Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2016 stuck at "Checking License" in splash screen. Tried everything.

73 REPLIES 73
SOLVED
Message 1 of 74
joearrabal
38413 Views, 73 Replies

Autocad 2016 stuck at "Checking License" in splash screen. Tried everything.

Edit: this problems happens in a standalone install.

I've seen this problem reported in the forums for previous versions of Autocad, but none of the proposed solution worked for me. I installed Autocad 2016 in a new computer without any previous Autocad install. After ~2 months, the program gets stuck in the splash screen showing the message "Checking License". Yes, there are many threads about this out there, but nothing worked for me. 

Let me provide a little more technical detail about this. At some point during the program startup, it starts the "Flexnet Licensing Service" service, spawning a process named FNPLicensingService.exe, and this process hangs. If I kill such process, it seems that Autocad repeatedly starts if again. I also tried to start the service manually and it returns error 1053 (the service does not return the control to the Service Control Manager within 30 seconds). It seems this starts to happen after some time, not sure why. I've checked that FlexNet License Service folder contains files with last write time equal to the date I installed Autocad, which seems logical.

These are the things that I tried:

- Waiting for several hours for the "Checking License" screen to finish.

- Fully uninstalling and reinstalling Autocad

- Disabling antivirus and firewall

- Removing license files under %ProgamData%\Flexnet

- Removing %ProgramData%\Autodesk\AdLm, individual files or the whole folder. 

- Installing from a fresh newly created administrator account. 

- System restore to a restore point where everything worked. 

- Restored %ProgramData%\Autodesk\AdLm and/or %ProgamData%\Flexnet to previous versions. 

Things that I refuse to try because they are atrocities and potentially would hurt my computer:

- Downgrade Internet Explorer version (wtf)

- Formatting PC and start fresh (a coworker states that this happened to him and this is how he solved it)

My system also has Acrobat XI Pro (legal license), don't know if it may be related, and an old install of Autocad 2006, installed with Longbow Converter (the user requested so).

By the way, this happens on Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bits, joined to a domain. PC has Intel i3 processor (can provide more system info if needed/useful).

Please, I beg you, provide a solution for this. I've lost hours of work trying to fix this. Thank you very much.

73 REPLIES 73
Message 21 of 74
matthew.d
in reply to: bkspring

Hi @bkspring,

Welcome to the community!

Apologies for the trouble. It appears you weren't assigned the license in your Autodesk account. Could you try restarting the program, as it has now been assigned.

Hi @IconSystem,

Extremely sorry to hear about the trouble with your license. We definitely want the checking of the license to go smoothly. I am assuming that you are getting to the splash screen and the program is closing. Is this just for your AutoCAD subscription or other ones as well. Were you able to run the software successfully previously? Could you give some more details about your computer specs? 

I took a look into your cases, it seems the agents requested a request code from you and never heard back. Did you receive these emails? They may have reached your spam folder by mistake. You can reopen the cases, simply by replying to any of those emails. 

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 22 of 74
IconSystem
in reply to: matthew.d

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m getting to the splash screen and the program just hangs. It’s the same in AutoCAD 2013 and 2017 that I have been trying to re-install on my laptop for the last month. With 2017 I have been trying to install BDSU. I can get some of the components running, such as Navisworks Manage and Dynamo, but cannot get Revit or AutoCAD 2017 to start. Both hang. If you want to see what’s been going on please ask your colleagues to show you support cases 12112511 and 12199421. Both of these have been closed, even though I am exactly where I was four weeks ago with AutoCAD stuck at ‘Checking License…’.

Yesterday morning I was asked to provide a request code. I replied to Emily Xu ‘Unfortunately, that's not possible as neither copy of AutoCAD starts. They both just hang. AutoCAD 2013 hangs at the ‘Checking Licence...’ point. That's what this whole case has been about!’

Early afternoon Paula Elmer replied asking me to try again. I replied ‘AutoCAD 2013 is still stuck at the ‘Checking Licence…’ stage. AutoCAD 2017 refuses to install. Please refer to the attached email. It would also help you to refer to the previous case no. 12112511 and speak to Virgilio Garcia Muniz if you have not already done so.’

When I got home yesterday evening I had two more goes at reinstalling. Beforehand, I used your ‘wipe everything Autodesk’ process: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/installation-activation-licensing/get-ready/remove-p..., (this has become very familiar to me!)

On the first try I installed AutoCAD 2013 again and again it hangs at ‘Checking License…’. I did the uninstall again and this time tried the AutoCAD 2017 set-up. I managed to get AutoCAD installed but again it hangs at Checking License…’. I post all my findings back to the second support case number.

The next thing I find out is that the case has been closed. I have no idea why. It’s not resolved.

I’m going to ask for the case to be opened again. It would be helpful if you could see if you could do anything to assist.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Chris
Message 23 of 74
bkspring

Hi Mathew

Thanks for responding.  I have spent several painful hours running AVG maintenance, registry checker, etc, suspecting that something in my computer was keeping Autocad from completing the licensing check.  Neither my 2012 nor 2016 versions have been able to get past the 'license check' spash-screen since microsoft upgraded my Win 10 last week (thanks microsoft).   After running the maintenance program, my 2012 Acad started, so, at least I can get some work done again.  

My 2016 Acad won't start at all.   I reloaded it, and entered the serial # & product key, but it then says that my Activation code is not correct, and closes.  It won't let me enter the activation code.   What's with that?    If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.    I originally entered 2016 on my laptop, as I was going on a trip.   Now I want to load it on my home (office) computer, and am having this problem.   The program closes, not allowing me to enter the new activation code that autocad sent me.   I only get a message saying that "Your licnesd is invalid", then the program closes when I hit Ok..  (see photo).  Acad screen shot 2 _1.jpg

At least I have an old version working.   I can get something done again.   Perhaps there was something that the maintenance program cleaned up, which was keeping the 2012 version from loading.   I'm just glad I can play catchup this weekend.

best,

Message 24 of 74
matthew.d
in reply to: bkspring

Hi @IconSystem,

What operating system are you running AutoCAD 2013 on? Could you private message me with more details? I will help you further there.

Hi @bkspring,

As you issue is a bit different, then the thread topic. Could you also private message me with the serial number you are using and your most recent request code? I will get you activated, we may need to 2016 & older versions remove your old Autodesk licensing information, so it can be rewritten, allowing you to reactivate via an activation code.

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 25 of 74
IconSystem

Hi Again Matt,

It's Windows 10.

It's not just AutoCAD 2103, it's 2017 as well. And Revit 2017. And, probably, other versions I've not tried installing on this laptop...

I think really I'm better off waiting for a response from the support cases (numbers as shown in my last posting) that are in the hands of your licensing colleagues, as I have already provided an inordinate amount of detail to them.

If, on the other hand, you are able to access that correspondence and have some ideas as to how I can resolve this, please do. I would like *nothing* more than to be able to post a solution in this forum!

Regards, Chris
Message 26 of 74
bjwardlow
in reply to: IconSystem

I am having the same issue. Been working with Autodesk licensing department for last 2 days and cannot get it fixed. They have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times and it does not work.

Message 27 of 74
bjwardlow
in reply to: bjwardlow

I got a call back from someone at Autodesk. After 2 days, multiple uninstalls and reinstalls, uninstalling windows 10 updates, and many frustrating hours lost, a representative downloaded the free version of CC Cleaner and ran it. In 5 minutes my issue was fixed. This is kind of frustrating that it took so long, but I am so happy to finally be back up and running. I hope this helps someone else get this issue fixed!

Message 28 of 74
IconSystem
in reply to: bjwardlow

CCleaner WORKS!

I downloaded the free version from https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download went to the Registry Cleaner and ONLY ticked 'ActiveX and Class Issues'. There was a whole bunch of them. I used the backup registry option and then deleted them all. I run AutoCAD 2017, that's been stuck at 'Checking License...' for weeks, and IT WORKS!

To investigate further, I restore the registry. AutoCAD 2017 doesn't work. I run CCleaner again, AutoCAD 2017 works. I try this a few times. I get the same results each time.

I re-install AutoCAD 2013. It's the same there. Run CCleaner and it works. Restore the old registry, it fails.

Thanks for the tip @bjwardlow!

Regards, Chris
Message 29 of 74
kjohnson219

Chris, I just tried CCleaner and used it to only fix the "AcitveX and Class Issues" but did not fix the "checking license freeze". I'm running AutoCAD LT 2017. 

Should I try to tick any of the other options? TIA!

Message 30 of 74
frankw3
in reply to: joearrabal

Our IT guy dug into this and found the registry had multiple license locations separated by commas. How this happened is beyond me but we have been getting requests to confirm the address at program start every month or so prior to this. None of the other fixes listed here worked.

He changed it to a single  server address and it runs fine.  CC Cleaner did not work.

Message 31 of 74
rkmcswain
in reply to: frankw3

Use a semicolon, not a comma.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 32 of 74
frankw3
in reply to: rkmcswain

The system (Windows or Autodesk?) had put in the commas. No one on this site seems to have found this or are keeping mum  about it. Why there are multiple entries is another question. Could be installation of multiple versions of multiple Autodesk products which kept on stacking up. The tech deleted the older versions of Autocad in the troubleshooting process but at did not work.

Message 33 of 74
rkmcswain
in reply to: frankw3

If you are talking about the Windows environment variable ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE, then someone had to manually enter that or programatically (via login script for example) create it.

Neither AutoCAD or Windows would do this.

It is possible to use multiple server names. We do this because our X number of licenses are split up between multiple LMs. You just have to use a semicolon as the separator.

More details: http://cadpanacea.com/wp/?p=1304

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 34 of 74
IconSystem
in reply to: kjohnson219

Hi @kjohnson219,

I was new to CCleaner when I first ran it, so cleaned up all sorts of things before I narrowed it down to the "AcitveX and Class Issues" bit. I'd try whatever you like but backup the registry and, I suppose, be prepared to reinstall Windows if it all goes horribly wrong!

Good luck.

Regards, Chris
Message 35 of 74
jakob_nielsen

I had the same problem, and found out that I had 2 active .NET running at the same time.
Opening AutoCAD went from 1+ hour to 10 seconds by only enabling .NET 3.5.
In my case I had to disable .NET 6.2, but it might be another version for others. It’s easy to enable again if it has no effect.
Control Panel / Programs and Functions / Turn Windows features on or off
Message 36 of 74
db.consulting

I am using 14lt on Windows 10. Over the course of a week the delaying kept getting worse to complete lockup on 'checking license' .  The CCleaner worked. Thanks very much.  Get the word out. 

Message 37 of 74
frankw3
in reply to: rkmcswain

I just saw the service ticket for this. I'm no tech person so just passing along what it said.

"Edit registration key to show only @ (IP address) HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\FLEXlm License Manager"

There were multiple instances of the license location.

I edited out the IP address of the server.

I assure you I did not do that manually and this has been my PC for 5 years.

Message 38 of 74
j.spierenburg
in reply to: joearrabal

crash.jpg
Same here now at all my autodesk programs (Autocad2017 and 3dsmax2017). All the know fixes didn't work.
Anyone a solution that isn't mentioned here?

It all worked fine till yesterday?! No changes made to hardware or software.

Message 39 of 74
natasha.l
in reply to: j.spierenburg

Hello @j.spierenburg,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with you're AutoCAD 2017 software. Have you made sure to connect to the internet in the past 30days and that it was a good connection. 

Subscription & Student Software Requirement 

For the initial installation and sign in, an Internet connection is required. After activation, the software works offline for up to 30 days. After 30 days, connect to the Internet to continue using the software. The software reminds you seven days before you need to connect to the Internet to renew your license. An Internet connection is required to access cloud services.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/installation-activation-licensing/install-configure/...

I hope this answered your question or resolved the issue, if so please click Kudos or the "thumbs-up!" Did my response help resolve the issue? Please "Accept As Solution" to help others in the community.

Message 40 of 74
j.spierenburg
in reply to: natasha.l

Hi Natasha,

My computer has an internet connection all the time.
I tried any of the possible solutions mentioned in the first post of this discussion. 
The latest thing i could think of to try was this:
-Uninstall all autodesk programs
-Delete every file connected to autodesk programs
-Delete all regestry codes from the windows regestry
-download a full installer
-go offline
-activate mannualy

But.... same problem. When i put in de codes and than push next:
crash2.jpg

The whole program terminates.

Any idea to fix this?

Jesper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report