Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding out network licenses that are used.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
380 Views, 7 Replies

Finding out network licenses that are used.

I have seen a couple utils to monitor acad seat usage. SamReports and another one... I do not consider the LMTools convenient enough to use in real time. I want to make my own, so I tried to get Macrovision to give me documentation on the FlexLM API. They rejected me saying I did not have a contract with them. Boo Hoo. They said to to get with Autodesk on it. The fact is, you have to own a seat of Flex LM, not just a software that uses it, so I am out of the running with that. Here is what I noticed though, there is a debug log file that every flexlm produces. It has all the data I need to chart usage and anything. Has anyone else taken advantage of this. I have no need for an API for flex LM since I have the data on seats checking in and out. Curious if anyone has developed a util to parse the debug log file. I would expect lots of people have done this to deal with real time decisions on what versions of acad are available (Map5, LDT...) thanks James Maeding Civil Engineer/Programmer
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

James, Using the debug log for reporting does not work for most customers for two reasons. First, the debug log file is overwritten each time the license manager is started. Secondly, the debug log file reports each session, not each seat count used. Since Autodesk products decrements seat count per concurrent workstation, not session this can cause confusing results. Try using LMUTIL which is a command line driven version of LMTOOLS. You can write scripts (.bat) to automate results you want to see. Documentation on using LMUTIL can be found below the DOCS\FLEXUSER folder where you installed the license manager. -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting "James Maeding" wrote in message news:mjn360t7mbohhbqpogkpnqnqbouv9f7ph0@4ax.com... > I have seen a couple utils to monitor acad seat usage. SamReports and another one... > I do not consider the LMTools convenient enough to use in real time. > I want to make my own, so I tried to get Macrovision to give me documentation on the FlexLM API. > They rejected me saying I did not have a contract with them. Boo Hoo. They said to to get with Autodesk on it. > The fact is, you have to own a seat of Flex LM, not just a software that uses it, so I am out of the running with that. > > Here is what I noticed though, there is a debug log file that every flexlm produces. It has all the data I need to > chart usage and anything. Has anyone else taken advantage of this. I have no need for an API for flex LM since I have > the data on seats checking in and out. Curious if anyone has developed a util to parse the debug log file. > I would expect lots of people have done this to deal with real time decisions on what versions of acad are available > (Map5, LDT...) > thanks > James Maeding > Civil Engineer/Programmer
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Great! Thanks Jerry. I hadn't noticed that fact about the sessions. Good call on that. I'll try the script option. I had looked at the LMUtil but will look some more. Much appreciated advice. "jerry milana" |>James, |> |>Using the debug log for reporting does not work for most customers for two |>reasons. First, the debug log file is overwritten each time the license |>manager is started. Secondly, the debug log file reports each session, not |>each seat count used. Since Autodesk products decrements seat count per |>concurrent workstation, not session this can cause confusing results. |> |>Try using LMUTIL which is a command line driven version of LMTOOLS. You can |>write scripts (.bat) to automate results you want to see. Documentation on |>using LMUTIL can be found below the DOCS\FLEXUSER folder where you installed |>the license manager. James Maeding Civil Engineer/Programmer
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Ok, I made a bat file to run a lmstat command with the -A parameter. It looks like this: "\\cadlicserver\c$\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\lmutil.exe" lmstat -A >c:\licenses.txt I used a full path so it should work from any machine. Now, it works fine on the server, but when I run the same batch file on a non-server machine, it says the lmgrd.exe is not running. I see what is going on, but am not sure how to get it to work. How do I tell lmutil to use the engine running on the server, not to look at the local machine? thanks James Maeding |>I have seen a couple utils to monitor acad seat usage. SamReports and another one... |>I do not consider the LMTools convenient enough to use in real time. |>I want to make my own, so I tried to get Macrovision to give me documentation on the FlexLM API. |>They rejected me saying I did not have a contract with them. Boo Hoo. They said to to get with Autodesk on it. |>The fact is, you have to own a seat of Flex LM, not just a software that uses it, so I am out of the running with that. |> |>Here is what I noticed though, there is a debug log file that every flexlm produces. It has all the data I need to |>chart usage and anything. Has anyone else taken advantage of this. I have no need for an API for flex LM since I have |>the data on seats checking in and out. Curious if anyone has developed a util to parse the debug log file. |>I would expect lots of people have done this to deal with real time decisions on what versions of acad are available |>(Map5, LDT...) |>thanks |>James Maeding |>Civil Engineer/Programmer James Maeding Civil Engineer/Programmer
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I tried telling it the license file first, and that seemed to avoid the lmgrd.exe error message, but the resulting file is rather blank batch file is now: (two lines, fix the word wrap if you copy this). "\\cadlicserver\c$\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\lmutil.exe" lmpath "C:\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\License\341-35595841.LIC" "\\cadlicserver\c$\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\lmutil.exe" lmstat -A >c:\licenses.txt James Maeding |>I have seen a couple utils to monitor acad seat usage. SamReports and another one... |>I do not consider the LMTools convenient enough to use in real time. |>I want to make my own, so I tried to get Macrovision to give me documentation on the FlexLM API. |>They rejected me saying I did not have a contract with them. Boo Hoo. They said to to get with Autodesk on it. |>The fact is, you have to own a seat of Flex LM, not just a software that uses it, so I am out of the running with that. |> |>Here is what I noticed though, there is a debug log file that every flexlm produces. It has all the data I need to |>chart usage and anything. Has anyone else taken advantage of this. I have no need for an API for flex LM since I have |>the data on seats checking in and out. Curious if anyone has developed a util to parse the debug log file. |>I would expect lots of people have done this to deal with real time decisions on what versions of acad are available |>(Map5, LDT...) |>thanks |>James Maeding |>Civil Engineer/Programmer James Maeding Civil Engineer/Programmer
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

looks like the problem was that I used -A but no seats were being used (its a test server...) so I am using -a now. The last question is: I ran this on another machine and it looked to our real server. Did it do this because of the ACADSERVER environ variable or the Licserver.lic file? What has precedence on where the lmutil looks, the environ variable or the .lic file? James Maeding |>I have seen a couple utils to monitor acad seat usage. SamReports and another one... |>I do not consider the LMTools convenient enough to use in real time. |>I want to make my own, so I tried to get Macrovision to give me documentation on the FlexLM API. |>They rejected me saying I did not have a contract with them. Boo Hoo. They said to to get with Autodesk on it. |>The fact is, you have to own a seat of Flex LM, not just a software that uses it, so I am out of the running with that. |> |>Here is what I noticed though, there is a debug log file that every flexlm produces. It has all the data I need to |>chart usage and anything. Has anyone else taken advantage of this. I have no need for an API for flex LM since I have |>the data on seats checking in and out. Curious if anyone has developed a util to parse the debug log file. |>I would expect lots of people have done this to deal with real time decisions on what versions of acad are available |>(Map5, LDT...) |>thanks |>James Maeding |>Civil Engineer/Programmer James Maeding Civil Engineer/Programmer
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

If you don't want to spend time and money on doing it your self JTB FlexReport can do what you want. -- Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com Take a look at JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com More on AutoCAD 2005; www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm "James Maeding" wrote in message news:mjn360t7mbohhbqpogkpnqnqbouv9f7ph0@4ax.com... > I have seen a couple utils to monitor acad seat usage. SamReports and another one... > I do not consider the LMTools convenient enough to use in real time. > I want to make my own, so I tried to get Macrovision to give me documentation on the FlexLM API. > They rejected me saying I did not have a contract with them. Boo Hoo. They said to to get with Autodesk on it. > The fact is, you have to own a seat of Flex LM, not just a software that uses it, so I am out of the running with that. > > Here is what I noticed though, there is a debug log file that every flexlm produces. It has all the data I need to > chart usage and anything. Has anyone else taken advantage of this. I have no need for an API for flex LM since I have > the data on seats checking in and out. Curious if anyone has developed a util to parse the debug log file. > I would expect lots of people have done this to deal with real time decisions on what versions of acad are available > (Map5, LDT...) > thanks > James Maeding > Civil Engineer/Programmer
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I have seen that but I need more info than a graph. I asked the author about it.... thanks "Jimmy Bergmark" |>If you don't want to spend time and money on doing it your self JTB |>FlexReport can do what you want. James Maeding Civil Engineer/Programmer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report