Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2013 won't start (OSX)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Ashground
3338 Views, 6 Replies

Maya 2013 won't start (OSX)

I installed the Maya 2013 trial 10.7.5, but no matter what I do, I can't get it to start.

When I run it, the icon bounces on the dock for a minute, then it comes to a rest. No splash screen, no GUI, nothing happens other than the appearance of the icon. When I right-click on it, it tell me the program is unresponsive, and I can Force Quit it.

I've had 2012 installed, and that still runs fine.

Also, "maya -batch" does give me a prompt (and I've confirmed that it's 2013's prompt).

Here's what I've tried in terms of troubleshooting:

* Rebooting
* Repairing disk permissions
* Reinstalling on top of the current installation
* Deleting 2013 and reinstalling
* Deleting 2013, 2012, and every possible reference to "autodesk" and "maya" on the whole machine and reinstalling
* Deleting everything again, but using the 2013 SP2 installer.

No matter what I do, the result is always exactly the same. I feel like the only thing I haven't tried is actually formatting the computer, but I really, really don't want to go that far. Does anyone have any insight into what could be wrong?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
warnold1
in reply to: Ashground

Is the any output in the system console ?

When you run from a Terminal window
/Applications/Autodesk/maya2013/Maya.app/Contents/MacOS/Maya

What is output to the terminal window

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 3 of 7
Ashground
in reply to: warnold1

There's no output to Terminal.

This is what I get in the system console:

13-03-08 2:05:41.972 PM LMU: 5585 DAEMONIZE: setting umask 0
13-03-08 2:05:41.973 PM LMU: 5585 DAEMONIZE: session parent exiting
13-03-08 2:05:41.973 PM LMU: exiting and supressing hooks: 0
13-03-08 2:05:41.974 PM LMU: 5586 DAEMONIZE: session new session leader
13-03-08 2:05:41.975 PM LMU: 5586 DAEMONIZE: tty disconnect parent exiting
13-03-08 2:05:41.978 PM LMU: 5587 DAEMONIZE: tty disconnect child
13-03-08 2:05:41.979 PM LMU: 5587 DAEMONIZE: closing file descriptors
13-03-08 2:05:41.979 PM LMU: 5587 Execing /Applications/Autodesk/Adlm/R5/LMU.app/Contents/MacOS/lmuopen
13-03-08 2:05:41.979 PM LMU: 5587 with argument: lmuopen
13-03-08 2:05:41.979 PM LMU: 5587 with argument: /Applications/Autodesk/Adlm/R5/LMU.app/Contents/MacOS/LMU
13-03-08 2:05:42.072 PM lmuopen: Launching: /Applications/Autodesk/Adlm/R5/LMU.app/Contents/MacOS/LMU

After that, nothing.
Message 4 of 7
Ashground

Does anyone have any insight? I'm trying to decide whether or not to format my computer today. Obviously I'd rather not, but I'm running out of options.
Message 5 of 7
Ashground

The quest continues.

I paid for the OSX upgrade to 10.8.2. Maya still doesn't load.

I tried making another user account and tried to load Maya there. Still nothing.
Message 6 of 7
Ashground

Well, time has come. I'm formatting my computer and reinstalling everything. Probably the most drastic thing I've ever had to do in response to a program not loading 😛
Message 7 of 7
Ashground

For the benefit of future generations, my continued tale...

After doing a Time Machine backup, I formatted my computer and installed 10.8. Then, I installed Maya 2013.

SUCCESS.

It loaded! It works! It's alive! Now, all I needed to do was bring back my old applications from the backup. Only, I became an atheist a while back, so God hates me. Time Machine didn't work. No matter what I did, it kept telling me that it couldn't connect. And I had work to do--I couldn't afford to waste a day reinstalling and reconfiguring everything.

So, I ended up doing a full Time Machine restore, back to square one. I'd have to look into it later. After the restore, just out of curiousity, I tried running Maya after the restore. And something happened. I got an error message.

License was not obtained
Tried Maya 2013 (657E1 2013.0.0.F), error 20

PROGRESS! So, it was indeed a license problem. I have no idea why I'm getting an error now and not before, but I try not to worry about it.

Even through I never successfully activated a license in the first place, obviously there's some latent license floating around in the ether. I did some searching and nuked everything that could be remotely related to Maya's licensing (mostly killing anything with the word 'FLEXnet'). The Maya install guide also points out a few commands to type, but no matter what I did, they kept returning "Invalid number of arguments". So it goes.

Finally, I nuke Maya again, reinstalled, and... partial success!

Now I get a screen that says "Your Autodesk Maya 2013 License Needs Activation". Cool! I was only installing the trial, so in theory I should just have to click 'Activate', and...

Well, no. Now it's asking for a serial. Which makes me wonder it I possibly wasted away the trial period trying to get it installed. So I click cancel, and...

License was not obtained
Tried Maya 2013 (657E1 2013.0.0.F), error 19

I'm assuming that's appearing because I cancelled, and not because there's still some lingering problem in the background. Regardless, notice that it's error 19 instead of 20? I'm hoping that if I do this all over again--backup, format, restore, delete, install--it will continue to do down. Next time, it'll be error 18. Then 17. And then, when it gets to zero, Maya will run. Or maybe I'll win some sort of prize. Who knows? I'm giddy with anticipation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report