Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licence Utilisation

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jeremy.vessey
268 Views, 2 Replies

Licence Utilisation

Hi

Question about how to best use the licences.

As an example a licence file has 10 x AutoCAD licences and 1 BDSU licence within it.  11 people open up AutoCAD therefore all licences are in use including the BDSU as it will have been cascaded into.  Now if all 10 AutoCAD users that used the lowest cost AutoCAD licences close down AutoCAD there are now 10 AutoCAD licences available but the BDSU licence is still in use.  In this situation if a user of 3DS Max was to try and open the software it would fail as no licence is avaialble. 

I realise that the user of the BDSU licence can close down and open back up to get a low cost AutoCAD licence but wondered if this is the only solution.  I'm pretty sure I know it is but just wondered if AutoCAD or LM Tools in the future would periodically check the usage and drop the licence down to a low cost AutoCAD if available.  I wouldnt really want to use an options file to exclude as if the licence is available to use for plain AutoCAD it should be used.  Also in a large organistaion constantly checking LM Tools to see who has licences can be a bit of an overhead.

Any other ideas ?

Regards

Jeremy

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: jeremy.vessey

No.  LMTOOLS will not do this.  However, you might be able to save the BDS license using an adskflex.opt Options file. 

For eveything you could possibly want to know about the adskflex.opt Options file for FlexLM, please see my KB article here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Managing-the-adskflex-opt-Options-File/td-p/307...

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 3
jeremy.vessey
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks Travis

I thought as much, its a shame as if you start excluding users from suite licences it stops them from cascading up into it when needed, its the holding of the suite licences that needs sorting out.  I'm sure it wouldnt be difficult for LM Tools to re-evvaluate the licences periodically and adjust accordingly.

Regards

Jeremy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report