Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use one Autodesk account for multiple Windows account?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
edwin.prakoso
18699 Views, 7 Replies

Is it possible to use one Autodesk account for multiple Windows account?

We have a case in our customer with subscriptions, they have computers that are used for two shifts. So the computers are used by two different users, each with their own Windows login.

In the morning, user A login to Windows and use the computer, use AutoCAD with her account.

In the afternoon user B login to Windows and use the computer. Can he use AutoCAD with user A's Autodesk account?

I am asking if this is possible technically and if it's legal. Subscriptions are linked to the username, not the computer. If they make one generic login (example: drafter1, drafter2, etc), is it legal if the software is used by multiple users?

Can anyone show me a documentation about this?

Thank you very much!

If this post solves your problem, please mark it as solved. It will help others with a similar problem to find a solution.

Kind regards,

Edwin Prakoso
LinkedIn | Website | Twitter
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

@edwin.prakoso

A single Autodesk Account can be used to sign into 3 separate computers at a given time performing different functions.   However only a single Autodesk Account can be used to authorize a given Autodesk Application at a given time.

In the end if these 2 users are not overlapping in schedule, then yes you could have a single Autodesk Account to do this.

But if User A doesn't sign out under their Autodesk Account/Application and User B logs in using their Windows Account on the same machine and signs in to use the Autodesk Application then you would violate the agreement.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 8
Darin.Green
in reply to: edwin.prakoso

@edwin.prakoso

Technically, that would never happen in the commercial industry as users are assigned workstations. The only scenario I can see this happening is with schools.

It doesn't matter who logs onto the machine, if they are assigned a license then they can use it without violating the licensing agreement. Why? Because the logged in user needs to sign into the software to use it and their Autodesk account information is stored under their windows user profile.

Now, I wouldn't recommend having a centralized machine where people remote into ( Excluding Citrix environments ) because that could cause other issues which may violate the licensing agreement.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 4 of 8
edwin.prakoso
in reply to: Darin.Green

Thank you @Mark.Lancaster and @Darin.Green,

I also found this KB: Subscription Setup FAQ

It says:

A Named User is an individual assigned to use a subscription. Users are granted access to subscription software, services, and benefits by an account administrator, such as a Contract Manager/Software Coordinator or a Primary/Secondary Admin (the type of admin varies depending on when the products were purchased) based on their Autodesk ID, which is associated with the individual's email address. Named users cannot share their Autodesk ID with another individual, and must be an employee or on-site contractor. Consult the Autodesk Terms and Conditions for more information.

I guess that highlights my question.

If this post solves your problem, please mark it as solved. It will help others with a similar problem to find a solution.

Kind regards,

Edwin Prakoso
LinkedIn | Website | Twitter
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

There is a provision in the EULA  that allows for approval to be requested for a generic login. We have a very similar case where 2 users will not be using the product at the same time, and we are curious as to how we would get permission to use a "generic login"?

https://www.autodesk.com/company/terms-of-use/en/subscription-types

If Your subscription for single-user Offering authorizes a “Generic Login,” then Your generic login and associated rights to the subscription Offering may only be used by one (1) individual Authorized User at a time and may not be shared and/or used by any other individual simultaneously.

https://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks/autodesk-terms-and-conditions/eng_autodesk...

“Named User” is You or an individual Personnel authorized by You ,in accordance with Autodesk instructions specific to Your Subscription for single-user, to Install and Access  Benefits.  Unless otherwise authorised by Autodesk in writing, each Named User must (i) be identified by a unique user id (“Autodesk ID”) and (ii) be individuals, not groups or generic Log-Ons.

2.4.3  If Your Subscription for single-user offering authorizes generic Log-Ons, the provisions of sections 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 shall not apply to Your Subscription for single-user. The generic Log-On must be used to Install and/or Access Benefits. Further, Your generic Log-On and associated rights and Benefits may only be used by one individual at a time, and may not be shared and/or used by any other individual simultaneously.

I'm curious if anyone from Autocad can chime in and let us know under what scenarios Autocad would authorize a generic user exclusion to the named user model.

Message 6 of 8
natasha.l

Hello @edwin.prakoso

Thank you for posting to the community. Smiley Happy

You can review the EULA file within the installation media files  C:\Autodesk\AutoCAD_2019_English_Win_64bit_dlm\EULA  to find specific information regarding the terms for that specific product & license. 

Our documentation for subscription licensing states that for every seat there should only be one assigned/single-user. Meaning 1 seat=1 named user, so regardless of the email address only 1 user should be using that 1 seat.

The same terms apply for a multi-user subscription license you can install on several devices & the number of seats are the number of assigned users, only the named users should have access to their license seat.  

Please review the information below: 

Maximum number of computers permitted for a subscription with single-user access

Rules for assigning named users on Desktop Subscription

Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Please "Accept Solution" if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 7 of 8
vlad85dog
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Hi Can I ask what is meant by "Different functions". If someone has a one seat bundle and is signed in on two different computers but one is using Inventor and the other say 3ds max design is that ok? As both will be working on jobs at the same time but the same named user will be signed in.
Thank you
Regards
James
Message 8 of 8
Darin.Green
in reply to: vlad85dog

@vlad85dog wrote:
Hi Can I ask what is meant by "Different functions". If someone has a one seat bundle and is signed in on two different computers but one is using Inventor and the other say 3ds max design is that ok? As both will be working on jobs at the same time but the same named user will be signed in.
Thank you
Regards
James

No, this is not OK.  A Single User license is tied to one person, you cannot have multiple people logged in with the same Autodesk account and use the software (regardless of the application used).  That's in direct violation of the l Terms of Use.

You can only use the software on one machine at a time (regardless of the product used).  Every launch of the software is captured and recorded by Autodesk.  Therefore, any attempts of using the same Autodesk Account on multiple machines simultaneously will result in your company being audited.  Almost guaranteed...

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report