Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Enables Messaging to Safeguard Customers Against Non-Compliant Product Overuse

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
noelle.ruiz3WEKH
2460 Views, 15 Replies

Autodesk Enables Messaging to Safeguard Customers Against Non-Compliant Product Overuse

UPDATED: Effective June 20, 2023

Starting June 20th, Autodesk will enable messaging for users who may attempt to run a single product subscription on more than two devices simultaneously. The message will prompt users to pause the session on the other device or sign in as a different user.  

This capability was enabled for Inventor and Civil 3D in February and will now be enabled for other Autodesk products on June 20th.

Why is Autodesk making this change?

We expect these notifications to provide improved transparency and safeguards against non-compliant product overuse per our existing subscription licensing policy.

What products will this impact? 

• Most named user desktop products. Some product exclusions apply. 
  • All desktop operating systems 
  • Product versions 2020 and newer 

How do I prepare? Before June 20th, assign existing subscriptions to specific users rather than having them use a shared log in. If you need to purchase new subscriptions to ensure each user has their own login, do so before June 20th to avoid interruption. 

If you have any questions, please contact your Autodesk representative, or post your question below.

Learn more about this update HERE. 

Noelle Ruiz

GTM Communications
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

@noelle.ruiz3WEKH, Good step..!!

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Please use the Accept Solution button to mark any posts that provide the answer or solution. 

Likes are always welcome.

LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook.      

Message 3 of 16

@noelle.ruiz3WEKH 

How long?   I use 3 devices for support sometimes bouncing between them. So if I'm recovering a file, I might have to use my other PC.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 4 of 16

Hopefully this doesn't lead to more licensing issues....  Bad enough the License Time out errors and the other 10 versions of the Licensing Manager improperly install generic message. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
AnkushVed
in reply to: mdavis22569

Hi Michael, 

The in-product messaging workflow is not prohibiting users from using the product on different machines, it will only help ensure that users can pause a remote device in case they are attempting to launch the product on another device concurrently - thus helping to prevent concurrent use on multiple devices - but not preventing the flexibility of using product on different machines with their named-user identity. 

Hope this information helps. 

Thanks,

Ankush

Ankush Ved
Product Manager, Autodesk Licensing
Message 6 of 16

Dear Autodesk,

I received an e-mail from Jake Mottershead of Autodesk claiming that GMA Architecture Ltd the company I work for has activated Autodesk products with invalid serial numbers and has overused products outside of purchase entitlement. Nothing could be further from the truth. He went on to request £17.280 for the purchase of a 3 year subscription license in order to resolve the issue.  

I very much doubt this message is authentic and is most likely a scam however to be on the safe side, would this be the format for resolving such non-compliance?  

I attached a screenshot of the e-mail.  

Yours sincerely

Peter Akran.

Message 7 of 16
DarrenP
in reply to: PeterAkran

That seems legit to me it's from an @Anonymous email

Confirmed he is also an autodesk employee: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jake-mottershead-21b3bb106

I would discuss this with your reseller about this

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 8 of 16
pendean

@PeterAkran wrote:

Dear Autodesk,

I received an e-mail from Jake Mottershead of Autodesk...

Its real, not a scam  https://www.linkedin.com/in/jake-mottershead-21b3bb106/?originalSubdomain=uk 

Don't ignore it, legal action from Autodesk (plus the publicity they deliberately undertake to let your peers know all about it) is lethal to small and medium businesses.

Message 9 of 16

Nice letter. Guilty until proven innocent. Instead of trying to sell a subscription, Autodesk could take a different approach for alleged first offenders. Like offering help to track down those illegal serial numbers and to determine who's overusing a license. And if after a month or so the problem is still not resolved, send a reminder. And if that doesn't work, then send something like this letter.

Offending your clients out of the blue causes unnecessary bad blood and stress.

Message 10 of 16

@Simon_Weel The hammer comes down hard on them ..   My former employer got dinged for $50,000   They tried to fight it. (and lost) 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
pendean
in reply to: Simon_Weel

@Simon_Weel I think the approach is harsh but it's what you and I would do when we are faced with theft too: go ballistic! right? They see it as theft, the approach is heavy handed in response.

I'm not making any excuses what so ever for one side or the other, but more often than not an accusatory forceful email like that tends to be backed up by already verified miss-use of licenses from what I understand from the Autodesk folks I've met over the decades that handle this end of the business.

They do corporate software audits regularly and often to many of us, I wonder if there is more to the story above that we have been privy to here.

Message 12 of 16
Basam.Yousif

It's legit.

I've seen customers receive these emails. Request a zoom call and explain your situation. You might need assistance from a lawyer. Your reseller might be able to help, but not much. They are requested not to get involved.

Message 13 of 16

Learn more about this update HERE

Link doesn't work anymore?

Message 14 of 16
mdavis22569
in reply to: Simon_Weel

@Simon_Weel 

Reported it ... thank you. I've had to share that link a few times recently. 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
santek1
in reply to: noelle.ruiz3WEKH

An update to this topic

Starting June 20th, Autodesk will enable messaging for users who may attempt to run a single product subscription on more than two devices simultaneously. The message will prompt users to pause the session on the other device or sign in as a different user.  

This capability was enabled for Inventor and Civil 3D in February and will now be enabled for other Autodesk products on June 20th.

Why is Autodesk making this change?

We expect these notifications to provide improved transparency and safeguards against non-compliant product overuse per our existing subscription licensing policy.

What products will this impact? 

• Most named user desktop products. Some product exclusions apply. 
  • All desktop operating systems 
  • Product versions 2020 and newer 

How do I prepare? Before June 20th, assign existing subscriptions to specific users rather than having them use a shared log in. If you need to purchase new subscriptions to ensure each user has their own login, do so before June 20th to avoid interruption. 

If you have any questions, please contact your Autodesk representative, or post your question below.

Learn more about this update HERE. 

Katinka Sante
Community Customer Advocacy Sr. Manager

Message 16 of 16
simon.bakovnik
in reply to: santek1

I wonder why the limit is two devices, but in the Terms of use it is limited to one device? With the product open on two devices, I'm already in violation....

Kind regards, Simon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report