that's good news! Great to hear you got that sorted out. At some point I always start to feel that these problems are more akin to magic than any rationality — but when you work methodically enough and get to the bottom of the mess you are in, stuff finally sorts itself out and starts to work as it should once again.

--

Jouko-Thomas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report