Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the license server for Maya 2017

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
remydrh
3724 Views, 13 Replies

Changing the license server for Maya 2017

I can find lots of data on changing the license server for products using the FlexLM system but not the newer software. Since the change to subscription, we have to use a new license. However, I cannot get the installed Maya to point to the correct server. It continues to pull a license from the old server and that expires today.

We've tried removing all the folders here: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\CLM\LGS

When restarting Maya it asks for a new license and I select Network and then it starts right up using the old server. This isn't what I want. I need to input the new license server.

We also tried using the Manage License and told it to change the license type, we get the same result, it just starts up with the old server. Where is this data being cached? I can't find anything for 2017 to help us migrate to the new subscription licences.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
TravisNave
in reply to: remydrh

You can use the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE system environment variable to point to the new server:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vault-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

More information on the hierarchy is here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Use-of...

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 14
remydrh
in reply to: TravisNave

Maya doesn't use FlexLM, there's no such ENV Variable on the machine. Instead it uses ADLM. Really prefer not to have to put this on every machine...

Message 4 of 14
TravisNave

What do you mean it doesn't use FlexLM, it uses ADLM?  I guess one of us is confused on the licensing definitions here.  Would you care to clarify?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 14
remydrh

They changed the licensing mechanism with 2017. All of the things we tried tied to changing it based on 2016 and prior FlexLM hasn't worked with the new ADLM branded flex license.
Message 6 of 14
TravisNave

Can you provide a screen shot of exactly what you are talking about?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 14
gbarlier

i have the same issue, maya keeps asking me for a license key without offering me to enter a license server information, and i can not seem to find any where how/where to do that.

And yes MAYA2017 seems to be using ADLM instead of FLEXLM now.

Message 8 of 14
remydrh
in reply to: gbarlier

So apparently the options are: reinstall it (probably) or use the env variable instead. Not sure why it's not possible to change it from its initial state.

Message 9 of 14
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: gbarlier

@gbarlier

The Autodesk License Manager is the the FlexLM that @TravisNave is talking about...

Can you just post a screenshot of what you are seeing or stuck at...  We are not assuming what you think the issue is..  Smiley Wink  We only see words and have no clue where you are at...

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 10 of 14
Mark.Lancaster

@remydrh

Can you just provide a screen shot like @TravisNave asked..  These replies mean nothing because you may know where you are at but we don't..  Provide screen shots so we can tell you the next step..  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 11 of 14
remydrh
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I already received a response from Byron Morales to use the ENV Variable.

However the link I was given goes nowhere:  http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS1065268

Message 12 of 14
Mark.Lancaster

@remydrh

This reply will most likely sound I'm being rude.. But this back and forth is not value added..  Smiley Sad  Screen shots please and I have no clue who Byron Morales is or what link they shared with you...

Mark Lancaster

Message 13 of 14
TravisNave

Autodesk hasn't used the usa.autodesk.com URLs for support in quite awhile now.  The environment variable link is in my original post. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 14 of 14
remydrh

If you set the license server using the ENV Variable it creates a new set of license files, you can then remove the ENV Variable and these files will stick, which is what I wanted.

Seems a roundabout way to do it but I assume someone is trying to hide exactly what the licensing system is doing, fair enough. I might suggest a better way to do this in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report