Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Revit Live free to educators and students?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
sungjoon.suk
4396 Views, 24 Replies

Is Revit Live free to educators and students?

Is Revit Live free to educators and students? If yes, where can I download it? I just found the link for the 30-day trial version, not for the free education version. Thanks.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
DarrenP
in reply to: sungjoon.suk

if it doesn't show up on the student community then it is not available to students

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 25
nicolas.fonta
in reply to: DarrenP

Hi.

It is true that Live is not available as a free EDU license. Among other things, this is related to the fact that Live being a cloud service, its usage incurs direct costs on Autodesk. That being said, we are in the process of analyzing the cost impacts with a pilot. Nothing has been confirmed yet, but we are hoping that we can eventually offer an EDU license.

I hope this helps.

Nic

Nicolas Fonta

Director Product Management
Message 4 of 25
fbosche
in reply to: nicolas.fonta

I really don't understand why Showcase wasn't maintained until this was sorted out.

At the university, Showcase was fantastic for its of use, and enabled the Construction students to explore different ways to present a project. There is no logic in teaching Construction students to use 3ds max; and so Construction students are left with no alternatives.

I honestly don't want to complain too much; it's great to have the Suites free of charge for teaching. Nonetheless, the fact that it is free is a maketing decision; and not having a simple visualisation solution for making decent videos easily is, in my view, a bad marketing decision.

Message 5 of 25
nicolas.fonta
in reply to: fbosche

Hi Frederic.

I understand your position and why this is disappointing or frustrating, at least at the moment.

I cannot really speak to why and how Showcase is getting maintained or not, but in the context where Revit Live can be an alternative to Showcase, I want to reassure you that we are looking as a company at how to better package our products and Revit Live in this specific case so that more products can be made available to more people and especially made available to students.

Regards,

Nic

Nicolas Fonta

Message 6 of 25
ecarlsonart

We have an HTC Vive set up at our school and I use it to do walk-throughs with the kids' architectural designs. Currently, I am learning and teaching Revit because Iris VR with Prospect allows them to walk through their designs for free.  Whatever program first allows them to edit their designs within the VR experience for free or a smaller one-time fee (we cannot afford monthly costs) is the one we will probably use in the classroom. I definitely hope it is Autodesk, because I love your products and deeply appreciate the fact that you recognize the benefits of allowing free student licenses.

Message 7 of 25
nicolas.fonta
in reply to: ecarlsonart

Hi.

I understand and we are looking at the best way to make Revit Live available as an EDU offering.

In the mean time, note that though it is not as simple as a solution as Revit Live, but way more powerful, an alternative could be to use Stingray, our interactive engine. Revit Live is actually built on this interactive engine and we are working some full compatibility between Revit Live and this engine.

Also note that now Stingray is offered as part of 3ds Max as what we call "3ds Max Interactive". It therefore means that you have full interactive capabilities (including VR and all platforms supported) as part of 3ds Max now.

You don't have to use standard 3ds Max to benefit from 3ds Max Interactive, but if you want to get access to the full power of 3ds Max, there is better and better interop workflows between all these tools coming.

Regards,

Nic

Nicolas Fonta

Message 8 of 25
ecarlsonart

Oh, great to know!!  Thank you for being so good at responding to these messages also.  This helps a great deal.

Message 9 of 25
nicolas.fonta

Sure! That's why we have these up. Thank you for contributing.

Nic

Nicolas Fonta

Message 10 of 25
Michi-Ken

where do we go to see the cost fees of using Live?-

ps

found it $250 per year

Message 11 of 25
nicolas.fonta
in reply to: Michi-Ken

Hi.

You can see the differrent subscription options by clicking on the "subscribe" button from our main product page.

From there, you will be taken to the page with the price options depending on your geo.

Regards,

Nic

Nicolas Fonta

Message 12 of 25
porteramy
in reply to: sungjoon.suk

Is the fee per computer or can a district get it for $250
Message 13 of 25
nicolas.fonta
in reply to: porteramy

Hi,

The offering functions per named user, so for an Autodesk account.

Regards,

Nic

Nicolas Fonta

Message 14 of 25
ecarlsonart

Ok, so I exported my Revit file as an FBX and imported it into Stingray.  Is this the right way to go about this or should I also be using 3DS Max?  I am having some trouble getting it to display through my HTC Vive.

Message 15 of 25
David.Menard

Hi ecarlsonart,

If your goal is to view your Revit model in VR, the easiest way to get there is through Live. After installing Live, you press the "Go Live" button in Revit (in the Views or Addons tab, depending on your version). Once your model is processed, you can Open it in Live directly - No need to go through an FBX export, 3dsMax or Stingray. In Live, you will find the VR button in the bottom-right corner.

The reason you would want to use Stingray/3dsMax/3dsMax Interactive is if you want to customize or enhance the experience that Live offers out-of-the box.

If you want more information on this, I suggest your start another thread, since this is unrelated to the original topic, and we can continue the conversation there!

David

Message 16 of 25

Hello, has there been any update to the status of making this available to students free or at a reduced monthly cost? Can the 30 day trial be extended? Thanks

Message 17 of 25

Hi,

No, there hasn't been any development on the EDU front yet unfortunately. Note though that we have done a reset of the trial when we shipped 2.0 out in early December, which means users who had tried Revit Live prior to the release of 2.0 should be able to start a new 30 day trial.

Regards,

Nic

Nicolas Fonta

Message 18 of 25
jbrown68

Is there not a PC side solution from Revit to VR type format for the Oculus? Even if it took all day to render/prep the scene I would not mind. Or is there a new render each time you use Teleport to a new location? Just trying to get a sense as to why we have to use a cloud render to just end up with a file we have to host on the computer locally?

Got everything working for the first time going from Revit to VR. the Students were very excited and could see things which they were not able to on a 2D screen.

The real annoyance is when selecting  " A Student or Teacher" during the choice of "I will being using this software as:" you see this the attached image. Then when you go to educational community it is no where to be found. Revit GoLive.PNG

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: jbrown68

Hello,

I have had the same problem. The page indicates there is a way to have Revit Live for free if I am a student - which I am -, but I cannot find a way to download it rather than using the trial version.

Looking forward to your reply.

Shani Stein

@jbrown68 wrote:

Is there not a PC side solution from Revit to VR type format for the Oculus? Even if it took all day to render/prep the scene I would not mind. Or is there a new render each time you use Teleport to a new location? Just trying to get a sense as to why we have to use a cloud render to just end up with a file we have to host on the computer locally?

Got everything working for the first time going from Revit to VR. the Students were very excited and could see things which they were not able to on a 2D screen.

The real annoyance is when selecting  " A Student or Teacher" during the choice of "I will being using this software as:" you see this the attached image. Then when you go to educational community it is no where to be found. Revit GoLive.PNG

Message 20 of 25
nicolas.fonta
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi all,

Following on the topic of offering Autodesk Revit Live to education customers, we had communicated previously on this thread that an EDU pilot was ongoing. This pilot, with select educational institutions to explore the use and applicability of Revit Live in an Education environment, has now ended. Per the data results collected, it has been decided that at this time no extensions to existing licenses, or new licenses for Revit Live will be granted to education customers. Note that the standard 30 day trial is still available.

Thank you for your understanding,

Nic

Nicolas Fonta

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report