Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Please provide step by step video instructions for Revit 2021-2022 deployments

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mrogalski
647 Views, 3 Replies

Autodesk Please provide step by step video instructions for Revit 2021-2022 deployments

For those of us that can't afford 15-20GB for each installation of Revit on our workstations (We have 4-5 versions installed at any given time due to project lifespans) we try to offload seldom used support files to network drives, most often mapped via Group Policy (GPO) via Distributed File System (DFS). By moving these support files to a network drive I can free up 3GB of drive space, installation time per workstation and an easy way to administrate corporate templates, families etc.

Starting with Release 2021 I have tried to deploy Revit leveraging the new deployment tool, however I don't seem to end up with the desired end result. I get all language support files and templates. On my network locations templates are installed each time I install the software, even if the files already exist.

I have made posts regarding this issue, I have read many, many posts related to the same issue on this and other forums where IT pros like me that have been deploying AutoDesk apps for many years are suddenly stumped when trying to get the software to the end users.

To make life easier on all of us I propose AutoDesk developers should make a series of instructional videos detailing the prescribed steps needed to consistently deploy Revit 2021-2022 as described below.

I need to be able to control these variables to do so we need instructions beyond the stale, incomplete instructions provided: Create a Custom Revit Deployment | Revit Products 2021 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Here are the files I would like to store in a central location:

"T:\RVT_2022\Family_Templates"

"T:\RVT_2022\IES"

"T:\RVT_2022\Libraries"

"T:\RVT_2022\Lookup_Tables"

"T:\RVT_2022\Templates"

When I open Revit I expect my users to see the default paths as follows:

*Default Path for user files: "C:\users\loggedinsccountname\Documents"

Default Path for Family Template File: "T:\RVT_2022\Templates"

*Root Path for point clouds: "C:\users\loggedinsccountname\Documents\pointclouds"

*Default config, I do not need to customize this location

For all path scenarios listed above I have discovered I have to use the full path rather than the mapped drive locations in the profile .ini I discover this is still true today, so instead of:

"T:\RVT_2022\..."

I have to use the full DFS path:

\\mydomainname\files\sharename\RVT_2022\.."

While annoying I can live with it as long as the results are consistent and predictable

After deploying the support files to the network locations

I expect the deployment to NOT reinstall support files that to ANY location (local PC or network) that exist, this is especially important if we use modified versions of the files. This also wastes a lot of time and bandwidth.

Languages and language support files/libraries etc.

I only need US English, I am certain other folks around the world only need their specific language. The current deployment tool still installs all language support files even though the files are commented out in the .xml file that is generated via the online deployment builder, something that was supposedly fixed for this release.

That's all folks, I don't do any customizations beyond what you see listed above

Summary

With some clear instructions I would certainly willing to try this again as I am now having to run around and install Revit 2021, one at a time for staff rather than make it available via Software Center (SCCM/MECM) until then I have to onesie twosie install this software, which wastes both time and drive space.

AutoDesk, Please help us out this is really frustrating and I believe since you all drove the change it is up to you to help get us up to speed so we can get this new software onto our workstations. 

The Spice Must flow!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RAMasterson
in reply to: mrogalski

I completely agree. The new online deployment tool is NO steps forward & many steps backward from the previous on-premise deployment tool.

The only advantage I can see is that we don't have to download the all the products from the AEC collections, but that was never a big issue anyway.

Autodesk...show me what I'm missing!

Message 3 of 4
mrogalski

Still unanswered

Message 4 of 4
pendean

@RAMasterson @Anonymous no one here is Autodesk, just end users helping other end users when someone chooses to do so.

If you need Autodesk then go to your Accounts Page HERE, click on the ? icon in the blue circle, and start a support ticket.

HTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report