Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Installation & Licensing Webinar Feedback

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
philip.s
8232 Views, 32 Replies

Autodesk Installation & Licensing Webinar Feedback

WEBINAR_I&L.png

On behalf of the Autodesk Installation & Licensing team we would like to thank you for attending one of our webinars!

We would love to hear any and all feedback that you are willing to provide. Interested in learning more about an Installation & Licensing topic that isn't listed on our upcoming webinar page? Have follow up questions or comments from a previously viewed webinar? Want to inquire about being a guest speaker? Particular elements that you want to see more or less of? Your input is greatly appreciated!

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
dembkod
in reply to: philip.s

Hello All,

Thank you to those who attended this week's Webinar and for the feedback and questions. I am posting the information here so it is searchable and findable by other users that may find the information useful. I have two sections, Tips and Questions. 

Thank you for taking part in our community!

A Few Tips from this Webinar:

License Service Name:

When you name your license service in LMTOOLS, name it something you can recognize. The Default is “FlexLM Service 1”. Change this and name it something recognizable like “Autodesk Licenses”. Considering you may only work with the license manager once or twice a year, you don’t want to rely on memorizing this service name and what it is for. If someone else were to look at the services running on the server, you don’t want someone to accidentally see the service "FlexLM Service 1" and cancel it because they don’t know what it’s for. 

If you name the service something easily identifiable, it will make working with the server easier.   

Difference between LICPATH.LIC and a .LIC license file:

LICPATH.LIC – is a pointer file that helps programs look to a specific server for a network license. It is a simple text file that lists your server name (or IP) in the middle of the top line of the file. This does NOT contain licenses or your license information.

LICENSE_FILE.LIC – Is a license file and resides (usually) in the folder where your LMTOOLS installation is deposited. It can be named whatever you would like, as long as it has a .LIC extension. Users usually incorporate the year in the filename so it is easily identified from year to year.

A Few Questions from this Webinar:

Q: Is it better to use IPV4 or IPV6 License Manager?

A: If your machine is configured to utilize IPV6, you should install the IPV6 version. The IPV4 version will install, but the IPV6 version is better configured for this environment. 

Only install the IPV4 version on an IPV6 environ as a troubleshooting step for organizations experiencing troubles with IPV6 versions that have not had success and have tested other likely problems. (rare)

Q: How do I comment my License file?

A: Licenses can be commented with notes using a simple # symbol before your text.

#This is a comment in my license file

Open the license file in a text editor and enter a carriage return before the license section you want to comment, or after, and place a # and whatever text you would like following. If you have multiple rows of comments, you will need one at the start of each line.

PACKAGE licenses offer PRIOR use and contain 2 sections, a PACKAGE and an INCREMENT. Do not break up these sections. Place a return and comment before the PACKAGE component or after the very end of the INCREMENT section.

If you have just an INCREMENT license, you can comment with a return before the section, or after the bottom of the section.

Q: The "License Parser" tool has been there a while. It looks like a hacker / phishing site. Will it be improved?

A: Good feedback. This will be forwarded for review, certainly.

Q: What is the HTTP path to check connection to a server?

A: You can do this quick test using Microsoft Internet Explorer. Type the following into the browser:

http://your-server-name:2080

http://your-server-name:27000

*:  Replace your-server-name with your actual server name.

The default port values are:

2080      -> adskflex port

27000    -> lmgrd port

Result in the URL should be should be similar to the following:

Wê-60Wê-60Wê-60Wê-60Wê-60Wê-60

If you get no response or an error message, it means the license service is either not running or there is a firewall blocking the communication to the port.

Q: What Ports can be edited in a license file?

A: In a license file you can change the 2080 port to a different port (the need for this is rare). Just change the value, save, stop and restert the service.

More common is to bind the license file to a specific port. This can alleviate conflicts with licensing of other products.  On the top line of the License file, after the MAC address enter a space and a port. The default is 27000 and our products will naturally try to use 27000-27009. In cases like this I would simply put 27005 and save the file. Then stop the license service and start it again.

Q: Is ordering licenses in license file still important?

A: Not in terms of how licenses are distributed. Licenses will be doled out according to the cascading sequence and rearranging a file will not change this. Ordering the file would be useful for users that want to arrange their licenses in a more visually recognizable order. (cluster the AutoCADS, cluster the suites).

If you rearrange your license file, make sure to include all the parts of the licenses you are arranging. 

Q: Can we run more than 2 services, adskflex service more than 2 at a time ?

A: You can only run one Autodesk Service at a time. Your licenses should be combined into one license file and that file run in one service. This is by design of the licensing technology. 

Q: Can we configure each product license to run as a service? For example, I have PDS 2015 and FDS 2015. Can I configure them to run as 2 separate services?

A: No. The licensing schema requires them to run under one service in a combined license file.

Q: Can multiple NLM's be run on the same server?

A: Yes, just not multiple Autodesk services. The Flexlm technology is used by different companies for different purposes. The different products would use different licenses, have different listed services, and each point to different licensing kernels (LMGRD.exe)

Q: When do all existing product licenses HAVE to be recreated when new product licenses added (requesting and combining 20 licenses takes time!)

A: Yes, it can take time. When you receive a license for a new Product, if it is on subscription, you will receive a PACKAGE license that allows the current version of the software and three prior versions to open. If you are using products past this range, you must get a new license file created to compensate for the prior versions. These should be created on the same date as the new license. 

Q: Any best practices for creating a network license file that includes 2011/2010 legacy licenses?

A: Have all your serial numbers ready to go, identify the versions that you need, and create the licenses at the same time. 

Q: As the FlexNet vendor no longer has downloads of lmgrd, lmutil and lmtools on their webside will Autodesk keep them on their site when there comes updates?

A: The version shipped with our products is available in our various installers and is available on our website for download. We will certainly make this technology available to users.

Q: Can we buy license from the other countries  and use them in another country ? For example, I buy a license in Thailand and use them in Singapore ?

A: There is no easy answer to this. Different countries have different import/export rules and licensing restrictions. It is possible that this is not possible in your region. Refer to your software reseller for limitations you may experience. 

Q: Are there license alternatives for the "samreport" licensing report tool?

A: Tools do exist. Some of them are: “JTB FlexReport LT” or “OpenLM”

Q: Does the NLM perform home calling to Autodesk?

A: No. It just operates on your server machine

Thank you for all the questions!

David Dembkoski
Message 3 of 33
TravisNave

How did I miss this opportunity to argue with you? 

Smiley Very Happy

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 33
DarrenP
in reply to: TravisNave

there is another one tomorrow on license files

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 33
david.lau
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks for everyone that attended our seminar.  Here are the questions and answers from the session...

Q: Is Akamai still necessary after installation? Akamai is installed and does not go away automatically..
A: Browser Download is best method.  No Akamai is used.  You can remove it from the Control Panel.

Q: I assume that "Install now" has no feature to "Repair" a damaged installation?
A: I have not tested this it.

Q: How to remove a license from a destroyed PC?
A: Need to know serial number, reinstall the software and  re-activate it.  http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2012/05/general-licensing-getting-an-activation-code-manu...

Q: Have you seen any lingering effects of Autodesk product usage from SearchProtect once it's been removed?
A: http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2014/09/removing-malware-search-protect.html

You have been hit with Malware.  You have some work to do to fix and repair your computer.

Q: Can I get a copy of this presentation?
A: Presentation: https://autodesk.box.com/upandreadyiq3

Q: Can we not install .NET if our company has it installed by default? This will save time and trouble
A: The installer should skip .NET option.  Maybe only issue is if software is newer.  You can also hack setup.ini for .NET.  For example AutoCAD 2012 uses .NET 4.0 and not .NET 4.5.

Q: Many times we face Communication Errors while downloading product using Install now option?
A: Please use Browser Download Option.  Some known issues are noted here:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-C...

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2014/07/quick-start-communication-failure-with-install-no...

Q: I go to Autodesk certified hardware for particular nVidia card and it lists a driver to download. I go to nVidia's website and the driver is always newer than the Autodesk certified driver. Is there an advantage to using the Autodesk driver?
A: I prefer to use a certified driver from Autodesk first.  If you are having problems, then upgrade the video driver.  It is easier to upgrade a video driver than downgrade.  The workflow I use to downgrade  is this:  http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2013/08/tip-reinstalling-a-video-driver.html.
A: More info is here:  http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2014/07/autocad-2015-dell-m6800-slow-video-performance.ht...

Q: One issue I've had with AutoCAD 2015 is very slow redraw speed when moving/copying a selection set. Trying to find a solution with video card. Always use the latest driver. Doesn't seem to help. Ideas?

A: For this issue, I would double check hardware first.  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112 and confirm that the video card is certified.  This is a new site as well.  http://hardware.autodesk.com/.

The next thing is to adjust 3dconfig settings. 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...

3rd party software can be problematic too.  http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2013/04/autocad-spacenavigator-for-notebooks-freezes-the-...

Q: Can you talk about removing a license from a PC?

A: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...

Q: The correct answer is 5, Virtual Assistant
A: I agree that it should be 5 but Virtual Agent is really a browser download.  We use it all the time.

Q: Agreed, and yet more successful than Browser Download.
A: The upandready blog site is like a bookmark site for me.  One stop shop for everything. 

Q: A helpful hint, I had a corrupt installation of a suite package where I could not get a piece of the suite installed. It thought it was already installed. Using the MS Fixit tool helped this situation A LOT!
A: Thanks, we use Microsoft Fix it a lot.

Q: For workspace... I had a complete Plant design suite installation and our user had a tough time trying to find P&ID. The response I got was it is included as a workspace with in the suite.
A: http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2012/08/where-is-autocad-pid-in-the-autocad-plant-design-...

David Lau
Message 6 of 33
avto
in reply to: david.lau

Q: We are having an issue with cascading, it seems when all of our vanilla licenses are in use, in order to pull a vanilla seat from one of our more expensive suites, and it takes a long time to find the license. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

A: This could be caused by your network license server model and license cascading sequence.

e.g. If you have distributed license server model and in your network license files contain only Building Design Suite 2015 license and launching AutoCAD 2015, AutoCAD 2015 needs to go through 24 iterations based on AutoCAD 2015 license cascading sequence on each of your network license server to obtain a license. This can take some time.

2015: Cascading sequences for Autodesk products

Q: Could you explain further about cheap and expensive licenses?

A: Cheaper license, e.g. ACAD, expensive license e.g. Building Design Suite. I would recommend referring to the cascading sequence of Autodesk software when combining multiple Autodesk product network license in a single network license.

Q: If I have an AutoCAD 2014 license file and a second AutoCAD 2015 license file, can these be combined?

A: If you have AutoCAD 2014 and 2015 PACKAGE license, you cannot combine them in one file, but if one of your AutoCAD licenses is INCREMENT (a license specific to the version of your AutoCAD only) and another is a package license, then you can combined them in one license file.

Q: Is there an offline-version of License File Parser?

A: License File Parser is an online tool only.

Q: "Comments and File": What is the span that a single "#" will define as a comment? One line? One paragraph? One "caption"?

A: # sign in the beginning of a line in a network license file defines a comment on that line only.

Q: Is it possible to force an IDSP license to be pulled before a BDSP license using AutoCAD?

A: License cascading sequence is built in in AutoCAD and it cannot be altered.

Q: If a user opens AutoCAD and it pulls an AutoCAD license, then the user open Navisworks and it pulls a BDSP license will it drop the AutoCAD license?

A: Yes, if your network license file contains AutoCAD point product license and BDSP license, when you open AutoCAD, it will first check out AutoCAD point product license (assuming its available). Then when Navisworks is launched, AutoCAD will return AutoCAD point product license and use BDSP license along with Navisworks (assuming both products AutoCAD and Navisworks are the same version). After this if Navisworks is closed, AutoCAD will keep BDSP license.

Q: Do you have a youTube video of last weeks webinar?

A: https://autodesk.box.com/upandreadyiq1

Q: To check cascading on the local workstation I needed to set the FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS variable to 3.

A: Yes.  Increasing verbosity of FLEXlm errors.

Q:Questions - Do I create this variable for the User or System? And how do I view the results?

A: FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS you need to set at the system variable level, then when you start your network licensed Autodesk product you will see interactive info messages, which will let you know which product feature code and the license path your product is looking for a license. If your Autodesk software obtains its original (point product license) on the first try, you will not see these info messages.

FLEXnet feature codes for Autodesk products: 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012

Q: Which IPv version is shipped by default on the product media?

A: IPv4

Q: "Check for cascading on the local workstation" what exactly does that mean? Is this a troubleshooting step? Like, a user isn't getting a license correctly or something?

A: It’s a troubleshooting process for understanding where your Autodesk product is looking for its license. This basically meant to set up FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS environment variable to 3.

Q: The license parser doesn't always work well for us and doesn't show the features that are available in the Suites - will the Suites be supported sometime?  

A: The license parser is a script that reads your network license file, identifies license feature codes in it and displays it in much more readable format as a web page. It will identify a suite feature code and will display the suite name, but not the list of Autodesk products included with the suite.

Q: How do I combine license files currently hosted on 2 different license managers into a single location on FLexLM? Specifically, we have 30 seats for Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium on one and 5 seats of Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium on another, how do I combine them so that I have a single license file that has 35 licenses total.

A: You need to generate your licenses on the same MAC address of the licensed server of your choice. Then you append one license string to another and combine them in the same license file.

Q: How is it best to control licenses when you have engineers all over the country and occasionally travel all over the world.

A: You can create an option file to control license borrowing time and let your engineers borrow a product license from your network license server.

How to control network license access using an options file.

Q: Is there a way to see who is using what license currently as the engineers have to use different versions to be compatible with other apps like CADWorX.

A: You can check current license usage by performing License Status Enquiry (Lmtools > Server Status > Perform Status Enquiry). It will show the user name, the system name and the product feature code currently in use. Please note that if you have an Autodesk Suite license, you will see the suite license usage along the version of the suite license used, but you may not be able to see the specific suite product used (e.g. ACAD 2015 from BDSP 2015, you will see BDSP license in the report, but will not be able to determine if the end user is using ACAD 2015, Revit 2015, MEP 2015 or other Autodesk 2015 version software included with the suite.)

Q: Is it correct that when a client is using a Suite each application opened will grab a license?

A: In general each version of the suite product will need the version specific suite license. For example if you are running Building Design Suite Premium 2015, AutoCAD 2015 and Revit 2015 and AutoCAD Architecture 2015 when run on the SAME computer will only use 1 license. However, if you open AutoCAD 2015, Revit 2014 and AutoCAD Architecture 2013, on the same system or different systems, 3 suite licenses will be used up.

Q: But there are always exceptions, Run AutoCAD 2012 and Revit 2012 and it will consume 2 licenses if you only have a BDSP 2014 packaged license.

A: Known issue with AutoCAD 2012. Need to install it in BDSP version of AutoCAD.

Understanding Cascade Licensing for Autodesk Products.

Understanding Previous Version support for Autodesk Suite products.

Previous Version Eligible Product List.

Q: Also any issues I should be aware of when using a redundant server setup?

A: Make sure to update everything to 11.12 NLM. Stop start server in order. The primary one is always FIRST.

Q: Can we get the PowerPoint presentation with all these links in it after the webinar?

A: https://autodesk.box.com/upandreadyiq2

Regards,

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 33
cadraktiv
in reply to: avto

Hi

where to find the recordings for webinar "Power skills for network deployment", October 23?

Thanks

Peter

Message 8 of 33
avto
in reply to: cadraktiv

Power Skills for Network Deployment

Regards,

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 33
avto

Q: Using a deployment to install, is the log file created by the deployment and saved to the deployment log folder, the setup log file?

A: Yes, during a deployment creation you have an option to specify the location where you would like deployment logs to be created, the default location is LOGS folder in your deployment network share.

Q: This is the 5th webinar in the series? Were they recorded? If so, where can I find the previous 4?

A: Below are links to each webinar PPT slides and recording.

Boost your Autodesk Network Licensing IQ, recording.

https://autodesk.box.com/upandreadyiq1

Boost your Autodesk License File IQ, recording

https://autodesk.box.com/upandreadyiq2

Boost your Autodesk Installation IQ, recording

https://autodesk.box.com/upandreadyiq3

Power Skills for Network Deployment, recording

https://autodesk.box.com/upandreadyiq4

Build Your Autodesk Installation Log IQ, recording.

https://autodesk.box.com/upandreadyiq5 

Q: Does your anti-virus needs to be shutoff during the product installation?

A: Yes, during your Autodesk software installation we recommend disabling a running antivirus.

Q: Where is the setup and install logs located?

A: In the TEMP folder of the user who is installing the product.

Q: We install with deployment images from the Autodesk creation wizard and push them with Group Policy upon computer boot up.  When the install is pushed, there is not a user logged in, where would the logs be located then?

A: in system TEMP folder, C:\Windows\TEMP

Q: If the SP was included in a deployment, would it be included in the deployment's setup log?

A: Yes

Q: I have never had an installation problem until 2015.  If I install Civil 3D on Computer as UserA, everything installs and runs fine.  When I then log into ComputerA as UserB, it runs the secondary installer.  Everything appears to go correctly, but when it starts Civil 3D it reports missing files.  The only solution for UserB from Autodesk support is to manually copy files to the users profile before running the first time.  Are there log files I can look at that would tell me why the secondary installer is failing?

A: Unfortunately that is a known issue, with C3D 2015, below is the link to an Autodesk KB article regarding this

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticle...

Regards,

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 33
dembkod

Questions from Boost your Installation Troubleshooting Knowledge

Q: How important are System Requirements?

A: Very important. Programs have specific needs and the system being used needs to meet those needs. Upgrading to new operating systems as soon as they arrive is usually not a good idea. Software could work just fine on the new OS, but if our product released in the spring and the Operating System released in the fall- our software cannot necessarily compensate for the changes.

Older software designed for completely different operating systems are usually problematic on newer ones. As of this posting- Windows XP and Windows Vista are retired by Microsoft.

Q: How do you disable Windows UAC and do you need to Reboot?

A: The easiest way to disable Windows UAC is to type UAC in the Windows Run box and press enter. Move the slider to the bottom and reboot the system to let the changes take effect.

Q: What would be the effect of not having the Microsoft C++ Redistributables installed?

A: They ultimately need to be installed. You can avoid trying to install them by commenting out the Setup.ini file -if you are clashing on install. You will still need them installed on the system. You can manually install them after, if you need. The installers will be in the 3rd Party \ VCredist folder in the installation files.

Q: When cleaning temp files do you empty the  %TEMP% location or the C:\Windows\Temp\ location, or both?

A: The %TEMP% location is where the installers are referring. 

Q: How big a concern is Bandwidth for installations?

A: You need to have a sufficient pipe for downloading large data files. If you are using the “Install Now” method of installation, you are streaming an installer locally. It will need a decent pipe.

Q: What is the best way to update video drivers?

A: Access the manufacturer’s Website and run their auto scan utility. The two card manufacturers are AMD and Nvidia. Each offers a scan tool. Laptops with integrated cards may need to go to the laptop manufacturer’s website for custom drivers.

David Dembkoski
Message 11 of 33
avto

Questions from Boost your knowledge with Autodesk Prerequisites

Q. Should you download the latest version of vide drivers or the certified drivers by Autodesk

A. If you already have the latest driver, I would keep it unless you encounter some graphic related issues with the program, and if you do then uninstall and install the certified drivers.

www.autodesk.com/hardware

Q. What are versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable required for a particular version of AutoCAD?

A. You can find all needed Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable in setup.ini and 3rdParty folder of the product installer.

AutoCAD 2015

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable (x64)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable (x64)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) Update 4

Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) Update 4

AutoCAD 2014

AutoCAD 2013

AutoCAD 2012

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x86)

Regards,

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 33
asburyj

Questions from Troubleshooting Desktop Subscription License Issues

Q. What happens when the software is launched? What connections is it making for licensing?

A. If the product is able to make a connection to the Autodesk license servers and the license is still valid then the needs are met. A sign in will not be required for another 14 days.

Q. Why not the "Download Now" option?  why do you recommend "Browser Download" over "Download Now"?

A. Either option is valid. The "Install Now" streams the download so the installer begins immediatly but is only good for one install, you cannot archive that installer or reuse it. If you do a download now or a browser download you download a full installer that is reusable. Some browser secuirty settings will block the download manager used by the download now, if that is the case the browser download is recommended. 

Q. Can desktop subscription licenses be switching from one user to another? What about moving a desktop subscription from one pc to another?

A.  Licenses can be added and removed from user accounts at any time using the "Manage Users" interface to edit thier access. As soon as the entitlement is removed from a user account they will not longer be able to login to thier software  and the entitlement will be available to assign to a different user. The desktop subscription licenses are tied to the user account only, not the PC so no special action is needed when switch from one PC to another as long as the user is only logged in to one session at a time. 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/topics/account-management/subscription-management/users-permissions/ad...

Jeffry Asbury
Message 13 of 33
ahaedrich
in reply to: asburyj

Hi Jeffry,

thanks for the webinar yesterday.

Unfortunately, I can not access the data from "autodesk.box.com/upandreadyiq12", it will require an Autodesk login. - What's the matter?

Look at Screenshot:

Zugang.PNG

Is there a mistake? 
The data of the earlier webinars such as “upandreadyiq2” (and all other) are accessible without login...

Thanks for your help.

Yours sincerely

Angelika

Message 14 of 33
avto
in reply to: ahaedrich

Hi Angelika,

I just corrected permissions to the Troubleshooting Desktop Subscription share folder on Box, could you please check the link below?

https://autodesk.app.box.com/upandreadyiq12

Regards,

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 15 of 33
andrinoc

WE bought two licenses and none of us can open Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2015.  The first one reads that I am not an authorized user.  it is very difficult to reach a live person, and i am getting frustrated.  Attached are the screen pictures of what I get. Please help.

Aleida

Message 16 of 33
asburyj
in reply to: andrinoc

Have you confirmed your network license server is running correctly? Can you reply here with a copy of the debug log file from the license server? 

You will find its location in LMTOOLS on the Config Services Tab, Path to the debug log file text box.

Jeffry Asbury
Message 17 of 33
DarrenP
in reply to: andrinoc

@andrinoc wrote:

WE bought two licenses and none of us can open Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2015.  The first one reads that I am not an authorized user.  it is very difficult to reach a live person, and i am getting frustrated.  Attached are the screen pictures of what I get. Please help.

Aleida

did you update your license manager to 11.12?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 18 of 33
ahaedrich

Hello and Good Morning Avto,

now the Link will work properly - many thanks.

Download is OK.

Best regards from Germany
Angelika

Message 19 of 33
asburyj
in reply to: asburyj

Questions from Open Floor for questions

Q. Is the TIMEOUT feature set up in the options file,  when it claims inactive session, does it actually "kills" the user session?

A. License timeout can be configured in the ADSKFLEX.opt options file. Using the formatting below

TIMEOUT [productfeature] [seconds]

TIMEOUTALL [seconds]

Users will be given the option to save their current drawing if a license is revoked by the license manager for inactivity. Time is specified in seconds and the lowest acceptable value for these options is 900 seconds (15 minutes).

Q. When installing ADMS 2015, does it instal IIS if IIS is not installed on the server?

A. If IIS is not enabled on the server already the ADMS 2015 installed will install/enable it automatically during the install process. 

Q. When I create a Network deployment, where is the license server name saved?  I want/need to be able to edit a file to change the server name?

A.  The license server name is stored in the MST file. (in the IMG folder it will have the name of the product.mst) The supported method of changing this value is to use the "Create or modify deployment" link in the tools subfolder however if you are an advaced user you can use microsofts MSI editing tool called ORCA to modify the MST/MSI. More info on ORCA Here

Q. Will autodesk support flex net publisher?

A. Autodesk has not plans to support any licensing manager untility except for LMTOOLS. 

Q. Can we generate our own Network LIC files?

A. Yes! Here is the process http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Q. What is the method for updating the network license server?

A. The process is outlined in the following article http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Upgradi...

Q.Is there any way to know which product from within a Suite is calling a license?  

A. Unfortunately no, the license server only records which feature was checked out, not the product that requested the feature. In the case of suites there isn't a way to tell from logging which product requested the suite feature. 

Jeffry Asbury
Message 20 of 33
dembkod

Q: Do I really need to turn off Antivirus for an install?

A: Do you necessarily NEED to, no, built certainly can be a block to an installation. Flat out, Antivirus can stop an installation and never pop up and Antivirus message telling you what it is doing. Some AV solutions simply squash processes from running and never tell you.

Turning off AV before you install is usually the best way to prevent this. In some rare cases you may need to uninstall AV, if you cannot fully turn off.

Q: How important are System Requirements?

A: Requirements are what are tested and suggested. Could you get away with more? Certainly. Could you get away with less? Possibly. If you are not using 3d modelling or large files, or if you have an integrated graphics card as opposed to a dedicated chipset, you may work just fine. Basically, you would need to test. Download a trial and give it a go.

If the system is flat out incompatible, in most cases, the installer will tell you and prevent you from installing.

Also, not all programs have a 32 bit version and you cannot force a 64 bit installer to run on a 32 bit OS.

Q: There are multiple versions of downloads/installs. What is the best route?

A: In terms of downloads, "Install now" should work just fine for most single install cases. If you are building a deployment, "Browser" download is usually the best option as the files are compressed and portable.

If you are running into any installation issues, switch to Browser download and download compressed files. Why? If you are already producing a negative with an "install now", you could certainly try to troubleshoot the issue but now we're talking about troubleshooting the process of the download manager and internet settings and possibly antivirus or security settings... which basically means you are not troubleshooting a failed installation, you are troubleshooting the delivery method of the failed install.

If you have already produced a negative, switch types to try and produce a positive. In our case you're downloading some pretty large files. Why retry to download the whole product and fail again? If you get a good browser download, it's a complete file and you should not have to download again.

When downloading - Suites have multiple files. You need all of them. As a general rule, all your files will be the exact same size, except the last file which will be smaller. If you have one file out of sync, you need to redownload that part.

Also, before you download, make sure you select the correct suite product. Building Design Suite is not AutoCAD Design suite. The mistake can be a 15 gig download f wasted time.If you are getting a bonafide failed download, disconnect from wireless and use a cable into the wall or switch machines and retry.

Q: Can you switch Network installs to Standalone?

A: Your best option is to uninstall and reinstall. There is no easy switch. Some of the core AutoCADs may be switchable by a registry key, but it is easier to uninstall and reinstall:

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2014/04/acad-2015-how-to-change-license-type-from-standal...

Q: Does a “Batch file” install rely on a Setup package or a deployment image?

A: Could be either. You could build a deployment and create a batch file to trigger the exe of the deployment, or build a batch file for the plain full installer, though this requires a more complex batch file.

In the Autocad help file if you search on “Batch File” and “Sample Batch File” you will find instructions and samples.

David Dembkoski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report