Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autodesk installer unhandled exception Install tried ALL the common fixes

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
3523 Views, 14 Replies

autodesk installer unhandled exception Install tried ALL the common fixes

Hello I have been pulling my hair out now for several days trying to get a new install of autodesk products after suddenly not working (possibly after installing solidworks?)

the message that "a software problem has caused autodesk installer to close unexpectedly" pop up almost immediately

I have tried all the common fixes:

downloading directly off autodesk virtual server

stopping anti-virus service

running installer as admin

uninstalling microsoft .net & C++ after also uninstalling and reinstalling

COMPLETELY uninstalling ALL autodesk programs and features including running Revo uninstaller which takes care of all references on machine

deleting ALL autodesk directories on drive

ATTEMPTING to manually clean registry of all autodesk references... no possibly way as there is Thousands upon thousands

removing all references to previous "sharred common" files in registry for UPI config

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<CERInfo ClientVersion="4">
<ProcessInfo
/>
<UserInfo UserCanBeContacted="no" ComputerName="3DPSYCHO-PC" SerialNum="###-########">
  <UserName value =""/>
  <UserPhone value=""/>
  <UserEmail value=""/>
  <UserSubscription macID="{47B2C0CA-4D68-4892-9D90-8F373182B863}" userId=""/>
  <ErrorDescription CrashDate="2/9/2017" CrashID="{687F6120-9918-49D2-8626-AF984BBBD645}" AllowRT="1"></ErrorDescription>
  <Metrics CalendarUptime="0" RequiredSend="0" WaitDur="10000" /></UserInfo>
<upipackage><upivalue version="1.0" type="product" requestingapp="true"><level name="productline" id="PLATFORMINSTALL"><level name="release" id="2016"><level name="master" id="SETUP_32"><level name="build" id="9.0.0"/></level></level></level></upivalue>
</upipackage><OSInfo  MajorVersion = "6" MinorVersion = "1" BuildNumber = "7601" PlatformId = "2" CSDVersion = "Service Pack 1" ServicePackMajor = "1" ServicePackMinor = "0" SuiteFlags = "300" KernelMajorVersion = "6" KernelMinorVersion = "1" KernelBuildNum = "7601" KernelReleaseNum = "18015"/>
<LocaleInfo> <LocalUserDefault IDefaultAnsiCodepage="1252"  IDefaultCodepage="437"  IDefaultLanguage="0409"  IDefaultCountry="1"  ILanguage="0409"  ICountry="1" />
 <LocalSystemDefault IDefaultAnsiCodepage="1252"  IDefaultCodepage="437"  IDefaultLanguage="0409"  IDefaultCountry="1"  ILanguage="0409"  ICountry="1" />
</LocaleInfo>
<WininetInfo  WininetMajorVersion = "11" WininetMinorVersion = "00" WininetBuildNum = "9600" WininetReleaseNum = "16428"/>
<MC3Info sessionId="" userId="" />
<ProductInformation name="Autodesk Installer" build_version="10.0.37.0" ui_language="en-us" bundle_name="Autodesk AutoCAD Design Suite Ultimate 2017" product_key="#####" registry_localeID="1033" /><AppCDATA><![CDATA[]]></AppCDATA>
<DxDiagInfo><SystemInformation><OperatingSystem><![CDATA[64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.160930-0600)]]></OperatingSystem><Language><![CDATA[English (Regional Setting: English)]]></Language><SystemManufacturer><![CDATA[n/a]]></SystemManufacturer><SystemModel><![CDATA[n/a]]></SystemModel><BIOS><![CDATA[n/a]]></BIOS><Processor><![CDATA[n/a (8 CPUs)]]></Processor><SystemMemory><![CDATA[12288MB RAM]]></SystemMemory><PageFile><![CDATA[3972MB used, 20505MB available]]></PageFile><FullDirectXVersion><![CDATA[DirectX 11]]></FullDirectXVersion><DxDiagVersion><![CDATA[6.01.7601.17514]]></DxDiagVersion></SystemInformation><GraphicsDeviceInfo><DirectXVersion><![CDATA[10.0]]></DirectXVersion><DDIVersion><![CDATA[11]]></DDIVersion><DDIVersionNumber><![CDATA[b]]></DDIVersionNumber><DxDiagWHQLLevel><![CDATA[0]]></DxDiagWHQLLevel><DriverSignedValid><![CDATA[False]]></DriverSignedValid><DriverSigned><![CDATA[False]]></DriverSigned><Manufacturer><![CDATA[]]></Manufacturer><ChipType><![CDATA[]]></ChipType><DACType><![CDATA[]]></DACType><GraphicsHWMemory><![CDATA[4049 MB]]></GraphicsHWMemory><DisplayMode><![CDATA[1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)]]></DisplayMode><VendorID><![CDATA[0x10DE]]></VendorID><DeviceID><![CDATA[0x06CD]]></DeviceID><SubSystemID><![CDATA[0x079F10DE]]></SubSystemID><RevisionID><![CDATA[0x00A3]]></RevisionID><GraphicsDriverFile><![CDATA[]]></GraphicsDriverFile><DriverFileVersion><![CDATA[]]></DriverFileVersion><DriverDate><![CDATA[]]></DriverDate><WHQLLevel><![CDATA[0]]></WHQLLevel></GraphicsDeviceInfo></DxDiagInfo><VideoDriverInfo><ATIPackagingVersion><![CDATA[No value found]]></ATIPackagingVersion></VideoDriverInfo>
</CERInfo>

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Darin.Green
in reply to: Anonymous

This issue is caused by the method you're using to download/install the application.

Solution:

Download the software from the Autodesk Virtual Agent

• Once there, use Download Links and navigate to the application you need to download.

NOTE: If there are multiple parts for the download, you'll need to click each part to download them, once they are downloaded double-click Part1 (which will automatically extract the remaining parts) to begin the installation.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Darin.Green

Thank you for answering... but new installation 2017 products are the issue... I just tested a 2016 and it seemed to go through installation ok although I haven't activated it... on 2017 product it just errors out on install with the message stated before

Message 4 of 15
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

So does that mean you did followed @Darin.Green information regarding the Virtual Agent and still have this issue for 2017 or you didn't and still are struggling with it?

Just because you got lucky with installing 2016 from your Autodesk Account or somewhere else (beside the Virtual Agent), doesn't mean its going to work the same for 2017.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Yes, I did follow the instructions that was suggested

Message 6 of 15
natasha.l

Hello @Anonymous,

The community will need some more information. I would try using AIDA logs to troubleshoot the installation errors. 

AIDA Autodesk® Installation Diagnostic Assistant is intended to provide assistance in identifying the root cause and providing a suggested solution.

1. Download the installation executable from the following link to download AIDA.

2. Double-click the executable and click the “Install” button

3. Accept the license agreement and click “next”

4. Click the “Install” button. The install should complete in 1-2 minutes. Click “finish” when complete

Launch AIDA. The one click functionality should detect the most recent install log file containing errors and provide an output HTML file. If the utility is unable to detect a log file with errors, you can click the "load logs" button and manually locate the log which will have a naming convention of "[Product Name] Setup.log" for the product that had the install failure. If the utility is unable to provide you with a solution, click the "Create Zip File Button" to save a zip file with all the logs and analysis associated to with the install. Please attach that zip to your reply. 

Please keep us posted on the progress. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: natasha.l

Ha! wow, that's a kicker I can't even run that, it pops up with "a software problem has caused Autodesk Installer to close unexpectedly"

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

To Test I have tried to install some other product from 2017 like Artcam and it seemed to go through... so the troubleshooting question might be what is different specifically between a 2016 Autocad and a 2017 Autocad and this "troubleshooter" program that would be prone to crashing the installer (almost immediately) on certain machines

Message 9 of 15
natasha.l

Hello @Anonymous,

That is interesting. It seems that product is not responding to the system. 

Be sure you have prepared the system by running through these steps: 

- Make sure you have an updated graphics card driver go to Control Panel\Device Manager\Display Adapters 

- Operating System has the latest updates

- In Windows Explorer, delete the contents of your Windows Temp folder, but do not delete the Windows Temp folder itself. You can locate the Temp folder by entering %TEMP% in the Search bar of Windows Start

- Temporarily disable antivirus & firewall, use End Task feature to end the anti-virus software that could be running in the background

- If the above does not resolve the issue continue & try Clean Uninstall of the product and downloaded via Autodesk Virtual Agent and install the product again

I hope this resolves the issue. Please keep us informed on your progress. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

I would like to say how wonderful the autodesk community and some of its members have been for answering and attempting to help in this and so quickly!... but alas no dice yet

I have tried the things that were suggested previously before I posted except for hotfixes as the program would have to be installed for hotfixes to work of course!

I have windows 7 SP1 which is the requirement for 2017... doesn't look like they have a SP2

Just tried a heavier program like 3ds max 2017 and the same error is coming up for that... so again, there must be something (at least for the bigger programs) that is different between 2016 and 2017

- Make sure you have an updated graphics card driver go to Control Panel\Device Manager\Display Adapters 

- Operating System has the latest updates

- Update your product with the latest service pack or Hotfixes by visiting the Autodesk website

- In Windows Explorer, delete the contents of your Windows Temp folder, but do not delete the Windows Temp folder itself. You can locate the Temp folder by entering %TEMP% in the Search bar of Windows Start

- Temporarily disable antivirus & firewall, use End Task feature to end the anti-virus software that could be running in the background

- If the above does not resolve the issue continue & try Clean Uninstall of the product and downloaded via Autodesk Virtual Agent and install the product again

Message 11 of 15
natasha.l

Hello @Anonymous, 

Please run through these steps, we will need some more information. Please locate your Windows TEMP folder. You can do this by going to the Windows Start > type Run in the search box (shortcut Win.key+R) and typing %TEMP% into the box and clicking OK. 

Sort by Date or Name and find the Autodesk product and save the installation .log file. Please attach this log file to your reply.

This will help us determine the possible issue preventing you from installing your software. 

Note: Log files sometimes contain private information such as *serial numbers, please remove this information.

Thank you. 

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Hello I went through and uninstalled and deleted all references to any autodesk products and any files/directories all C++ and .net (although I had to reinstall 4.62 .net framework) Upgraded my graphics card to a quadropro FX5800, deleted reg keys, ect... and still it crashes almost immediately on install

although... maybe look at where it says video driver info... does that seem right

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<CERInfo ClientVersion="4">
<ProcessInfo/>
<UserInfo SerialNum="###-########" ComputerName="3DPSYCHO-PC" UserCanBeContacted="no"><UserName value=""/>
<UserPhone value=""/>
<UserEmail value=""/>
<UserSubscription userId="" macID="{(maskedout)}"/>
<ErrorDescription AllowRT="1" CrashID="{BB5DB9DF-2D89-404D-A940-51855FF02379}" CrashDate="2/21/2017"/>
<Metrics WaitDur="10000" RequiredSend="0" CalendarUptime="0"/>
</UserInfo>
<upipackage/>
<OSInfo KernelReleaseNum="23403" KernelBuildNum="7601" KernelMinorVersion="1" KernelMajorVersion="6" SuiteFlags="300" ServicePackMinor="0" ServicePackMajor="1" CSDVersion="Service Pack 1" PlatformId="2" BuildNumber="7601" MinorVersion="1" MajorVersion="6"/>
<LocaleInfo>
<LocalUserDefault ICountry="1" ILanguage="0409" IDefaultCountry="1" IDefaultLanguage="0409" IDefaultCodepage="437" IDefaultAnsiCodepage="1252"/>
<LocalSystemDefault ICountry="1" ILanguage="0409" IDefaultCountry="1" IDefaultLanguage="0409" IDefaultCodepage="437" IDefaultAnsiCodepage="1252"/>
</LocaleInfo>
<WininetInfo WininetReleaseNum="18538" WininetBuildNum="9600" WininetMinorVersion="00" WininetMajorVersion="11"/>
<MC3Info userId="" sessionId=""/>
<ProductInformation registry_localeID="1033" product_key="#####" bundle_name="Autodesk® AutoCAD® 2017" ui_language="en-us" build_version="10.0.36.0" name="Autodesk Installer"/>
<AppCDATA>
<![CDATA[]]>
</AppCDATA>
<DxDiagInfo>
<SystemInformation><OperatingSystem>
<![CDATA[64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.161011-0600)]]>
</OperatingSystem>
<Language>
<![CDATA[English (Regional Setting: English)]]>
</Language>
<SystemManufacturer>
<![CDATA[n/a]]>
</SystemManufacturer>
<SystemModel>
<![CDATA[n/a]]>
</SystemModel>
<BIOS>
<![CDATA[n/a]]>
</BIOS>
<Processor>
<![CDATA[n/a (8 CPUs)]]>
</Processor><SystemMemory>
<![CDATA[12288MB RAM]]>
</SystemMemory>
<PageFile>
<![CDATA[2869MB used, 21608MB available]]>
</PageFile>
<FullDirectXVersion>
<![CDATA[DirectX 11]]>
</FullDirectXVersion>
<DxDiagVersion>
<![CDATA[6.01.7601.17514]]>
</DxDiagVersion>
</SystemInformation>
<GraphicsDeviceInfo>
<DirectXVersion>
<![CDATA[10.0]]>
</DirectXVersion>
<DDIVersion>
<![CDATA[10]]>
</DDIVersion>
<DDIVersionNumber>
<![CDATA[a]]>
</DDIVersionNumber>
<DxDiagWHQLLevel>
<![CDATA[0]]>
</DxDiagWHQLLevel>
<DriverSignedValid>
<![CDATA[False]]>
</DriverSignedValid>
<DriverSigned>
<![CDATA[False]]>
</DriverSigned>
<Manufacturer>
<![CDATA[]]>
</Manufacturer>
<ChipType>
<![CDATA[]]>
</ChipType>
<DACType>
<![CDATA[]]>
</DACType>
<GraphicsHWMemory>
<![CDATA[4095 MB]]>
</GraphicsHWMemory>
<DisplayMode>
<![CDATA[1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)]]>
</DisplayMode>
<VendorID>
<![CDATA[0x10DE]]>
</VendorID>
<DeviceID>
<![CDATA[0x05FD]]>
</DeviceID>
<SubSystemID>
<![CDATA[0x059310DE]]>
</SubSystemID>
<RevisionID>
<![CDATA[0x00A1]]>
</RevisionID><GraphicsDriverFile>
<![CDATA[]]>
</GraphicsDriverFile>
<DriverFileVersion>
<![CDATA[]]>
</DriverFileVersion><DriverDate>
<![CDATA[]]>
</DriverDate>
<WHQLLevel>
<![CDATA[0]]>
</WHQLLevel>
</GraphicsDeviceInfo></DxDiagInfo>
<VideoDriverInfo>
<ATIPackagingVersion>
<![CDATA[No value found]]>
</ATIPackagingVersion></VideoDriverInfo>
</CERInfo>

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

After all of doing intensive "fixes" for weeks now, I have found that even though I had the latest "roll-up" patches for windows 7 that upgrading to windows 10 (just an upgrade did it, no need for a clean install) took care of all the horridness that was causing even old versions of autocad from installing or running (different versions got to different points, but none actually functioned)... apparently whatever autodesk throughout the years integrated my system so much it could not be cleaned out thoroughly enough (there was 1000's of registry references I just could not fully get through that the "uninstalls" did not cleanup).  Wish everyone luck who like me had completely exhausted all other options.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

autodeskOperatingAsNormal.png

I know I'm late to the party here but I have the same problem! Stupid tool crashes. At what point do you guys actually care about development over profits?

Message 15 of 15
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

@Anonymous wrote:

what point do you guys actually care about development over profits?

We the users have nothing to do with development of Autodesk products.  This is mainly a peer to peer network where users assist other users like yourself.  Smiley Wink

Your issue is simply related to having too much "stuff" in your personal temp (%temp%) folder.  However you don't need to run the AIDA..  Just

post your installation log file  we can review it.   What Autodesk product and version are your trying to install?  What issue are you faced with?

Posting info: Sometimes the installation log file contains the serial # that was assigned to you.  Open your log file using Windows Notepad and perform a search on "/SN".  Depending on the number of installation attempts, your serial # may be located throughout the log file.  If present, remove or "X" out your serial # prior to posting.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report