Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install student version of Mental Ray

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1184 Views, 6 Replies

Can't install student version of Mental Ray

Whenever I try to install Mental Ray Student Edition 2015, it fails to download.

Here"s the installation log:

2014/8/13:18:04:23 Dylan DYLAN-PC === Setup started on DYLAN-PC by Dylan ===
2014/8/13:18:04:23 Dylan DYLAN-PC Path_Length: 143
2014/8/13:18:04:23 Dylan DYLAN-PC Current Directory C:\Users\Dylan\AppData\Local\Temp\_AI721F.tmp
2014/8/13:18:04:23 Dylan DYLAN-PC Launch
2014/8/13:18:04:24 Dylan DYLAN-PC Download Skipped SETUP_CONFIG http://trial2.autodesk.com/SWDLDNET4/2015/MAYA/WI/{B8DFAAF4-0BCF-49DB-8F35-3B4ACD35CFA8}/SETUP_x64.t...
2014/8/13:18:04:24 Dylan DYLAN-PC PageOpen LaunchDialog
2014/8/13:18:04:40 Dylan DYLAN-PC PageOpen LicenseDialog
2014/8/13:18:04:42 Dylan DYLAN-PC PageOpen ProductInfoDialog
2014/8/13:18:04:42 Dylan DYLAN-PC PageOpen ProductSelectionDialog2
2014/8/13:18:04:45 Dylan DYLAN-PC PageOpen FullProgressDialog
2014/8/13:18:04:46 Dylan DYLAN-PC Download Error Connection has expired. Please reconnect to site. MENTALRAYPLUGIN http://trial2.autodesk.com/SWDLDNET4/2015/MAYA/WI/Autodesk_Maya_2015_wi_en-US_Setup.exe
2014/8/13:18:04:46 Dylan DYLAN-PC Install mental ray® renderer for Autodesk® Maya® 2015 Failed Download Failed, Installation aborted, Result=1603

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
philip.s
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello!

It looks like the Install Now connection expired which could have been a result of running the Setup.exe file instead of launching from the trial page. Does that make any difference?

If not, a workaround would be to utilize the Browser Download method which can be found in the Autodesk Virtual Agent.

How to download or re-download software

Here to help if additional assistance is needed, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: philip.s

Thanks for the reply.

I click the Install Now button on the download page, open the downloaded file, click next a few times.  It shows that Maya has already been installed, but when I click continue to install Mental Ray, it instantly gives me the same error message.

Message 4 of 7
jeffrey.sin

Hi @Anonymous, 

Can you try using the Browser Download method as described above by @philip.s and see if that downloaded installer will work?

Alternatively, you may also check out some of the possible causes and solutions for the Error 1603 that you are seeing:

Error 1603 during installation of Autodesk software 

Thanks,

Jeffrey Sin

Autodesk Customer Support
Message 5 of 7
boothisrael97
in reply to: jeffrey.sin

I have the same issue. Somehow, I downloaded Autodeask Maya 2015, but the Mental Ray Renderer and the DirectConnect program both fail. I've retried installing a dozen times. I have the disk space (538 GB), I don't have anhy applications or programs running except for maybe Skype and Google Chrome (but that's just for the Autodesk page), and the only real options I have are for me to delete the TEMP files or go fix short file creation. While the latter I can accomplish at a later time, I am concerned that if I delete the TEMP files, I might lose something. Will deleting the files have any harmful effects on my computer?

Message 6 of 7
philip.s
in reply to: boothisrael97

Hey there!

Have you tried pulling up your installation log to see what might be the culprit? We're looking for a line that has a failure reference in it, typically at the bottom of the file and above any lines that say rollback.

Location of the log files generated by the installation of an Autodesk product

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I figured it out after searching hours on Google and trying EVERYTHING!  My ssytem is a win7 x64, so I am not sure if this works on other OS.

1. Delete all temp files

2. restart system

3. block EVERY anti virus and or firewall

4. Go to this microsoft site which will reinstall or install MS Update agent

5. Go to this site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and select RUN at bottom.

-select install problem fix (not uninstall prob)

- Find and select AutoDesk Maya 2015 from the list of software on your system, then let it work

- Hopefully they find a currupt installation file (mine was: currupt WOW64 issue)

6. Log into the Autodesk site downlaod center

7. DO NOT select installer or browser install, ONLY select the DOWNLOAD option (was doing the install option and the browser install didnt even work for me)

8. Re-enter your Software key, etc when prompted

9. You should know that its working well this time because the Autodesk Application Manager will say new update (Mental Ray sp)

10. DONE!

Hopefully this helps 🙂  It did for me, but now I am bald.

Daniel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report