Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2014 takes forever to check license

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
matthew.vargo
1255 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2014 takes forever to check license

I have a co-worker who has AutoCAD LT 2014 installed on his Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10.  AutoCAD LT worked fine for about 4 months, but just a week or so ago, the program would get stuck on "Checking License..."  I have tried completely uninstalling and re-installing AutoCAD multiple times, following AutoDesk's knowledge on removing all Autodesk Software, I've ensured that SSL 3.0 is enabled in Internet Explorer, I've ensured that the FLEXnet licensing service was running, I've followed all the instructions listed on this page, and I've even tried installing it as a 30-day trial instead of providing a serial number and key. ...

The only time AutoCAD makes it past the "checking license" phase now is if I launch it when I'm logged on to his PC--except the program IMMEDIATELY closes after it's loaded

What else can I do to get AutoCAD LT 2014 working again? My Co-worker really needs it ASAP, and he's already transferred his license from his old PC to his new Surface.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Otto
in reply to: matthew.vargo

Hello matthew.vargo and welcome to the Autodesk community!

It looks like you want information on Removing All Products from a Windows System. Community members with similar questions found the following article(s) useful:

Removing All Products from a Windows System.

Once your product is fully removed, please re-download the product from our virtual agent.

If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" link, below. Taking a moment to do this will help others with similar questions find useful answers. Thank you!

Kudos (click on the link or the "thumbs-up!" icon), are also gratefully received! (Even a bot likes praise.)

If this answer missed the mark, please let us know so that other community members can lend a hand. Any additional details might help, too: consider including relevant screenshots, log files, error messages, or system specs.

I'm a software-based HelpBot, designed to provide the information you need to get up and running with Autodesk products—any time, day or night. Your feedback will help train me to deliver more accurate and helpful answers. Thanks in advance! Also, please note that I'm only set up to respond to the first post of a topic, not to any replies. Thank you!

Helpful links: Find Serial Numbers and Product Keys | Find Downloads and Service Packs | Activate Autodesk software
Message 3 of 15
matthew.vargo
in reply to: Otto

I know full well how to remove the software--I've already done that AT LEAST 3 or 4 times now.  My issue has NOTHING to do with that--My issue is that AutoCAD LT 2014 won't make it past the "Checking License..." phase when launching the program.  Try actually READING my ENTIRE post before trying to help next time!

Message 4 of 15
natasha.l

Hello @matthew.vargo,

Welcome! Smiley Happy

Sorry for the inconvenience. This may be due to corrupt licensing, internet block, antivirus block, Internet Explorer LAN incorrect setting. 

Try the following series of steps:

-Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet 

-Turn off Antivirus & Firewall and retry

-Enable detect settings 

1. Clear the browser cache
  2. Browse to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Internet Option
  3. In the Advanced tab > Reset button to reset Internet Explorer's settings to the defaults
  4. In the Security tab, select Reset All Zones to Default level
  5. In the Content tab, select Clear SSL state
  6. Select Apply

In the Control Panel >> Internet Options >> Connections tab >> LAN settings >>  Automatically detect settings enabled

Troubleshooting Continued...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Softwa...

Please let me know if this resolved the issue. Thank you. 

"Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolved the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 5 of 15
matthew.vargo
in reply to: natasha.l

The "Enable Detect Settings" steps didn't work.  I wasn't even able to do Step 4 because the "Reset All Zones to Default level" button is grayed out (we're on a domain here).  In addition, I tried everything in the link that was provided before I started this thread. 

Checking License...

Message 6 of 15
natasha.l

Hello @matthew.vargo,

This is related to a windows system settings restrictions managed by the admin of your organization. 

The yellow bar at the bottom of the dialog. "Some settings are managed by your system administrator". This is your clue that you are dealing with Security_HKLM_only. In addition, you can not make modifications to any of the zones, note the Custom level, Default level, and the Reset all zones to default level are grayed out.

Clicking the link labeled "settings" brings up the help file with the following:

Why won't Windows allow me to change a system setting?

If your computer is part of a network at an organization such as a school or a business, your organization's system administrator might have disabled or even removed certain settings by using Group Policy. Group Policy is a feature of Windows that lets system administrators manage users' access to Windows features. If you suspect that Group Policy is preventing you from changing a setting that you need to access, contact your system administrator.

The registry below is not presently set: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
Name: Security_HKLM_only
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1 <-Enabled 0 <-Disabled
By default the value is not present and thus is disabled by default.

Please let us know if you resolved this issue and how you resolved it to help others in the community. 

Message 7 of 15
matthew.vargo

I apologize for the delay, but this co-worker is still having the issue.  For now, he is using AutoCad LT 2014 on his old laptop, while he is using his Surface Pro 4 for everything else.  I got very busy with several other projects, so I had to put this on the backburner for a while.

I had my co-worker use the license transfer utility to try to transfer the license to his new PC.  That didn't work.  I've uninstalled all Autodesk-related software from his Surface, and if I remember correctly, I also cleared out at least several FLEXnet-related files.  (I can't remember if I deleted the entire FLEXnet folder).  I even found the original CD and re-installed AutoCAD LT from it--complete with the original license key--and the program still hangs at "Checking License..."

Since it has been a few months since I looked at it last, I want to make sure that I completely clear all files related to AutoDesk and FLEXnet before attempting to re-install AutoCAD LT again.  Could you provide me with instructions on ensuring that all the AutoDesk-related and FLEXnet-related files are removed before re-installing?

Message 8 of 15
natasha.l

Hello @matthew.vargo,

I understand you are experiencing an issue with checking license portion of the launch. I have included a clean uninstall link that will point out the licensing information folders. 

1. Check the Operating System needed & the latest updates by reviewing the system requirement for the software 

2. Conduct a Clean Uninstall of the program use MSfixitTool to complete the uninstall 
  3. Log in as an Administrator 
  4. Empty your TEMP folder. To open the TEMP folder, type %TEMP% in the address bar of Windows Start Menu and hit Enter 
  5. Temporarily disable your Antivirus software & Firewall
  6. Temporarily disable UAC:  Windows 7 , Windows 10 
  7. Download all of the parts Autodesk Virtual Agent or the CD 

If you continue to have a issue try: 

1. Software hangs at "Checking License" or "Loading"

Let us know how it goes. 

Please "Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolved the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 9 of 15
natasha.l

Hello @matthew.vargo,

I wanted to check-in with you, I hope you were able to resolve the issue. 

Please "Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolved the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 10 of 15
matthew.vargo

I have not had the opportunity to test this solution out yet, but depending on my co-worker's schedule, I should be able to have it done by the end of this week.  I will keep you posted.

Message 11 of 15

I was finally able to set up a time with my co-worker to re-install AutoCAD.  I will post my results later today.

Message 12 of 15

I followed all the instructions that you suggested, and it still hangs at "Checking License".  I even uninstalled/re-installed the Visual C++ libraries, but it still hangs at "Checking license".  This is even after I selected "Try AutoCAD for 30 days" option in setup!

In case this helps, here's a couple of lists showing all the versions of Visual C++ that were installed on my co-worker's PC before and after re-installing Visual C++.

BEFORE:

2008 x64 9.0.21022

2008 x64 9.0.30729...

2008 x64 9.0.37029...  (It got cut off when I took a screenshot of it)

2008 x86 9.0.21022

2008 x86 9.0.30729

2010 x64 10.0.40219

2010 x86 10.0.40219

2013 x64 12.0.21005

2013 x86 12.0.21005

2015 x64 14.0.23026

AFTER:

2005 x64

2008 x64 9.0.30729.17

2008 x86 9.0.30729.17

2010 x64 10.0.40219

2010 x86 10.0.40219

2012 x64 11.0.61030

2012 x86 11.0.61030

2013 x64 12.0.30501

2013 x86 12.0.30501

2015 x64 14.0.23026

2015 x86 14.0.23026

Message 13 of 15
natasha.l

Hello @matthew.vargo,

Unfortunately, the most common resolutions to this issue have been provided and I can see you also tried some of your own that also should have helped but we are trying to install an unsupported product on a Windows 10 system. In some cases, customers have been able to install older product on a newer system and in most cases it does not work.

Windows 10 and .NET 4.6 support for Autodesk products

Message 14 of 15
matthew.vargo

What's odd is that AutoCAD LT DID work for a few months on that Surface, but then stopped one day.  My co-worker suggested that we just go ahead and purchase a newer version anyway, so we'll probably just end up doing that. 

Message 15 of 15
natasha.l

Hello @matthew.vargo,

This has happened before with other customers, they manage to run old software on a newer system then all of a sudden, bam doesn't work. There are several things that could have caused this most likely due to something in your system environment that changed recently. 

Thank you for returning to the community and letting us know what you decided. Wish you luck. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report