Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install and application launch issues - AutoCAD LT 2017 and AutoCAD 2017

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
troy.robinson
392 Views, 9 Replies

Install and application launch issues - AutoCAD LT 2017 and AutoCAD 2017

Hi,

- we are preparing to roll out AutoCAD LT 2017 and AutoCAD 2017 out to our users.

- I have been testing the install on our lab workstations.

- I used an Admin Account to install AutoCAD LT 2017 onto the desktop.
- the install ran fine.
- I could then launch the AutoCAD LT 2017 product, and it seems to operate and work fine.

- if I then restarted the machine, and logged in as a regular user, and launched AutoCAD LT 2017, I get a generic error popup window, saying that AutoCAD LT 2017 has stopped working, and giving me option to Close the Program.

- I can't seem to get past this.

- even if I give this regular user account Admin Rights, and try to launch, I will still get this error.
- if I log back in using the original Admin Account, that was used to run the Install, it will launch and run fine.

- Any advice/help/suggestions ?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
natasha.l
in reply to: troy.robinson

Hello @troy.robinson,

Welcome back.Smiley Happy It seems like a Windows User permissions issue, users must have Full Control permissions (Administrator) to all files and folders in the C:\Users\USERNAME% directory and registry keys (HKEY_CURRENT_USER & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) 

Article explains what users need access to: Restricted user

It's recommend that you backup or store the downloaded archives. Then copy the "media" to a backup location or a network share folder users have full control permissions too. 

Keep us updated. Thank you.  

Message 3 of 10
troy.robinson
in reply to: natasha.l

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I will have to review that article more closely, but most items in the article refer to removing that restriction, rebooting and trying again.

As a test, I gave our regular user account Admin Rights, rebooted the machine, and tried again.  This should work.  But I get the exact same error.

The only way the application will launch is to log in using the admin account that I had used to do the installation.  It will then launch and run fine.

Message 4 of 10
natasha.l

Hello @troy.robinson,

You may have to adjust the register keys mentioned in the article or create a new user account. Let me know how it goes. 

Message 5 of 10
troy.robinson
in reply to: natasha.l

Hi,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I have tried everything .. I believe.

But, I still get the same error.

Notes : 

• We don’t use Roaming Profiles.
  • I have asked our Operations group about Folder Direction in any of our policies.  I have not heard back from them yet …. But I am highly doubting that we do, or that is a concern.
  • I have tried adding the Full permissions to those folders and Registry entries.  That doesn’t help.
  • I have given the other 'regular' lab account admin rights as well,  before launching, and still get same error.
  • This issue is occurring not only for AutoDesk LT 2017, but also for our testing/certification of Building Design Suite 2017.
  • We currently have several users running AutoDesk LT 2014 and AutoCAD 2014, with no issues.  They were pushed to users three years ago, and nobody recalls any of these issues at that time.  Our Operations group believes that none of our account/folder/permission/etc. policies have changed since then.
  • note that whatever account I used to install AutoCAD (which needs admin rights for the install), if I log in using that account, the application will launch and run fine.   So, to me that eliminates any graphics card or hardware issues.  The app runs fine with that account.
  • If I then log in with "any"  'regular' account, even with Full Permissions to the 6 folders, and the 2 registry entries, (and even with temp Admin Rights to this other 'regular' account),  we will get that same error.  This occurs with any other account, on any of the two lab desktops we are trying to test/certify on.
  • it only seems to work if you log in using the account that was used to do the Install.
  • another interesting point : 
    • Today, I re-installed the app, using Admin Account A lets say.
    • I then used regular Lab account, Account B lets say, to log in … and I get the error again ….. (even if I give it Admin Rights and even with Full permissions to the 6 folders and 2 Registry entries).
    • If I were no to uninstall the application ……. And then Install it using a different account, Account C ….. ( I would have to at least give this Account C temporary admin rights to do the Install) …..  the app would launch correctly if I log in using Account C.  
    • The note I wanted to make was that it would now also launch okay, using Account A.   It seems if it has ever been installed with a particular account, it will then launch okay with that account …… going forward.   This assumes, of course, the desktop isn’t restored to a point before any of the installs happened.  
    • For example, I have a Restore Point created for a time before I did any Install work.  If I restored it to that point, and did a new Install with a particular account, it would only work with that one account only.

Message 6 of 10

@troy.robinson

Are you seeing this?  If so please look at the solutions that are there..

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 10

Hi,

Yes, I have seen that article.

- I believe ... since it will work with the install account, that all those points are addressed.  If any of those were issues, it shouldn't work on any account.

- I did check into most or all of those items anyways.

- I did uninstall and re-install the MS C++ modules.   I then did a re-install.  The application did launch (in the account I did the re-install with), but still failed with any other account.

Message 8 of 10

@troy.robinson

Quick questions..  Was the installation down with a deployment or straight installation each and every time?   Also were the machines cloned from another machine?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 10

Hi,

I am just doing these installs in our lab, so as to test/certify the 2017 version.  Once certified, then yes, we would create a SCCM script to push out the application to the end-users.     We currently have several end-users running AutoCAD 2014 products with no issues.  

So, these are lab desktops that I am doing the installs on right now.   I am doing a straight installation each time.

I'm not sure exactly how our operations group creates the lab test desktops.  They may have possibly beeen cloned from a users desktop ... not sure.

Message 10 of 10
natasha.l

Hello @troy.robinson,

@troy.robinson wrote:

Hi,

• note that whatever account I used to install AutoCAD (which needs admin rights for the install), if I log in using that account, the application will launch and run fine.   So, to me that eliminates any graphics card or hardware issues.  The app runs fine with that account.

Have you tried the profile on another computer to see if it installs properly? That can help you determine if it is a profile issue or a computer to computer issue. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report