Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deactivate a License Remotely

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Hiltscher
3241 Views, 7 Replies

Deactivate a License Remotely

I had installed a copy of the AEC suite (2018) to a computer that is now out of my hands.  I have installed a copy on my new computer.  While I can ask the new owner to delete the software, I'm still concerned.  People being people... I don't know if they will have deleted the software from the old computer.  And I don't want to be in violation of license agreements.

Upon initial purchase, I asked my Autodesk licensed retailer about this.  They told me how many copies I was allowed to install.  And they said that I'd have control over the licenses.  But now that I've come across the situation, they told me that I'd have to contact Autodesk about how to control those licenses.

So, I contacted them.  They responded that I don't have to deactivate the old copy.  Well, that didn't make any sense.  How do I know if the old copy is deactivated?

Is there a way I can verify the deletion?  Or deactivate the license remotely?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Hiltscher

@Hiltscher

UPDATE:  So was this a personal computer holding a company license of an Autodesk product that was handed over to someone else?

When you say AEC suite, are you talking about AEC Collection?

If so this is a subscription based product.  So the next question, do you have a single user or multi-user type of license?

If the latter, software will not work because it requires access to your license server for activation.

If the former, software will not work because its activation comes from the name account its assigned to.  Meaning if they don't know your credentials they can't log in and use it.  However if you were still logged into your account then yes they can get access because its recorded.  At this point you may want to create a new user account under your subscription and reassign the use of the AEC Collection to that user.  That way your account is blocked from using the software

In the end your reseller should've told you of this and not the users of this forum.  Smiley Wink

If you are talking about an actual AEC Suite perpetual license than that's a different story.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 8
natasha.l

Hello @Hiltscher

It is best to discuss this with your reseller, your reseller should provide this form of support & know what contract or account is authorized to use this license. 

As Mark pointed out, regardless which license type the owner of the license/s can control license usage. In your case you have a 1 seat single-user license. Please review the information to learn more about the usage control & license types. 

Autodesk License Types

• Stand-alone/Single-User: Supports one or more Autodesk products for an individual user. Has a multi-seat version that supports a specific number of users. Software can be installed on additional computers in your facility, but the number of concurrent users is limited. Only the assigned user/s have access to products, this is controlled by the Account Administrator. 
  • Network/Multi-User: Supports a specific maximum number of users on computers connected to a network. Licenses are issued via Network License Manager (NLM) software utility to each user who starts an Autodesk product, up to the number of licenses purchased. Usually returns to NLM when a user closes all Autodesk products, which makes the license available to other users. NLM can be configured to allow a user to borrow a license and disconnect from the network until a specified return date—a borrowed license is only returned to NLM on or before the return date

Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Please “Accept As Solution” if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 4 of 8
Hiltscher
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Yes, handed over to someone else.

Yes, the collection.

According to the reseller, I am allowed to install it on two towers and one laptop. But only one user can be logged in at any given time.

I was logged in the last time I had the computer.  And it does not log you out automatically.

As I said earlier:

I've already spoken with the reseller.  They told me to talk to Autodesk.  I spoke with Autodesk and their only response was that I don't need to deactivate that other license.  Even when I wrote again explaining that the other computer is no longer under my control, they didn't respond. So, with the reseller passing the buck and Autodesk giving me a non-response, I'm just looking for ANYone to help me.

But I guess no one wants me to be compliant.

Message 5 of 8
Mark.Lancaster

@Hiltscher wrote:

According to the reseller, I am allowed to install it on two towers and one laptop. But only one user can be logged in at any given time.

First that statement is sort or true and not 100% true..  Smiley Very Happy  With Single User Subscription you can install the software on "X" number of machines (and there's no restrictions).  However as your reseller stated, you can only activate a single machine at a given time using the Autodesk ID that's associated to authorize the product.

In the end I would like to see you compliant Smiley Wink so you don't run into issues.  Like I said create another user account under your subscription and reassign the use of the product to that and that way you are ensured the software on that machine can't be launched.  Granted they can run it in a 30 day off-line mode at this point but once 30 days is up the software will fail to start.

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 6 of 8
Hiltscher
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

"Create a New Account".

Would simply changing the password be sufficient?

If not, how do I reassign the license to the new user account?

Message 7 of 8
Mark.Lancaster

@Hiltscher

Changing your password would also work too.   I was just going the new user account direction because I kind of see this as a person left the company and someone new is starting..  Meaning IT department would be blocking or disabling that account to protect from that machine accessing their company network.  Which leads me to another point..  Can they?  Would this new owner be able to access any of your company infrastructure?

If you went the new user account, the contract manager or software coordinator for your subscription would have to create the account under your company's subscription and then remove the use of the product from your current Autodesk Account and then assign it to the new account.

Mark Lancaster

Message 8 of 8
natasha.l

Hello @Hiltscher

We are happy to help you, if you fear the previous user has access to your information you can edit your Autodesk Account credentials by following the steps outlined >here<. 

Please Accept As Solution” if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report