Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Network License Manager 2016

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
TravisNave
17885 Views, 9 Replies

Autodesk Network License Manager 2016

Well, it's that time again.  Time to update your Autodesk Network License Manager files to the latest and greatest (Autodesk) version.

Autodesk is providing version 11.12.1.4 for 2016 products. 

NOTE:  According to Autodesk, the 2016 products will work with any existing v11.12 version but it is recommended that you update to v11.12.1.4. 

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2015/02/autodesk-network-license-manager-has-been-updated...

Unlike in my previous posts, the License Manager files are no longer available for direct download from Flexera.  Per their new policy, you must obtain the license manager from your software vendor.  You can download the Autodesk Network License Manager files here for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Latest-...

If there are updates to the Autodesk Network License Manager files as the 2016 product line is rolled-out, I will reflect those changes in this thread. 

You can update your license file to 2016 versions once your Subscription has been fulfilled. 

You can use the online method to activate your license here:

https://register.autodesk.com and from the new Autodesk Accounts page at https://accounts.autodesk.com

Or you can can contact your Value-Added Reseller for assistance. You can locate your VAR here:

http://www.autodesk.com/resellers/locate-a-reseller

To update your license file, you will need to provide your serial number and ethernet ID of the new license server.

For a Quick-Start Guide on configuring the Autodesk License Manager, please see my post for further information:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensi​ng/Quick-Start-Guide-for-Configuring-LMTOOLS/m-p/...

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TravisNave
in reply to: TravisNave

I wanted to provide a quick Screencast on how you can upgrade to the latest version of the Autodesk Network License Manager in under a minute.  As long as you are not making major license file changes, you can upgrade the license manager while your users are working without affecting them. 

Note:  If you have borrowed licenses, it is necessary for you to check the box to "Force Server Shutdown" before shutting down and upgrading your server.  This is not pictured in the video.

In addition, if you need to combine your new license files with existing files or other vendor products, you can do so via my KB forum post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Combining-License-Files-for-Subscription-and-No...

Thanks!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

I received notice to update my subscription from Autocad LT 2015 to LT 2016. The problem is that program language download

options are only Korean, Traditional Chinese or Spanish, I need English. How do I get the English download?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I received notice to update my subscription from Autocad LT 2015 to LT 2016. The problem is that program language download

options are only Korean, Traditional Chinese or Spanish, I need English. How do I get the English download?

what does this have to do with this thread?

Message 5 of 10
pvillella

Travis,

The steps you show in your Screencast don't appear to be applicable for 2015 or 2016 products.

Previously, Autodesk let us download a ZIP file, such as you show in your video, and it was easy as pie to just copy them from the folder to the ADLM folder, overwriting the old ones, as you do.

However, now, the file that can be downloaded from Autodesk is an actual installer. It's not a ZIP file that you can just copy paste files from. You have to install it. If you already have the ADLM installed, it dies, asking you to uninstall the old license manager first.

I don't understand Autodesk's rationale in making this an installer. It just makes it more work for us. When I'm working on a live server with users working with Autodesk products, the last thing I want to do is uninstall the ADLM. 

It's less nervewracking to be able to back the files in the existing installation, copy the new ones over and restart.

Previously, I've used the installer on a new system, then simply copied the folder it creates so I can easily copy it to old servers, following the steps you outline.

I'm just interested in hearing what you do now, with the 2015 and 2016 products that use the installer?

Do you have any tricks, or do you just uninstall/reinstall?

If you uninstall, does it disrupt current users?

Does it remove the service you've already set up? Do you have to start from scratch?

Thanks for the input.

Patrick  Villella, LEED AP
AEC Technical Consultant

Message 6 of 10
TravisNave
in reply to: pvillella

I agree it is annoying. What I do is extract the installer to my desktop,
then copy the four .exe files over to my server using the exact same method
as in my OP. Hope that helps!

If you stop the service in LMTOOLS, close LMTOOLS, then copy over the
files, you can start LMTOOLS and the service right back up. It will not
affect your users currently using Autodesk products, so long as you can do
it within about a 6-minute window... which is long enough to upgrade it 30
times. 🙂

Good Luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 10

Whats the easiest way to transition from Autocad PDSP 2015 to 2016.   If I replace the license file with the 2016 version will all my 2015 users be stopped until I can install 2016 on each machine.  Thanks. Cam.

Message 8 of 10

If you are under Subscription then your 2016 license will already allow
2015 use. Just upgrade and it'll be transparent to your users.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 10

Excellent Thanks. Cam.

Message 10 of 10
rkmcswain

TravisNave wrote:
I agree it is annoying. What I do is extract the installer to my desktop

I just want to clarify this part, at least based on my understanding of it.

You can't extract (as in unzip) these files since the downloadable file is a .MSI file, so just run the install, and specify a new folder that does not exist. The 5 files will be dumped there. 

nlm1.PNG

nlm2.PNG

nlm3.PNG

nlm5.PNG

There are your files, you can now resume with the second paragraph from @TravisNave

Once you are done copying these files to a save place, you can run the Uninstaller for the NLM and it will remove the files and the new folder ("Delete-me" in this case).

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report