Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2016 stuck at "Checking License" in splash screen. Tried everything.

73 REPLIES 73
SOLVED
Message 1 of 74
joearrabal
38404 Views, 73 Replies

Autocad 2016 stuck at "Checking License" in splash screen. Tried everything.

Edit: this problems happens in a standalone install.

I've seen this problem reported in the forums for previous versions of Autocad, but none of the proposed solution worked for me. I installed Autocad 2016 in a new computer without any previous Autocad install. After ~2 months, the program gets stuck in the splash screen showing the message "Checking License". Yes, there are many threads about this out there, but nothing worked for me. 

Let me provide a little more technical detail about this. At some point during the program startup, it starts the "Flexnet Licensing Service" service, spawning a process named FNPLicensingService.exe, and this process hangs. If I kill such process, it seems that Autocad repeatedly starts if again. I also tried to start the service manually and it returns error 1053 (the service does not return the control to the Service Control Manager within 30 seconds). It seems this starts to happen after some time, not sure why. I've checked that FlexNet License Service folder contains files with last write time equal to the date I installed Autocad, which seems logical.

These are the things that I tried:

- Waiting for several hours for the "Checking License" screen to finish.

- Fully uninstalling and reinstalling Autocad

- Disabling antivirus and firewall

- Removing license files under %ProgamData%\Flexnet

- Removing %ProgramData%\Autodesk\AdLm, individual files or the whole folder. 

- Installing from a fresh newly created administrator account. 

- System restore to a restore point where everything worked. 

- Restored %ProgramData%\Autodesk\AdLm and/or %ProgamData%\Flexnet to previous versions. 

Things that I refuse to try because they are atrocities and potentially would hurt my computer:

- Downgrade Internet Explorer version (wtf)

- Formatting PC and start fresh (a coworker states that this happened to him and this is how he solved it)

My system also has Acrobat XI Pro (legal license), don't know if it may be related, and an old install of Autocad 2006, installed with Longbow Converter (the user requested so).

By the way, this happens on Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bits, joined to a domain. PC has Intel i3 processor (can provide more system info if needed/useful).

Please, I beg you, provide a solution for this. I've lost hours of work trying to fix this. Thank you very much.

73 REPLIES 73
Message 41 of 74
jens.thirion
in reply to: bkspring

Dear yuk.wah.cheng,

After trying mulitple fixes during the last months, this finally did the trick for me!

Thank you for posting this fix, I hope it will benefit others as well!

Kind regards

Message 42 of 74
matthew.d
in reply to: j.spierenburg

Hi @j.spierenburg,

Apologies for the trouble. Which graphics card are your using, have you updated it recently? Also have you tried the solution for the component not working here? Could you give us more details about your setup?

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 43 of 74
j.spierenburg
in reply to: matthew.d

Hi,

I have a AMD Radeon HD 6800, Windows10 Pro 64-bit (legal), Intel core i5-3570K.
The internet explorer fix didn't help ether.
The program works fine at a trail period now. It only crashes at the license check.
After i fill in the Serial number an the product key and push Next the program crashes.

Exact the same happens when i try to activate 3dsmax.

I made a screenclip movie so you can see what happens.

https://we.tl/wMoRFQZJsk

The only thing that i updated was the normal windows updates. No other software updates or patches have been made.

Hopefully you can help...

Hi @j.spierenburg,

Apologies for the trouble. Which graphics card are your using, have you updated it recently? Also have you tried the solution for the component not working here? Could you give us more details about your setup?
Message 44 of 74
j.spierenburg

Hi,

I have a AMD Radeon HD 6800, Windows10 Pro 64-bit (legal), Intel core i5-3570K.
The internet explorer fix didn't help ether.
The program works fine at a trail period now. It only crashes at the license check.
After i fill in the Serial number an the product key and push Next the program crashes.

Exact the same happens when i try to activate 3dsmax.

I made a screenclip movie so you can see what happens.

https://we.tl/wMoRFQZJsk

The only thing that i updated was the normal windows updates. No other software updates or patches have been made.

Hopefully you can help...

Hi @j.spierenburg,

Message 45 of 74
matthew.d

Hi @j.spierenburg,

Have you tried removing your license file yet? It is possible that it may have become corrupted and is not allowing the program to launch correctly. Here is how to remove your Autodesk Licensing information.

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 46 of 74
db.consulting

Get ccleaner and run the registry cleaner. Mine worked fine after that.

David Brown
db.consulting@sasktel.net
Message 47 of 74
j.spierenburg

I tried, but it didn't work...
Message 48 of 74

I also tried that, but it didn't work...
Message 49 of 74
support

Help,

I've tried the CCleaner, not helped, have logged a call with Autodesk, awaiting response.

Message 50 of 74
natasha.l
in reply to: support

Hello @joearrabal @support,

Welcome! This may be due to corrupt licensing, internet block, antivirus block, Internet Explorer LAN incorrect setting. 

Try the following series of steps: 

-Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet

-Turn off Antivirus & Firewall and retry

-Enable detect settings 

1. Clear the browser cache
  2. Browse to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Internet Option
  3. In the Advanced tab > Reset button to reset Internet Explorer's settings to the defaults
  4. In the Security tab, select Reset All Zones to Default level
  5. In the Content tab, select Clear SSL state
  6. Select Apply In the Control Panel >> Internet Options >> Connections tab >> LAN settings >>Automatically detect settings enabled

I hope this answered your question or resolved the issue, if so please click Kudos or the "thumbs-up!" Did my response help resolve the issue? Please "Accept As Solution" to help others in the community.

Message 51 of 74
j.spierenburg
in reply to: joearrabal

Dear support,

I already tried all the common solutions like these. They simply don't work. Isn't there a not already mentioned fix? If you made it, you should know a way around?! I'm waiting for weeks now. And all the autodesk programs give this same problem. Please give us a real solution in stead of copy-past solutions from your own website.
Message 52 of 74
support

This was the response I got from Autodesk, and it worked.

Script error launching AutoCAD 2017 or AutoCAD LT 2017

The solution out of the five mentioned in the link that worked for me was disconnecting the pc in question from the network while starting AutoCAD LT and once the Activation screen appeared reconnect to network and continue.

Worked like a dream.

Message 53 of 74
j.spierenburg

😞 .... Didn't work either... 

Message 54 of 74
natasha.l

Hello @j.spierenburg,

Sorry for the frustration but the suggestions provided have been proven to work for some customers. Try to reset licensing:

Reset Licensing for 2017 & Newer Versions 

Step 1: Forcing reactivation of the product

• Close any running Autodesk programs.
  • Remove all files under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ADUT.
  • Remove all files under C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ADUT.
  • Go to C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet and delete all files that start with adskflex.

LGS_data.png

STEP 2:  Reset the license information

• Using Windows Explorer, browse to the following folder:
    C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\CLM\LGS\<Product_Key>_2017.0.0.F 

LGS_data2.png

If the folder does not exist, create it. 

Note: The <Product_Key> must match the product that is giving the error. For example, if you get the error with 3ds Max 2017 you need to use product key 128I1. This is true even if you installed from a suite.

Delete the LGS.data file, if it exists.

• Using Notepad (or preferred text editor) create a new text file called LGS.data

Add the following text to the text file:
_STANDALONE (or _NETWORK if the product uses a network license). The text must be all capital letters.

Save the file to the following folder:
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\CLM\LGS\<Product_Key>_2017.0.0.F

Launch AutoCAD 2016 - you will need to reactivate it.

Please keep me posted. Smiley Happy

Message 55 of 74

I have been a user of Autocad since the version for a 286 was hot. This is not my first rodeo. I have been running 2012 AutoCad since Dec 2011 and had no issues from running on windows 7 through 10........ until an update of Windows 10 just after Thanksgiving of 2016. I contacted Autodesk and was told my version was "not supported on windos 10." I lost an entire day and half following the reinstall, wipe clean, delete files, BS exercises in here. They each sucked up time I dont have and EACH worked randomly to get the program running .... eventually....... but the issue reoccurred EACH TIME.  I was fired from the job I was trying to finish up for a client because of this issue. After rollling back the Windows update to before Thanksgiving, and finally getting the system  running again, I thought I had it solved. However, when I went to print the files for another job, just 4 days ago, I got the dreaded  "Checking License" stall again. NOW when I got it to work by roling back WIndows the original time, I went into Services and disabled Automatic Update Service in windows, SO my machine has not changed since then! The check license is back! About every 4th or 5th time I start Autocad, it gives the same checking license nonsense. I have only been able to fix it each time now by reinstalling through Control Panel, reinsert the disk, (I have a CD) and it will eventually get through the Checking License after an hour. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that I will pay for a new version "Subscription" when I see 2016, and 2017 owners have the SAME ISSUE!

What is going on here???? Someone else said it best, there is a HUGE problem here. I expect nothing less than a patch for all releases "supported" or not, otherwise I know my next logical step will not be with Autodesk "help". Investing (wasting)  this much time can only be wisely spent learning another system.

Message 56 of 74
j.spierenburg
in reply to: natasha.l

Hi Natasha,

Thanks for your reply, but this is also a know fix on the Autodesk website. It don't work. Special for you i tried again... But no... it still don't work.
So i tried a clean install again by remove all autodesk files, remove all autodesk registry files, used CC cleaner to clean all remaining autodesk files, and reinstall the latest online build. 
And guess what? Same problem. I only see one screen more, with the request code, never able to read that before.

I tried an install at a win 7 system, no problem... Tried a win 10 system at my job, same crash!
So i think (just as "wallenengineering" says)  its a win 10 problem.

Time for some tech guy's to look at it!

(for your information, i'm running Win10 Pro 64-bit (legal)
crash.png

Message 57 of 74
natasha.l

Hello @j.spierenburg,

Sorry to hear the issue couldn't be resolved with a more simple fix on our end. Windows 10 updates are a common issue on the forum. 

Thank you for reporting back with an update. Please let us know if you have any questions or if you can report back with your findings. 

Message 58 of 74
kimmei_poh

It worked for me this time. Not sure is this a temporary solution for Autocad 2017 educator version.

Message 59 of 74
j.spierenburg
in reply to: kimmei_poh

Thanks for you reply! It suddenly works now!
finally...

Message 60 of 74
natasha.l

Hello @j.spierenburg,

Thank you for informing the community about what worked for you. 

Please "Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolved the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Keep posting! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report