Installation & Licensing

Reply
*McGrath, Mike
Post 1 of 7

Fatal Error: Security System

286 Views, 6 Replies
03-02-2000 10:09 AM
I have just gotten a new pc for our company. It is running Windows NT 4.0
SP 5 (preinstalled by Gateway). We are running LDD from our network. After
installing MAP3 and LDD from the network, I am unable to run LDD. I get the
Fatal Error: Security System (hardware lock or network license) is
improperly installed or is not working correctly. I have not had this
problem before. I have tried reinstalling the program a couple of times
with no luck. Any suggestions?
*Martin, Jason
Post 2 of 7

Re: Fatal Error: Security System

03-02-2000 10:39 AM in reply to: *McGrath, Mike
Is the new machine in the same subnet as the license server? Can you ping
the license server by netbios name from the new machine. Just guessing it
has something to do with the network configuration of the new machine. You
might also try putting the license servers name in the acadserver
environment variable and see if that helps.

hth
jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza
Mike McGrath wrote in message
news:89maga$f9u17@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> I have just gotten a new pc for our company. It is running Windows NT 4.0
> SP 5 (preinstalled by Gateway). We are running LDD from our network.
After
> installing MAP3 and LDD from the network, I am unable to run LDD. I get
the
> Fatal Error: Security System (hardware lock or network license) is
> improperly installed or is not working correctly. I have not had this
> problem before. I have tried reinstalling the program a couple of times
> with no luck. Any suggestions?
>
>
>
>
>
*McGrath, Mike
Post 3 of 7

Re:

03-02-2000 12:00 PM in reply to: *McGrath, Mike
I am able to ping the server using the command in dos. I have also
tried adding the server name to ACADSERVER, but this still doesn't work.
Everything seems to be okay with every other aspect of the network. Should
I try reinstalling Windows NT?

"Jason Martin" wrote in message
news:89mcf8$f9u27@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> Is the new machine in the same subnet as the license server? Can you ping
> the license server by netbios name from the new machine. Just guessing it
> has something to do with the network configuration of the new machine.
You
> might also try putting the license servers name in the acadserver
> environment variable and see if that helps.
>
> hth
> jason martin
> frankfurt-short-bruza
> Mike McGrath wrote in message
> news:89maga$f9u17@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> > I have just gotten a new pc for our company. It is running Windows NT
4.0
> > SP 5 (preinstalled by Gateway). We are running LDD from our network.
> After
> > installing MAP3 and LDD from the network, I am unable to run LDD. I get
> the
> > Fatal Error: Security System (hardware lock or network license) is
> > improperly installed or is not working correctly. I have not had this
> > problem before. I have tried reinstalling the program a couple of times
> > with no luck. Any suggestions?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
*Milana, Jerry
Post 4 of 7

Re:

03-02-2000 12:15 PM in reply to: *McGrath, Mike
Mike,

Try reapplying SP5 to the OS.

Jerry Milana,
Autodesk Product Support

Mike McGrath wrote:

> I am able to ping the server using the command in dos. I have also
> tried adding the server name to ACADSERVER, but this still doesn't work.
> Everything seems to be okay with every other aspect of the network. Should
> I try reinstalling Windows NT?
>
> "Jason Martin" wrote in message
> news:89mcf8$f9u27@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> > Is the new machine in the same subnet as the license server? Can you ping
> > the license server by netbios name from the new machine. Just guessing it
> > has something to do with the network configuration of the new machine.
> You
> > might also try putting the license servers name in the acadserver
> > environment variable and see if that helps.
> >
> > hth
> > jason martin
> > frankfurt-short-bruza
> > Mike McGrath wrote in message
> > news:89maga$f9u17@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> > > I have just gotten a new pc for our company. It is running Windows NT
> 4.0
> > > SP 5 (preinstalled by Gateway). We are running LDD from our network.
> > After
> > > installing MAP3 and LDD from the network, I am unable to run LDD. I get
> > the
> > > Fatal Error: Security System (hardware lock or network license) is
> > > improperly installed or is not working correctly. I have not had this
> > > problem before. I have tried reinstalling the program a couple of times
> > > with no luck. Any suggestions?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
*McGrath, Mike
Post 5 of 7

Re:

03-02-2000 12:49 PM in reply to: *McGrath, Mike
That did the trick.

Thanks.

"Jerry Milana" wrote in message
news:38BECBDA.49310747@autodesk.com...
> Mike,
>
> Try reapplying SP5 to the OS.
>
> Jerry Milana,
> Autodesk Product Support
>
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > I am able to ping the server using the command in dos. I have
also
> > tried adding the server name to ACADSERVER, but this still doesn't work.
> > Everything seems to be okay with every other aspect of the network.
Should
> > I try reinstalling Windows NT?
> >
> > "Jason Martin" wrote in message
> > news:89mcf8$f9u27@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> > > Is the new machine in the same subnet as the license server? Can you
ping
> > > the license server by netbios name from the new machine. Just
guessing it
> > > has something to do with the network configuration of the new machine.
> > You
> > > might also try putting the license servers name in the acadserver
> > > environment variable and see if that helps.
> > >
> > > hth
> > > jason martin
> > > frankfurt-short-bruza
> > > Mike McGrath wrote in message
> > > news:89maga$f9u17@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> > > > I have just gotten a new pc for our company. It is running Windows
NT
> > 4.0
> > > > SP 5 (preinstalled by Gateway). We are running LDD from our
network.
> > > After
> > > > installing MAP3 and LDD from the network, I am unable to run LDD. I
get
> > > the
> > > > Fatal Error: Security System (hardware lock or network license) is
> > > > improperly installed or is not working correctly. I have not had
this
> > > > problem before. I have tried reinstalling the program a couple of
times
> > > > with no luck. Any suggestions?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
>
*Boettcher, Will
Post 6 of 7

Re: Fatal Error: Security System

04-06-2001 02:59 AM in reply to: *McGrath, Mike
Hello,

I've recently installed a new server and have migrated all the data over
there, all directories/paths are the same as the old one, and the server
name was changed to be names what the old one was. I was working on
cleaning the old server off, and had rebooted when the engineers started
complaining about this error:

AutoCad Error Aborting

Fatal Error: Security system ( hardware lock or network license ) is not
functioning or is improperly installed.

I'm assuming this relates to the network license installed on my old server
that I want to nuke and redo. How do I transfer this network license and
any path pointing to it to my new server?

Thanks in advance,
Will
Highlighted
*martin, jason
Post 7 of 7

Re:

04-06-2001 03:56 AM in reply to: *McGrath, Mike
You don't transfer the licenses.

Readers digest version of what you need to do.
(Assuming that you are using a windows server and not netware)

Get the original acad cd (whatever version you're running). Go to the \netsetup folder
and run setup.exe (this is on the server).
When prompted select adlm installation only
Follow the bouncing ball through the installation wizard (let the adlm install to the path
that it likes if at all possible).
Re-boot if req'd
Go to the adlm administration program and write down the bazillion digit server code
Call autodesk at 800 551-1490 (that number's pretty old, but it's the one that I used
last time) and tell them your new server code and all of your autocad serial numbers (yes
all of them).
They will give you back a gazillion digit auth code and you will need to type it in the
auth code (or key code, I don't remember what it says) box in the adlm admin tool.
Then go to start / settings / control panel / adlm and click the launch (or start, but I
think it's launch) button.
Wait 3 minutes.
Go to adlm query and click the severs button to see if you get an answer back from this
machine as being an adlm server.
If you do then shut down the old server. Everyone using acad will have their license
dropped, so you might want to warn them. Have them re-launch with the old server down and
see if they can get a license from the new server. If they can't then they probably have
an acadserver variable set, or it is some other connectivity problem. If it doesn't work,
restart the old server and post back. We'll try to figure out what the problem is.

hth

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"Will Boettcher" wrote in message
news:C7895A3302D83FD73993FF0B928FA42C@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hello,
>
> I've recently installed a new server and have migrated all the data over
> there, all directories/paths are the same as the old one, and the server
> name was changed to be names what the old one was. I was working on
> cleaning the old server off, and had rebooted when the engineers started
> complaining about this error:
>
> AutoCad Error Aborting
>
> Fatal Error: Security system ( hardware lock or network license ) is not
> functioning or is improperly installed.
>
> I'm assuming this relates to the network license installed on my old server
> that I want to nuke and redo. How do I transfer this network license and
> any path pointing to it to my new server?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Will
>
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.